Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been playing for 1 year on a Berg Larsen 110 2 sms mouthpiece on my baritone sax and I really love its sound and power (mostly played in brass band, rock ,funk). But there is a problem: I always break my reed after one or two hours of play.

I use Vandoren red cut 3, I tryed 3 1/2 but they're too hard, i tried regular cut but it doesn't really fit on it... I've always been playing with Vandoren reeds on alto or tenor, should I try other reed brands ?

Do you have any other suggestions to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Arthur, from France
(sorry for my approximate english!)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Two options:
* The mouthpiece is bad (not unheard of with Berg Larsen) and needs some work , or
* You take too little mouthpiece into your mouth and possibly bite (check where you put your upper teeth in comparison to where a new reed meets the mouthpiece)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Can you please define 'break your reed'?

Is your piece Ebonite (aka Hard rubber) or metal? Regardless - send it to a competent re-facer for evaluation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,707 Posts
Regardless - send it to a competent re-facer for evaluation.
Waste of money. He says he likes the way it plays and he's used it for a year. Altering it could ruin his mouthpiece of choice, and if it's metal, no one wants to work on them anyway.

So yeah, best bet try some different reeds and see if they break the same way. If so, the problem is probably embouchure related.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Vandoren Red Javas are great reeds, French file cut. I use them myself — they're the best of the real cane reeds, but quite expensive. Ça coûte !

Here are two possible solutions:

1. Try a 2,5 and set it a little further back from the tip of the mouthpiece.

2. Get a synthetic reed. If you like Vandoren Red Java, a Harry Hartmann's Fiberreed, Hemp, MH (Medium Hard) strength should suit you well. www.fiberreed.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,005 Posts
How are your reeds breaking? Are they chipping at the tip?

It may be that your reeds are breaking because of your tonguing technique and reed position, and would happen regardless of your choice of mouthpiece.

Reeds should not break. Something else is happening here.

Hi,

I've been playing for 1 year on a Berg Larsen 110 2 sms mouthpiece on my baritone sax and I really love its sound and power (mostly played in brass band, rock ,funk). But there is a problem: I always break my reed after one or two hours of play.

I use Vandoren red cut 3, I tryed 3 1/2 but they're too hard, i tried regular cut but it doesn't really fit on it... I've always been playing with Vandoren reeds on alto or tenor, should I try other reed brands ?

Do you have any other suggestions to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Arthur, from France
(sorry for my approximate english!)

·
Registered
521 Posts
You have some strong chops. Vandoren V16 reeds have strong tips for players who like to blow hard. Practice playing with less tension if you can. I also agree with the Hemp reeds being a good strong reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
If you are not opposed to Legere. Try a 2 1/4 Legere Signature. Works real well for me on my B.L. 100/0 and 110/0

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,364 Posts
It is possible that the ligature is too tight or malformed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts