Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and thanks for reading. well I have a bent D key on my tenor sax ( and by this i mean the 6th key where the right "ring finger is") and I don't really have the cash for a guy to fix a whole bunch of other things and charging me for it. It got slightly bent during marching band and now I can't play a high or low D as easily. does anyone know a quick and easy way to bend back the key without damaging it more? I know a kid who used to do his own repairs on his sax well and it really would help if i could get it fixed ASAP, preferably on my own.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,559 Posts
Pics?
The guys could tell you a lot more if they could see how bad the 'damage' is.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Interesting fear. They always make you pay more than you planned on and I usually give in to them. Where I go, he doesn't even ask me what I want done, he tells me what he's going to do.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
"does anyone know a quick and easy way to bend back the key without damaging it more? "

Slip a piece of breakfast cereal package cardboard or similar under the pad where it closes first. Press firmly down above the place where it closes last. You may have to do a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. Instead of cardboard, you can use a bank note, folded to a suitable thickness at the end.

My very first instrument repairs on crappy flutes when I had no other resources with me, amounted to just that.

It may be a little unreliable because of the felt in the pad gradually reverting after being slightly crushed. But a lot better than nothing. Alternatively, use a similar method but with an ordinary knife across the tone hole, supporting the resonator, instead of the cardboard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and
are two picture of the D key once it is pressed down with normal pressure. I have to really press hard to get any sound out of the note and it comes out really flat sounding. It also affects other high notes. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You'll need to host the file online or upload it, not provide a link to a specific file directory on your computer.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,048 Posts
I have to really press hard to get any sound out of the note and it comes out really flat sounding. It also affects other high notes. any help would be greatly appreciated.
The photos don't work, and the D key might be bent, but if higher notes than D have problems too i.e. notes where you don't press the D key, then it sounds like there is another problem in addition to the bent D key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
I cant see a situation where the D Key could get bent without anything else getting damaged. As Clarnibass has mentioned there may be another associated problem and I would guess if there has been trauma neaer the D key the Lower Low Eb post may have taken a knock making leaks on the low Eb and Low C (if its mounted on the same post)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Go here,

http://photobucket.com/

follow the directions and upload the photos from your computer.

Then copy the link to those photos and paste it in a reply to this thread.

If you can accomplish that, there's a small chance that several very good techs here, Gordon, Clanibass, Steve, Griff, Matt, etc can look at them and make at least some sort of diagnosis.

If you have difficulty with that, then repairing bent keys, and possibly/probably bent posts, rods, body tube, will be somewhat beyond challenging.

Until then don't try anything. If there's one thing that really annoys techs, and costs you big bucks, it's a half a$$ed botched up D.I.Y attempt that just turns a simple repair into a time consuming and expensive overhaul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts