Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's tenor has lost its bell screw. Anyone know what size this screw is? I'd like to try to get a replacement to get him by until the band tech can fix it next week.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Take it down to the hardware store and GENTLY try screws till you find one that fits. Being a new Yamaha it's surely a metric thread. My guess would be an M4 or M5, but watch out as it might just be fine pitch and few general hardware stores will carry fine pitch metric fasteners. You might have to put a couple washers and/or cut off the end of the screw; you don't want it bottoming in the shallow hole.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
Emphasis on "GENTLY" try screws. I'd also avoid steel screws as they'll eat right through those brass threads.

You're best off taking it to a local music store that works on woodwinds. They'll have this part readily available, and you won't have to worry about wearing out threads by choosing a similar, but wrong sized screw.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I have some stock screws for YAS-32. They are probably the same thread. The thread is M4x0.7mm, i.e. standard 4mm metric thread.
As long as you have the correct thread there will be no problem of it being steel.
But if it is too long, and you tighten it hard, you will damage to the mounting of the female-threaded part.
(These ones are 8.4mm long, excluding the pan head.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
I have some stock screws for YAS-32. They are probably the same thread. The thread is M4x0.7mm, i.e. standard 4mm metric thread.
As long as you have the correct thread there will be no problem of it being steel.
But if it is too long, and you tighten it hard, you will damage to the mounting of the female-threaded part.
(These ones are 8.4mm long, excluding the pan head.)
Don't underestimate those Yamahas. They like changing things outside of the bore, and tonehole placement. In fact, they like tweaking things just as much as Selmer does in that respect.

You're completely correct in that the proper sized screw will not damage anything, regardless of material. I just see this as one of those cases in which a DIY'er thinks that this is a very simple job, and ends up with very damaged brass. This is coming from a DIY'er who knows his limitations, and totally respects the real mechanical engineers who know their craft. Heck, I sell furniture as a winter job, and know how things go awry with things that are assembled with far more forgiving tolerances. Don't underestimate the damage that can be done with good intentions and a screwdriver. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts