Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil.Its the bullet chamber that has the step near the side wall, could they have sent it out like that in the day.? 90thou is a bit open for me could it be cleaned up.? racer

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
I hate when I push the wrong button and erase my reply.

I was saying...it could be. A lot of that chamber work was done by hand
There are a lot of ugly chambers...looks alone dont keep a piece from sounding and playing great.
Old Lambersons when he used Babbitt blanks looked like they had chambers attacked by screwdrivers...but they were really good pieces.

It can be closed. I think .090 is a bit big for alto myself.
It can also be cleaned up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got an old Berg Precision 90 piece that has what look like file marks on the inside of the side rails and I'd always assumed that someone had tried modifying it. But I've seen photos of other similar marks on old Bergs for sale on ebay and on here, so I wondered if these fine, regularly spaced grooves were from the manufacturing process. It plays well, with a woodier tone than some of the modern ones.
90 isn't so bad to play, but this was my first mouthpiece, so I'm used to it..
Trying to find info on the approximate eras of the different Bergs I have is difficult - the Precision, the one's with the more rounded end on the shank, the step baffle etc
Theo's mouthpiece museum page is helpful, but gives less info on ebonite Bergs. Perhaps it's just not possible to know with any certainty how old these things are and it's best to stick to playing them

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
The subject mouthpiece has been refaced and generally messed-with. You'll probably like it after a good reface back to .080 and a good clean-up on the guts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts