Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying the Behringer B 205 D monitor. It is very small, weights only 3,2 kilogram, and promises SPL of 112db. I want to use it as monitor for my flute. Are there any experiences? The speaker is only 5.5 inch so I expect not much low end of the spectrum. But how is the soundquality in general?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B205D.aspx

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am a happy Behringer owner, owning and using multiple Behringer products over the years. I have never tried this model, but it is worth a shot.

I have heard of bum Behringer units, but usually a replacement was given and then there was no problem. I have used their powered monitor wedges and with excessive use, one unit had a blown tweeter (but that was in a turn it up louder!!! bar-room sound situation.)

I think it would be perfect for use as a flute monitor.

Keep your receipt and fill out your warranty info and you should be set.

Also, American Musical Supply gives a 1 year extended warranty with purchase: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B205D-LIST

·
Registered
599 Posts
Same deal for me. I don't own this monitor, but I have several Behringer pieces of equipment, and sound is generally very good. Quality control isn't that great, but you are paying a lot less, so that's a trade-off. I wouldn't worry about the low end response if using it as a monitor. I would worry about the high frequencies though. If it doesn't have a built-in tweeter you may think about adding one. I added a tweeter to my powered Galaxy monitor and it made a world of difference. An inexpensive Piezo type does the job nicely.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It has good reviews online and the price is unbeatable. You should buy one from one of these "no questions asked return policy" stores.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reponses! I just ordered it. I found very good reviews for it. Nice idea to add a piezo tweeter. If there is a place to attach it. May be it won't be necessary for use with flute, as the overtones are not present above 5000 hrz. I will share my experiences.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have the comparable "Mackie" unit (http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/). I have been very pleased with it. If it had a built in effects unit it would be amazing. Still, it works very well for me as a monitor for sax and also for acoustic guitar. I also don't think you will need to add anything to it. I considered the Behringer as well but stayed away from it given the reputation of some "difficulty in the warranty/customer service" area. I don't personally own any Berringer products but it seems to be a bit of a "hit and miss" situation. I hope your unit turns out well for you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I own and like this. Not much of a low end, as one should expect. Good bang for the buck. 150 watts, of course, is limited in what it can do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used it yesterday for the first time. The good side: It has a lot of volume, surprisingly loud. Finaly I could play flute with a banging drummer behind me, an even play in the lower register. Could be better: the sound quality is nice, but I also own a Roland CM 30, which is far better sounding. The Roland has a tweeter, and also the low end is better. But the Behringer is two kilo's lighter, and seems to have slightly more volume. Another problem is that the Behringer (and also the Roland) cannot be tilted backwards. The Behringer depends on being attached on the mic stand, which is a lot of hassle at this venue with wires that need to be long enough and enough current wire. I just wanted to put it on the floor in a corner. I made my own cardboard 'tiltstand' which works very well indeed. Tilting the Behring requires that it is lifted from the ground a couple of centimeters, because the 220 plug is at the very bottom of the backside, which obstructs the tilting. But my stand worked fine. Conclusion: a lot of bang for the bucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It looks like the price point of the 205D has gone up about $50 since I bought mine, and the (original) Mackie version has come down about $50 (at least that's what's in the Guitar Center flyer I got yesterday), making them about the same price instead of $100 different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the price point of the 205D has gone up about $50 since I bought mine, and the (original) Mackie version has come down about $50 (at least that's what's in the Guitar Center flyer I got yesterday), making them about the same price instead of $100 different.
I bought mine for 135 euro's . That would be round about 160 American dollars I suppose? Here in the Netherlands it was plm 50 euro's reduced, compared to the price about a year ago.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have the same interest as the OP of this old thread and didn't want to start a whole new thread on the subject especially since, as far as I can tell, the landscape hasn't changed much. I figured updating this one would make more sense.

I'm looking for something that I can I use as sound support for flute at jazz combo rehearsals and maybe small venue acoustic gigs and possibly as a powered monitor in other situations. From what I can find the options for something small and very portable are still the Behringer B205 or B207 or Mackie SRM 150.

Closing in on 6 years later - does anyone have other suggestions??

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
And two years later still, I have the same question: Are there any other options out there for a personal monitor that mounts on a mic stand?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have the Roland Cube Monitor CM30. Works fine as a personal monitor for me mounted on the top of a mic stand.
Thanks Ralph. The Cube's about the same price, and no doubt better build quality than the Behringer, but five pounds heavier. It's also only 30W, while the B205D is rated at 150W, though the Roland's probably more efficient.

Do you play it with a very loud rock band, or is it more for quieter jazz performances?

EDIT: The Cube is almost 6 pounds heavier, nearly twice the weight of the Behringer, but has a bigger speaker. Also a headphone jack, which the B205D doesn't have.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The only times I have used it live is with my 5 piece jazz band. Have had no problem setting it up either to my left or right side and have not needed to crank it up full. The weight has not been an issue either since the small size is its great feature.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Cool. I do like Roland--my main monitor is a K-150--but I'm still leaning toward the Behringer B205D, as it's supposedly a bit louder and has built-in phantom power, which could be handy when not using other effects that will power a condenser mic. I do have a portable phantom power unit, but that's yet another box and battery to worry about. The B205D also seems more easily mountable than the Cube, which I gather needs either an extra adapter or an expensive bespoke stand.

I've also discovered the B207mp3, which has both a bigger speaker than the B207D and mp3 on board, but is $50 more. And TC makes the Voicesolo FX-150, which has built-in reverb but no phantom power, and costs like $200 more after tax. For that premium, I can find my own reverb pedal.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I finally broke down and picked up a B205 D. I got a good deal on it during a sale or with a coupon or something, I can't even remember but paid around $150. That's probably a good price for this thing as it's not really a heavy-duty piece of equipment. I've used it a few times for sound reinforcement when playing flute with my jazz combo. I think it works well for that purpose or maybe vocal support for small acoustic combos. I suppose you could use it as a personal monitor but I'm not sure it's really ideal for that especially in a loud heavily amplified setting. I think I'd try to find a solution using in-ears if monitoring in a loud band was my focus.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My half-price TC Voicesolo FX-150 arrived, and it seems pretty loud and clear for such a small box, at least in my practice room; obviously it'll be a different ball of wax on stage. While I don't expect it to replace the house wedge, I do hope it'll add enough additional feedback to keep me playing in tune. It also has phantom power for my clip-on, and reverb if I want it. Plus it snaps onto the mic stand really easily, so will take up no precious floor space on stage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts