Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What facing Bellite Custom would equate to a Beechler Diamond Inlay 5?

Is the baffle on the Custom higher than the Diamond? If so, I would think going up at least one size would be appropriate, but would like to hear some recommendations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Beechler has a website with facing charts, check it out.
Beelite Custom and the Diamond Inlay black mouthpiece are very different mouthpieces in all respects.

I just read through the website, i was curious what the precise differnece is between the Bellite and the Bellite Custom. The website doesnt say, and doesnt show any photos of the facings/ baffles on either one.

A poster on SOTW (BENJAMIN) in a discussion thread centered around the Yanagisawa metal alto mouthpiece, has said he has compared BELLITE and BELLITE CUSTOM and finds them to be the same, except the CUSTOM's generally play better than all but the better made non CUSTOM's. (To try to paraphrase from memory what he and also JD have said.)

Further, I dont know any place to BUY a CUSTOM model. They arent sold on wwbw or any other online retailer i know. Maybe you can get one direct from the company, the website says they will sell direct.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went from a Bellite 6 to a Bellite 7 Custom. The biggest difference I have found between the two is the custom has less of the really high overtones in the sound. Which results in a little less harshness in the tone. Both are great mouthpieces, but the custom is definitely better. The Bellite 6 is for sale if you are interested. I got my custom from Weiner's website (a fantastic service BTW).

Check out the Beechler website for the tip opening specifics. Going from a HR to a Beechler metal will be a huge adjustment both in sound and in embouchure. The Beechlers are the thinnest profile mouthpieces I have played, including Guardalas. If you think that's the sound you want, then you'll make the adjustment, just be ready for it to be weird for a little while.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I posed the question wrong: I am aware of the actual tip openings. What I am interested in is, does a 5 DI play like a 5 Bellite, a 6 Bellite, or a 7 etc. From past experiences, the higher baffle pieces play a little smaller. I was just wondering which one to start the trials with.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from Weiner's website:

The customizing option is an alternate contour applied to the baffle and chamber of the mouthpiece. This provides acoustic and dynamic features desired by some professionals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts