Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the vast majority of Boutique Mouthpiece makers copies of Otto Links(Slants, or Florida STMs), and MeYers(NY Bros, NY USA) but it seems like no one is copying vintage Bergs even though tons of people that play vintage Bergs seem to love them.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny, I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The same design with today's quality control should be very interesting.
Babbitt, Selmer quality control?

http://www.pms-music.de/Mundstucke/...ala_Bildergalerie/guardala_bildergalerie.html

Some of these chambers look more like Berg designs than Guardalas.
It's like Sugal with the bad Lawton clones, why copy a crappy design?
I think the Kings are designed after Bergs, because I thought King Curtis himself played a berg?

and I personally use MeYer and Link style pieces but I don't think properly made Bergs are bad pieces but so little of them come by.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Babbitt, Selmer quality control?
On the contrary. I was thinking along the line of today's precise CNC machining. Vintage Bergs are like a box of chocolates. That has hurt their reputation. A newer version with high standards may attract more interest.

I have a Bari berg. It's a good one and my only Bari mp now. I never would of bought it if I couldn't try it first. If someone was pumping out exact copies of it, I'm certain it would sell.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,311 Posts
It seems like the vast majority of Boutique Mouthpiece makers copies of Otto Links(Slants, or Florida STMs), and MeYers(NY Bros, NY USA) but it seems like no one is copying vintage Bergs even though tons of people that play vintage Bergs seem to love them.
I don't actually copy a Berg, but PPTs are very much inspired by a vintage Berg. Only better, of course.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Brancher possibly. I have one of their metal tenor pieces (E29) with a Berg-ish bullet chamber, and it's exceptionally well finished.

-j.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I seem to recall that the most recent batches of Bergs appear to be very consistent. In fact it's some of the "older" Bergs that are really off (80's - early 2000's) and inconsistent. The shortcoming is mostly in the refinement of the modern designs.

·
1,365 Posts
I don't actually copy a Berg, but PPTs are very much inspired by a vintage Berg. Only better, of course.
Yup- my PPT was very Larsen-ous (Larceny..?)... in a good way!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Funny, I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The same design with today's quality control should be very interesting.
Then, how come with todays quality control, original New York Meyers are selling for $1800 and none of the copies selling for at least a couple of hundred bucks really sound like New York Meyers? In 60 years saxophone players will be buying 2011 Babbitt Meyers for $1800.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Then, how come with todays quality control, original New York Meyers are selling for $1800 and none of the copies selling for at least a couple of hundred bucks really sound like New York Meyers? In 60 years saxophone players will be buying 2011 Babbitt Meyers for $1800.
Well, I don't know why anyone would buy a mp for $1800 ?!?!? I'd rather buy lessons with the cash, but that's me ;) That said, the old Meyers are sought after due much for the older hard rubber. The manufacturing of today's copies have better tolerances in replication.

·
6,831 Posts
Aaron Drake made me a very good Berg copy for my Bari (though he nixed the "bullet" in the chamber almost completely, but it sounds way better, is far easier to control than my old "duckbill" Berg).

BARI also makes a very Berg-like metal piece.

Drake's high baffle pieces will blow any Berg out of the water!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I agree about the Ponzols. After trying tons of mouthpieces, that's where I landed. To me, they have the best qualities of a Berg with a dash of Link thrown in.

·
13,063 Posts
I agree on the Lebayle, I found the Jazz metal to have some properties.

Since it is so hard to get stainless worked on I find the best route to a good berg is by going hard rubber and having someone correct the ongoing errors that exist in these pieces. When they are done well they are a lot of fun to play.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,219 Posts
isn't an rpc a berg copy??????
I don't know if the rpc is a berg copy, but I think it's a similar design idea: big tip, various baffle sizes, BIG sound. But far more consistent from what I've heard about bergs.

·
13,063 Posts
The RPC is a very different blank. It has a big baffle so it is brighter but it doesnt make it a berg.
Im not knocking it...its just a different animal.

My berg is a HR version I picked off ebay for a decent price and refaced it.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yup RPC's are made to order and they have every sort of baffle configuration high step, to low rollover you name it, just call Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts