50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone advise if it is wise to purchase a horn with a non-circular
Bell to Body Support ring....

:cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If the bell brace was meant to be circular ○ but is now oval like this 0 then it's had some trauma such as a fall and landed on the front of the bell.

They can be straightened out and the bell realigned again, but any damage that results in the bell being shunted in from the front will cause significant damage to the bell and also the body tube and nearby toneholes, so best to be cautious if you see anything like that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to Griff n Chris!!!

It is not a clean oval, more like a squashed Circle which has become somewhat triangular... Hence I suppose it has had a
fall...

However, the bell looks fine...

Hmmm.... Anyway I can send a photo for you to see the brace???

Well, the reason is because I bought this horn from a very reputed seller who claimed this horn has gone through
some rough times... And it does look like it... The whole body is quite wavy.... almost from top to bottom....

The guy said its one of the best horns... Though its a replate...

After talking to some of the sax techs, I feel I bought something that no body would even think of buying at the kind of price either...

Hence very puzzled...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
After talking to some of the sax techs, I feel I bought something that no body would even think of buying at the kind of price either...
I wouldn't touch it.

Once again, people asking whether to buy a horn AFTER the purchase.

Enjoy the horn - I doubt you will sell it to anyone here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
I thought Selmer designed these things to crumple so that it took the force of a knock. It seemed to me that the idea was that these could be unscrewed and replaced.
These days the ring has been beefed up to something much more substantial with some manufacturers making a solid piece. Isn't this defeating the purpose of the ring?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
The remaining considerations (to me) would include the question of what else is out of alignment? Is there damage in the bow/body joint? What of key alignment? What else has been "fixed" in the repairs to make it playable? What else needs to be corrected if the ring is replace?

No thanks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I also have a Selmer whose bell brace isn't 100% clean and the guy who sold it to me told me that the bell was sitting closer to the the body than it is supposed to. It still plays fine and there's no weird rattle or anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DR G, Thanks for your very direct comment. Once again another post after purchase. Yes, I had many problems before getting the horn and i was about to give up but the seller told me its a damn good horn.... hence i give in.

Everyone in this forum will know the shop if i mention it here i think... hence i'm quite upset....

well, anyway its a very expensive lesson learnt.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oric Muso, very convincing comment. The bell of the horn is intact... just that the ring is not circular... My Sax tech tells me to leave it because it plays fine... Wondering
to fix it or not... but like what Dr G said, it seems a lot of other areas are actually affected in a very big way.... my bad...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts