Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Berg 110-2 SMS,(duckbill from the sixties???) recently and it is obviously hand finished. I'm not sure if this one is factory hand finished, or after-work. It plays great , not too bright with lush bottom.

berg_110-2_SMS_(10).jpg berg_110-2_SMS_(00).jpg berg_110-2_SMS_(07).jpg

Any insights from anyone?

Regards

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,171 Posts
I doubt the mouthpiece is from the 60s, as the SMS is not offset. Likely the box is older than the mouthpiece, possibly the lig with paddle screws as well. Irrespectively, if the mouthpiece was hand finished at the factory, you probably have a great piece. Take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FwRoUtrh40

Others on this site will know way more.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Didn't Berg come out with a modern "Vintage" model that recreated some of the vintage characteristics, like Link has with their Vintage models. Maybe this is one of those? I don't know if they came in a modern box or a modern recreation of a vintage box.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
It's been my experience that most of the 60's - 70's "2" chambers were drop baffles, not bullet chambers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't Berg come out with a modern "Vintage" model that recreated some of the vintage characteristics, like Link has with their Vintage models. Maybe this is one of those? I don't know if they came in a modern box or a modern recreation of a vintage box.

This is not modern "Vintage", definitely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts