Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben Webster Trio - Where Are You?

LISTEN....More folks should also be learning tunes like this too.Not just the sos out the real book-real modern tunes with GREAT MELODYS and do it with your thumbprint. LEARN FROM THIS.

Personnel: Ben Webster (tenor sax), Jimmy Rowles (piano), Red Mitchell (bass)

from the album 'BILL HARRIS AND FRIENDS'

and jimmy rowles....whew!!:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Ha! This is one of my favorites. And I''m ashamed to say I've never bothered to learn it. I'll add it to the list. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Always liked this tune as well, don't know the history but I have recordings of Sinatra, Dexter, and Sonny doing this one. But, never heard this one - beautiful!

He was sure a master of the slow tempo, so patient. And, that incredible tone and expressiveness. Thank you for sharing this!!!

shawn

·
Registered
609 Posts
Another Gem for sure! Tim, I think there a lot of us older guys here and probably some dedicated younger ones also who do listen, play and appreciate the great standards more than you may think. Last night I interupted my practice session
to put on some Louis Armstrong and play along with him. My goal is to put on one cd of my 1400 cd jazz collection and play along for a couple of tunes at the end of my practice...is there any benefit in that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,919 Posts
My goal is to put on one cd of my 1400 cd jazz collection and play along for a couple of tunes at the end of my practice...is there any benefit in that?
Of course there is. It will develop your ear, among many other things. Plus, it's fun.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - that is a really incredible performance. Amazing sound, style, and soul. Big Ben had it all.
Thanks, Tim.
BEN.....was a man of sound. So great.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I stuck an old Tom Scott CD in the car player last week, had a version of "Everything Must Change" on it.

The last line of that song is "Music makes me cry".

This one made me cry. Thanks Tim, you always choose the nuggets.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks Tim,

For once again opening my ears. I've listened to Ben Webster an have enjoyed his sound. But now as I listen I appreciate that sound and what he's doing with it a lot more. Thanks for the post.

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tim,

For once again opening my ears. I've listened to Ben Webster an have enjoyed his sound. But now as I listen I appreciate that sound and what he's doing with it a lot more. Thanks for the post.
DIG THIS...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
DIG THIS...

That Webster/Hawkins album was one of the first jazz albums I ever bought. I love his slow version of "Time After Time"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts