Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came across this video, I found it very interesting.

throughout the video the person plays the tenor, alto, and soprano mark VI's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
Al McClean

Canadian saxophonist.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice indeed!

If we give him a chaiwanese horn I bet he would sound just like him ... on a chaiwanese horn ;)

Did you see that thread Plans for an American Made Saxophone? And did you see those threads about Mark VI made from shell casings too, right?

Does it rings a bell -no pun intended!- on you? I mean, with all these wars America has been launching in the last years... how come nobody came out with the next best horn ever?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,628 Posts
it just shows that a great player is great at playing but not necessarily has an understanding of what he's playing (in terms of the how's and why's of his instrument).

If shell materials was of any importance , after WW I there was plenty to go and that was, probably more, that what there was after WW II. By this logic, one of the best brass production of saxophone brass in the world should be, as I said several times, in Viet-nam where they had a very large amount of shells indeed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
But Milandro, Selmer used brass that orginally came from, or at least a fraction of it originally came from church bells. I'm sure Viet-nam saxophone companies didn't think to melt a church bell and then blow it up, thus the reason they don't have the next Mark VI............

·
41,628 Posts
:) Buddhist temples (and the French Churches) in Viet-Nam had plenty of bells which were all melted down to make shells which were later on melted down to make things as saxophone and bathroom fittings....... lots of dramatic sound there! (perhaps some of the dramatic sound came from bathroom fittings too!)[rolleyes]

·
Registered
545 Posts
and all this time i thought that when i heard the term "bell-quality brass", i thought they were referring to the bell of the horn...honestly...although, i did hear this story from a friend of mine as well a few months back. this video just makes it so much more musically spiritual as opposed to getting blitzed at the bar and talking story and non-sense.

·
41,628 Posts
Oh yes, if you tell an urban legend in a "proper" way (low, slow paced, voice..............atmospheric music ) you sound all that more convincing although the myth has no substance or science (how can shell brass be any different from brass with the same composition not used to make shells or bells? ), Some of the best American saxophones were made before WWII in a country where there were no large quantities of spent shells or bells laying about to be melted to make some of the best saxophones in the world.

·
3,494 Posts
(how can shell brass be any different from brass with the same composition not used to make shells or bells? ), .
It's all in the realignment of the molecules in the brass when the shell is fired.
That's what my MK VI told me anyway....

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
Yeah, that was one myth. If you're going to make a sax you need to melt the metal down and roll it out into a sheet so any tempering from firing it is going to be lost.

·
41,628 Posts
as far as I know in brass alloy the two or more metals contributing to its composition don't form any new molecules and Copper and Zinc stay Copper and Zinc, together they are forming brass but don't become a brass molecule. Dr G, a Ph.D in metallurgy, has said several times here that for brass there is no molecule re-allinement possibility.

·
3,494 Posts
I should have put a 'tongue in cheek' emoticon in my post.

Now that I know there is no such thing as a brass molecule then
perhaps the shell blast realigns the crystaline structure ?
It seems my sax got it wrong. Now where are my pills ??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts