Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this LP about 40 years ago and just found back the full recording on YouTube.

Songs:
00:00 - A1 - Squaty Roo
13:05 - A2 - Tribute To Louis Armstrong
- When It's Sleepy Time Down South (feature Cat Andersen)
- Confessin' That I Love You (feature Benny Carter on trumpet)
- When You're Smiling (feature Joe Newman)
19:21 - B1 - Them There Eyes
31:03 - B2 - It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

Musicians:
・Benny Carter (Alto Saxophone, Trumpet)
・Budd Johnson (Tenor Saxophone)
・Cecil Payne (Baritone Saxophone, Flute)
・Britt Woodman (Trombone)
・Cat Anderson (Trumpet)
・Joe Newman (Trumpet)
・Mundell Lowe (Guitar)
・George Duvivier (Bass)
・Nat Pierce (Piano)
・Harold Jones (Drums)

Great and swinging music played by master musicians in top form! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,250 Posts
Wow, just listened to the whole thing and that was pretty intense. Again, that was the music and personnel of my dad's generation, and if I go over and search his very extensive collection, it just might be in there.

But again, these were people who were only earning a living when their instruments were in their hands and this is very, very serious business. I got to see some of this during my early days in NYC and if these guys weren't actually on a gig, they were going to or coming from a gig, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Recording sessions all day, and a band gig all night. That was survival in NYC.

Benny Carter was a rough type of chap. He looked you in the eye and told you what he expected of you and if you thought you could get slick and take the short cut, something bad would happen to you. And if you thought you could physically overpower Benny Carter, then you'd better hope you were close to the hospital or ambulance service because you would most likely need that before too long. Peter, I told you that story of Benny firing Jacquet from the all-star gig in California. Jacquet told me he had tried to man up to Benny and he sure seemed glad that he made it back to the hotel with all his teeth! He was happy that all he lost was a job.

I met Benny's wife at a NYE gig I was working in Connecticut some years after he had passed. She told me that Benny was really a trumpet player and that he resorted to the alto because his writing required too much time for him to keep his trumpet chops up, so the alto was the port in that storm.

I met and talked with him the same afternoon he kicked Jacquet out of that theater in Oakland, and I could tell from his manner he was not to be trifled with. Old school bandleader - be on time, wear your uniform, and don't make any mistakes - and you won't get fired, hopefully.

Thanks Peter.

·
Premium Member
18,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for those wonderful stories Julian, much appreciated. :)

I've always liked Benny Carter more on trumpet than on alto, so a kind of a pity (for me!) that he did put so much time in writing music, which made him picking the alto as his main instrument.

I've also read that Ben Webster had a lot of respect for Benny Carter (and Duke Ellington). Big Ben was a tough guy himself, so that says even more about Benny Carter! Your Jacquet (far from a shy guy himself!) story above confirms that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts