Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh, I'm showing my beginner's status once again. I have a few basic questions about ligatures:

1) Is there a set rule about whether the "screws" of the ligature are sitting on reed or on top of mouthpiece? Does it matter? I usually have them on top of mp but have seen them positioned on the reed by other players.

2) I recently bought a Meyer 6M Large chamber mp and it came with a ligature. Do I automatically assume that it is the perfect ligature for this mp?

Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
1) Some ligatures are designed to have the screws go on top others are designed to have the screws sit on the reed underneath.

2) Of course not! Ligatures like any other piece of saxophone gear are a personal choice for whatever suits you and works best.

Hope this helps! :)

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Some ligatures are designed to have the screws go on top others are designed to have the screws sit on the reed underneath.
Thanks Higgins! The ligature I have comfortably sits both ways, is there a way of telling which way it is designed to go?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Higgins! The ligature I have comfortably sits both ways, is there a way of telling which way it is designed to go?
Sometimes it's obvious and other times it is hard to tell. If you could post a picture that might help decide? In reality it doesn't really matter whatever works best for you!

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks heaps! If it doesn't matter then I'm happy to go with that, I have tried both ways and found one way slightly better than the other. Just didn't want to be oblivious if there was a right and wrong way of using it. It is hard being suuuuuch a beginner! So many questions and sometimes too embarrassed to ask :). Appreciate you took the time to reply!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Ya know, you're about to get every possible opinion under the sun, including mine, and all will be right.

The one thing that's completely undeniable, and EE NYC and I were talking about this the other day, is the more subtle the difference is between this gizmo and that, the louder and more vitriolic people get to support their particular choice.

This is one of those things.

So, here's my thoughts on it. Unless there's a plate or something on it that make it clear which way it goes, then usually the screws go on the bottom -- unless you just like the look of them on the top, which will work just fine too. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Tie it on with string if you like, use the latest gee-whiz gizmo made out of Kevlar that replicates that, use what ever you like in what ever way seems to adhere the reed (glue will even work) to the mouthpiece and learn to sound like you're not blowing into a sewer pipe.

All of these and many others will do that for you.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey, don't knock sewer pipes, I get a lot of resonance on mine, I turn the joint fitting attachment to the bottom and get a big booming sound. :)

Well, maybe sewer pipe would be a step up for me?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I don't think it's a huge deal either way. I was taught that the screws should stick out to the right, as they're made for right-handed folks, so the lig is designed with that in mind and however it sits with the screws out to the right is the way it's meant to sit. Of course, some have reversible screws, and strictly speaking, why shouldn't you try flipping it over? If I were you, I'd try it both ways and go with whatever you like best, for whatever reason.

·
8,588 Posts
Hey, don't knock sewer pipes, I get a lot of resonance on mine, I turn the joint fitting attachment to the bottom and get a big booming sound. :)

Well, maybe sewer pipe would be a step up for me?
Who am I to judge. If sewer pipe is what you're after, I say "go for it!" :mrgreen:

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Normally the screws are on the right. That's often the best way to tell if the lig is designed for screws top or bottom.

I find that the best ligature very often is the one that comes with the mouthpiece, it was designed to fit with that mouthpiece so will most like work better than a ligature was designed for something else.

The exceptions are the more versatile ligs such as the fabric Rovners which, as Lon's as the size is correct tnd to work with any mouthpiece.

In answer to the original question (2) then I would say that the Meyer lig will probably be as good as any. As to "perfect" I'm not sure there is a perfect lig, but you might as well use the one that ones with the mouthpiece as there is unlikely to be one that works better as far as functionality is concerned. You might get one that looks better or that lasts longer.

·
8,588 Posts
Normally the screws are on the right. That's often the best way to tell if the lig is designed for screws top or bottom.
Not disagreeing with the "fit" part, but what if you're left handed? Which way does your two-screw go then, hmmm...????? :twisted:

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy Camoly!! Thanks (I think??) :badgrin: I had just finished practicing for tonight when I noticed all these replies! Anywho.....Examined my mouthpiece and ligature as it was set up tonight and the screws were to the right and I actually felt I played and sounded rather well (If I may say so myself...the dog didn't howl along anyway so that must be a good sign)!!!
Having the screws face to the right despite me being a leftie makes me feel somewhat disloyal toward us lefties!! Although...living downunder I wonder if that means that the screws really are facing to the left??
Anyway, just trying to be funny but I really appreciate all your comments. Conclusion: for me, screws to the right it is :mrgreen:

One question answered, a gazillion more to go....watch this space

1 - 13 of 13 Posts