Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bent shank on a mouthpiece

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  king of jazz 
#1 ·
Hello.

I noticed that one of my mouthpiece has been bent a tiny bit on the shank...at about 1 o'clock as can be seen from the picture. Can a mouthpiece expert fix this without damaging silver plating, and if so, whom should I contact to?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like it was dropped. Shouldn't be a problem to fix with the right tools. I suspect you don't need a mouthpiece expert, just someone that normally fixes brasswind mouthpieces (happens all the time with those).

#3 ·
You will laugh but you know what I use...look through your socket set and find a socket that fits small bolts but a larger ratchet size. They have a nice tapered/fluted shape. Be sure that the larger part is too big to go in the bore of the mpc. Take the socket, small end first and put it in the bore. After that give it a good tap on a garage floor while holding the mouthpiece. You will be surprised, a few taps and it goes right back into round. I have used it on gold plate with no problems. I would assume silver would be the same as neither are thick or brittle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.