Sax on the Web Forum banner

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2019-2022

28K views 237 replies 50 participants last post by  SaxNutz 
#1 · (Edited)
Time for a new and fresh Beginners & Intermediates (B&I) thread for 2019 onwards (continuing from >the last B&I 2018 page<).

This thread is for all Beginner and Intermediate players who would like to share their progress and recordings. Posting your stuff is great, but commenting and discussing on other members posts (in a respectful way) is also fine. Main goal here is to learn and encourage each other, besides having some fun with our common hobby (playing the saxophone). New members: don't be shy: share what you've got and try to participate :).

We also have a B&I TOTM (Tune Of The Month) here, where a member calls each month a new tune to work on and post our attempts as soundclip or video. At the end of the month the current host appoints a member for hosting next month B&I TOTM (sometimes done by posting an open request in the latest B&I TOTM thread). Working on and posting other tunes is of course also possible in this thread :).

INDEX to historical B&I TOTM selections: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

- Links to older B&I threads:
2018: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2018
2017: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2017
2016: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2016
2015: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2015
2014: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2014
2013: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2013
2012: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here...
2011: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here...
2010: Beginners/Intermediates.... post your recordings here 2010
2009: Beginners/Intermediates.... post your recordings here 2009
2008: Beginners/Intermediates.... post your recordings here 2008
Before 2008: Beginners/Intermediates....Recordings posted before 2008

Hopefully lots of great postings here this year!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2018

Nice song Luc, very contemporary feel. Happy New Year to you too.

#6 ·
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2019

Very nice playing malteof, it swings and fits the style. Nice tone also and the high notes weren't bad, but watch out the intonation in the high register.

Well done. :)

#7 ·

It's been a long time since i posted in SOTW forum!
Well i' m super excited, about my first music video performance!
I ve performed Parker's Mood piece with my colleagues and my piano teacher!

I hope you will dig it somehow!

Billy

#8 ·

It's been a long time since i posted in SOTW forum!
Well i' m super excited, about my first music video performance!
I ve performed Parker's Mood piece with my colleagues and my piano teacher!

I hope you will dig it somehow!

Billy
Billy, nice to hear (and now also see) you playing on the little horn. I can hear your progress coming from the hard work you did. Enjoyed the video, nice performance, but also still things to develop on in phrasing and sound. Listen a lot to the pro players you like and try to play with their recordings.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work. :)

#9 ·

Thanks for the insights Sir! I ll sure keep on practicing!

#10 ·

Here is a take to test my radio micro:

AUDIO TECHNICA ATW11F AT
AUDIO TECHNICA PRO35cW

T Rampone & Cazzani R1 JAzz Aug - JJ Giant 7 - Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao

#11 ·

Sounding good Guido, nice clear sound. Watch out for the intonation in the higher register.

#14 ·

Francisco, that's a challenging tune to pick on alto! I think you did a good job and being able to find your way through this not so easy tune already says a lot about the progress you've made the last years. I enjoyed it a lot. Your timing in the A part of theme needs a little work, but overall a very nice take. :)

++++++

I never played a lot of alto and one of the few and latest times I did record something was about 6 years ago in 'Take Five'. I have an alto Otto Link 9* mouthpiece, which is actually very hard to control if you never play alto!

Here is my take from 2013 and if you have the patience to listen you will understand afterwards why I never play alto!

- 'Take Five' (Klingsor Alt - modern Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12416330

#13 ·

Recorded on my 4th day playing tenor sax:

cheated a bit added some reverb.
(Edit: putting the "rude" in "rudimentary") :D

#15 ·

Recorded on my 4th day playing tenor sax:

cheated a bit added some reverb.
(Edit: putting the "rude" in "rudimentary") :D
Wow bholder, I'm really surprised you can play this way after only being four days on the tenor. I guess you played sax before, maybe a long time ago.

Very nice and keep up the good work. :)

#17 ·

Tenor Sax Day 8 practice riffing based on my "Sloppy Sideways Samba" guitar practice riff:

If I could only remember the chord changes to my own riff! ;)

(teaching myself sax, also concurrently trying to teach myself to "play lead" on any instrument I can play)

#19 ·

Tenor Sax Day 8 practice riffing based on my "Sloppy Sideways Samba" guitar practice riff:

If I could only remember the chord changes to my own riff! ;)

(teaching myself sax, also concurrently trying to teach myself to "play lead" on any instrument I can play)
Silence is deafening - am I violating etiquette or something here? Posting newbie crap too often? ('cause I'll have more soon hehehe)

#20 ·

Bholder, this thread is unfortunately not very active (anymore, years ago we had much more active members). I'm reacting sometimes, but I'm also a very busy person with not always time on hand to listen to all stuff posted.

If you want a little more interaction you might want to join the monthly Beginner/Intermediate TOTM threads, those are a bit more busy.

#21 ·

OK thanks I'll look up those threads. :)

#22 ·
#28 ·
#34 ·

In the wee small hours and Imagination.
Both on my old 32 Selmer Super tenor.
Florida STM 9 USA.
Vandoren Java Green 2.5.
Aebersold backings.

https://app.box.com/s/ueiwi6xxey8di5jnu7anr2s454l1f2l6
https://app.box.com/s/0kca00vfty2mc22uxp76pnafbq1krkl3

Nick.
Very nice playing in both tunes Nick. :)

Liked especially your sound in the low and mid register when played with moderate air stream. The higher register really becomes bright on that Link when pushed.

#36 ·

This is my first post of me playing on SOTW. I'm kinda nervous. I usually dont play in front of people, only at home for my own relaxation and escape from reality, however I want to be a better player and welcome constructive criticism.

I haven't figured out how to add backing tracks and record at the same time, as all my backing tracks are on my phone and I play them through a bluetooth speaker to practice. I also record through my phone. I dont think my phone will allow me to do both things at the same time, If it does I haven't figured out how. ???

This recording was actually a few years ago on my Buescher Big B alto, with Mouthpiece Cafe Espresso 7 mouthpiece, dont remember my reed choice at the time. Probably an Alexander Superial 2 1/2

Ive been playing sax intermittently for a long time (30+ years), I just couldn't let my sax go after college, felt like I would be saying goodbye to a good friend, so I would get my horn out on occasion and play. I had a fairly long hiatus from playing when I had to sell my saxes to finance the adoption of my 2 daughters. When I finally had the financial ability to get another sax, I decided to go vintage. I love old things and playing on my 1949 Big B alto feels nostalgic. I recently added a matching tenor (1947 Big B) that is currently at saxquest getting a setup.

anyway thats my story in a nutshell....... thanks for listening.

#37 ·

This is my first post of me playing on SOTW. I'm kinda nervous. I usually dont play in front of people, only at home for my own relaxation and escape from reality, however I want to be a better player and welcome constructive criticism.

I haven't figured out how to add backing tracks and record at the same time, as all my backing tracks are on my phone and I play them through a bluetooth speaker to practice. I also record through my phone. I dont think my phone will allow me to do both things at the same time, If it does I haven't figured out how. ???

This recording was actually a few years ago on my Buescher Big B alto, with Mouthpiece Cafe Espresso 7 mouthpiece, dont remember my reed choice at the time. Probably an Alexander Superial 2 1/2

Ive been playing sax intermittently for a long time (30+ years), I just couldn't let my sax go after college, felt like I would be saying goodbye to a good friend, so I would get my horn out on occasion and play. I had a fairly long hiatus from playing when I had to sell my saxes to finance the adoption of my 2 daughters. When I finally had the financial ability to get another sax, I decided to go vintage. I love old things and playing on my 1949 Big B alto feels nostalgic. I recently added a matching tenor (1947 Big B) that is currently at saxquest getting a setup.

anyway thats my story in a nutshell....... thanks for listening.
Thanks for sharing your background and take Aaron, I enjoyed listening to it. :)

Nothing to be nervous about, your tone and timing are good. Would be nice to hear more of, you might want to join one or both of our monthly Tune Of The Month threads:
- B&I TOTM: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...2010-onwards&p=3814110&viewfull=1#post3814110
- Main TOTM: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...2009-onwards&p=3833648&viewfull=1#post3833648

About mixing your recording with backing tracks: I don't know if that works with a phone, but you could easily install free software Audacity on your PC and download your backing and recorded track as MP3 into it, after which you can mix both and export the result as MP3 to share through SoundCloud or another site.

#40 ·

Hello friends...
Here is my version on Soprano sax of the tune : Petite Fleur

I appreciate your opinions and comments...
Thanks

#44 ·

Hello friends...
Here is my version on Soprano sax of the tune : Petite Fleur

I appreciate your opinions and comments...
Thanks
I've just picked up soprano on top of my bari and alto and this interests me. Can you share a bit on you mic placement (in front or at the side). I don't have any experience of your gear, so it is a bit difficult to make translations. Well played, but it sounds like you play it straight from the notes?

#45 ·

OK, so I'm admittedly a technically challenged individual. All I possess is a Tascam hand held digital recorder. Does anyone else record this way? Is the quality good enough? I see most everyone uses Soundcloud. Is that as easy as opening an account, uploading a file to it and then linking to the file? Or do I need a course in modern technology ....