Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using a berg larsen for alto? It seems it might best of both worlds for what i'm looking for. Great Projection, little bright little warm. Anybody have anything about these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,911 Posts
I've been lusting after a particular metal berg alto for a few years, but it still isn't for sale. Maybe his widow (A long time in the future please) will sell it to me.

Never tried a HR Berg on alto but it works well on my tenor, as does the metal - both with touched up facings.

·
4,147 Posts
I played a couple when I was looking for an alto mouthpiece (90/1 and 85/1) and they were total pieces of crap, but that's not much since it is Berg Larson...

·
13,911 Posts
Quality control for BL is probably the worst there is. That is why I don't just buy another BL like the one I played. Buy the one that plays for you because the next dozen may be garbage.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just enjoy it if it's working. Dick Oatts has always played one and Charles McPherson often has. I've never heard anything but great tones from both of them.
Problems with consistency don't matter if you're just talking about one mouthpiece that you own. I have a nice 90/1 and though I haven't played it for years, I didn't find they varied too much when I bought it (I tried some recently and they all felt quite good).I know other people have had different experiences though.
Jamie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts