Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a possible trade I received this Berg Larsen for Amanda to test.
Before I hand it over I gave the piece a once-over.

The 'seller' stated "I just had Matt marantz look at it last week. He said looks original."

Here are pictures of the piece. Does this look 'original'??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,606 Posts
Hard to tell from photos, but to me it looks right.
If it's the bullet chamber you're concerned about, I can assure you that the grinding marks in that area are also present on my Berg piece.
It looks like a denim tabled piece from what I can make out, so if the denim pattern is consistent throughout the table, that is also a good indicator.
As long as it plays well, it really shouldn't matter unless it has been butchered, which it doesn't seem to be.

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Maybe ask Matt Marantz (he is a forum member here on SOTW) if he really checked this piece out?

To me the scratches on the baffle don't look original, but I think they won't effect the way the mouthpiece plays. In the first picture it looks like the tip/rail area upper right in the picture has some irregularities, but it's hard to see on this low quality picture. The rough area in the bullet looks like a normal Berg to me. Could be that someone experimented a bit with a baffle insert in this piece, but it's just a guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts