Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure this mouthpiece is from the late 60's, it's a really well made example of what a great Berg should look like and play. I play .120-.125 with a 2.5 reed on the mouthpieces I gig on and that's plain and simple what I like. Is it realistic to think someone could open this up to a .120? Should I sell it as it is to someone who wants a medium open Berg. Part of me thinks A mpc that's 50 years old that plays well should be left stock.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Whether it can be opened up that much depends on how much material there is to work with. I doubt that there is. If it were me, I'd sell the piece and use the funds to get something in the tip opening that you really want. Or you could gamble on whether, when refaced, (if it can be refaced) it turns out to be what you're really looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,046 Posts
It's incredibly hard to find refacers willin to work on stainless, and even then, the cost is insanely high to open it even a fraction, like from a 7-7*. I'd sell it and use the funds to find one in your desired tip size, as suggested above.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's incredibly hard to find refacers willin to work on stainless, and even then, the cost is insanely high to open it even a fraction, like from a 7-7*. I'd sell it and use the funds to find one in your desired tip size, as suggested above.
Indeed. An original 120 would be a much better starting point for a refacing, should a fine adjustment be needed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I pretty much knew before I posted that this 105 Berg wasn't going to be a strong candidate to open up the tip opening. I'll eventually put it in the marketplace for trade consideration or an outright sale. I should post a photo of it, it's a definitive looking bullet chamber Berg from a great Berg era.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts

I made a mistake of thinking it's "incredibly hard" to find a stainless refacer. It's not..In fact our own Mojo Bari lists stainless work on his website. I sent mine to Brian Powell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts