Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently studying some Ben Webster solos that i transcribed to learn that specific language style. I also searched a little and find out a Ben Webster Solo Transcription Book, but it isn't being sold anywhere... i think it is out of print for good but i wanted to have it anyway...

does any of you have it? maybe a little sharing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
I saw one in a music shop in Paris in about 1997. Stupidly, I didn't buy it then and didn't make a note of the author, title or publisher. I wish I had bought it as I've never seen it since then.

If anyone does have it (or a similar book of Webster transcriptions) I would love to get hold of it.

Rhys

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
perfect example of why NOT to use a transcription book..

it's not WHAT he plays...it's HOW he plays it

you will learn infinately more from transcribing ONE frog solo than by reading a whole book

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts

you will learn infinately more from transcribing ONE frog solo than by reading a whole book
Hm... I was thinknig sometihng similar, Ben Webster's genius was his tone, and sound texture, not his choice of notes

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes.... and i can do both, play the book and my own transcription, i don't see why not.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Indeed. My first thought upon seeing the subject line was "What are the notation symbols for the different kinds of fuzz he coated his notes with?" (Please excuse my dangling participle, something up with which I'm sorry you must put.)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There a lot of solos that no one transcribes and a lot of solos already transcribed one books. Sometimes i transcribe solos already transcribed on good revised publications but generally i transcribe the ones that no one transcribe. For me this means more info and i can feel me growing musically. Like you said, this is not about the notes so why transcribe the same notes again?.. This is my opinion about my practice plans and they work for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts