Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what you do when you retire from your day job and have lots of free time!

I've been using this Behringer for last few years and have done literally hundreds of gigs with it, and gradually made some very nice upgrades.

To start, I replaced the Bugera speaker with a nice EV speaker I had that wasn't being used. I also added a Piezo tweeter. As you can see from the photo, I added an output on the back to add a second speaker, for larger rooms. If you look close, you can see a patch to the right of the speaker output. That cover a switch that turns off the built-in amp, so I can use the speaker output jack as an input, to access the speakers. I carry a small back-up amp in my car, in case the Behringer fails on a gig. I like to be prepared!

OK, as you can see, I added a 12-channel mixer. The Behringer amp has a universal EQ control, so all 4 channels have the same EQ settings. I need 4 inputs for my act, which are for vocals, sax, keyboard, and iPhone (for backing tracks and break music). All 4 channels really need different EQ, so I added the mixer.

I used the "link" input on the amp from the mixer and that worked pretty well. The problem was I was going from one preamp to another. I did some research and found that I can access the built-in power amp directly. So I added two jacks which you can see under the "Ultratone" name on the back panel. Bridging the two gives me the K1800FX in it's original form. Plugged into just the left jack give me direct access to the power amp. The only control that operates on the top panel when doing this is the on-off switch. Everything else is controlled by the 12-channel mixer.

I also added an AC receptacle, which the mixer is plugged into.

The amp is a lot heavier with all the mods, but setting up on a gig is a breeze.

If I had to do this all over, and if I knew I would be doing so many gigs with this amp, I would have gotten an amp with individual EQ control on all 4 channels, if one exists in an amp this small.

BTW, doing any of these mods will kill your warranty!

So, like I said, this is what you do when you have lots of free time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Nice work, you certainly made some good mods. How are you using it? Mini PA, or to amplify your sax in a group with other amplified instruments like guitar, keyboard, etc.?

BTW, a keyboard player friend of mine recently bought one of the current Behringer line, with a 4 channel mixer and effects built in. Not very expensive relative to comparable equipment, sounds good, but weighs a ton. I guess that's the price of increased functionality.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the compliments. I do a solo act, playing keyboard, singing and about one third of the time play sax with backing tracks. I have also used the amp as a PA for the rare occasions I work as a two or three piece act. The little amp does the job, and does sound rather good, considering it's low price. I have a small extension speaker (3 way) that also has an EV 12" woofer in it. Sounds great, considering the compact size.

I wonder if this is the four channel amp your friend has, with effects and volume control for each channel (but universal EQ).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I have the model just below that (K900FX). So far it has suited my gigs well, even the rare outdoor ones! A small mixer will be next, as will a pair of relatively small stand speakers.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Behringer, if you get one that works, gives great bang for the buck. When I bought this amp I got it home, only to find the effects sections wasn't working. The replacement has been working perfectly for about 3 years of heavy use. Go figure!

BTW, I replaced the 4-ohm Bugera speaker with an 8-ohm EV speaker, so adding a second extension 8-ohm speaker brings it down to 4-ohms, which it was designed for. You can go up with the ohm load, but going down might be a problem for the amp. So what I am saying is, if you add a speaker out jack, as I did, and use another 4-ohm speaker, you will be down to 2-ohms, which might not sit well with the amp output, and could possibly cause damage to the power amp section. Adding an 8-ohm speaker will be better, but you will have lower volume on the extension speaker.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have had my 1800 Behringer for about 16 months ...Absolutely HATE it .... wish I spent the extra bucks on a roland KC-550 ..that amp rocks!
There freaking tweeter screams in that Behringer so much I have to run the EQ very heavy on the bass side, angle it up and then, just to get more bass for my Keyboard sounds I use effect #79 .. (the octavizer pitch shift)... When I get a few bucks ahead I want to get a Norg keyboard to enhance my roland synth .. but not until i get an amp that will do it justice
I would take a Roland WITHOUT any effects any day of the week and be able to eq each channel seperately ...
Even my tenor sax sounds like crap when I try to mic through it ... thank god for a great Crown/JBL sound system ...
I could go on and on about how I dislike that Behringer 1800 ...all I have to say is ...you get what you pay for ...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you happen to have access to schematics for the K1800FX?? I have one where the amp section seems to be blown...
PM me with your email address

Allen, if your are ever down my way meet up with me on one of my gigs, and I'll show you what a 1800FX sounds like with the right woofer in it. Over 250 gigs using this amp and it's still going strong. I'm amazed at the coverage this thing has in some of the larger rooms I play.

BTW, I added a second tweeter: Eminence APT-80 Super Tweeter with 80° Conical Horn: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-532
which replaced a Piezo tweeter I had added. It's really not very different from the Behringer, but adding it gives a little better coverage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts