Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a thread about tone, but the development of the foundation for tone.

To practice with a 2 1/2 Legere signature
To perform with a 2 1/2 Alexander DC

To me that legere feels a lot more resisting than my DCs. It requires much more air, and push to get it singing and it's slightly out of my comfort zone. All the while the DC feels like butter.

Would practicing with stiffer reeds than your used to be beneficial?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
Maybe...maybe not. I know some teachers suggest practicing at times with a harder reed for building strength and endurance. A stiff reed can also help when you're learning to play altissimo. The downside is that you lose a lot of nuance in tone production. In fact, I've found myself playing with a slightly softer reed for the past 3 or 4 years than I played for a long time just because of the subtleties in the tone and dynamics. I've also found that the pitch is better. So, maybe like you suggested, practicing with a hard reed on occasion might help in some ways, but avoid the temptation to switch to a hard reed for the sake of volume, etc..

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speaking from limited experience, if their is too much of a difference it will not be beneficial.
Playing soft reeds is really hard after playing/practicing with harder reeds. It's hard to produce a good tone, sustaining notes, and not overblow.
I suggest playing with reeds most comfortable to you because you will improve a lot faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts