Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve a vintage tenor piece that has no markings on it. It came with
a perfectly fitting lig and cover marked Berg Larsen.
Could it be real?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll post pics asasp.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,374 Posts
I agree. It looks totally legit. If you put it under a magnifier, it might be possible to see some of the original writing. The only Berg copies I have seen were metal.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I can get good close-ups. I'll try. Maybe I can get someone with a better camera to give you a close-up.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a good look with a magnifier and couldn't see any etchings.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you please tell me what model period we're talking about? Thanks!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,374 Posts
bullet chamber?
Yes, it has that (your second photo shows it best). Look at the U-shaped cutout on the baffle where it drops into the chamber. That's what some refer to as a 'bullet' baffle/chamber. It's sort of like a cast of a bullet. Sort of...

Definitely looks like a Berg. I don't know if any other mpc of that vintage had a bullet baffle. Plenty of modern pieces do, but the 'bullet' cutouts aren't all exactly alike; some are more 'defined' (like the Berg) than others.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
It is hard to say exactly which period without seeing better pictures of the stamp area and the table as well. Most likely it is either a type-font offset berg (which I think is late 1950's-mid 1960's) which has a specific font and specific vertical milling, or it is a normal offset with horizontal milling, perhaps from the late 1960's-1970's. I don't know yet but any of these can be good (or bad).

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes indeed, Sean! I'm liking the sound. I may not play tenor for a while. as I'm renting an alto to try a lighter instrument, (I'm fighting osteoarthritis in my wrists and shoulder). I hope I can get back on tenor eventually and use this great mpc. My tech/renter included a very good Meyer 6 piece with the YAS23. Excellent guy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts