Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Bergs of all vintages have been hit and miss...I haven't seen the very latest ones but I would look for an older piece..the older the better. The offset Slant signature ones from the 40's and 50's are the most sought after and can be really nice. On alto I always thought the 2 chamber worked the best and bear in mind if you want a 75 tip for example you might have to buy an 80 and so on. The old rubber altos can be superb too but the stainless holds up better assuming it's not been dropped on the tip ( common).
The quality of facing on the older ones particularly when Berg himself ran the company was much better.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
Your'r right about the size, I have an old Berg SS alto 90-2-m (offset), but it's a 80 in real life. regarding the quality, you have try it, if you want to find a one that work "properly". My first berg for tenor was a new one in the blue box, it play good right of the shelf, many year later, I buy a second one as a back up (gray and red box, this time I have to try much more sample to find one. The first one was right at 110, the second one being also a 110 run much smaller with a longer lay also. As information I remember Doc Tenney saying it was believing the non bullet one are better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts