Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations.The sax is an older Holton Collegiate. My thoughts are suggesting a Runyon 22, Brilhart Ebolin, or Morgan Pro tone 'cause thats what I'd suggest for an alto---but I know nothing about tenors in general or Holtons in particular. Any suggestions?:?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Sure. If you're just starting out I would recommend a versatile mpc like a hard rubber Link #6. or maybe Dave Kessler's or Jody Jazz' hard rubber mpcs. Start with 2.5 reeds and work your way to a #3. If you have a chance, get several of the same model mpc from a dealer and keep the one that plays the best for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
This is a tough question, I think because there are so many possible answers, all of which could work, but might not.
I have a Holton Collegiate alto that I bought recently for nostaligic reasons only. My mother bought me a brand new Holton Collegiate alto for my 9th birthday and I kept it for 10 years until after my 19th birthday all through high school and a couple of years after joining the Navy. It's a good solid horn and the one I just bought plays very nicely for a model that gets a lot of criticism from those, usually, who have never played one. I suspect the tenor is no different if in good repair and set up properly.

That said, mouthpieces to recommend for the Holton, which would be the same for many other tenors in the hands of a beginner, no matter how old, would include those you mentioned, but also the good old standby Meyer 5M HR piece. That's what my private teacher recommended for alto. The Morgan ProTone is another good entry level piece as would be a Rousseau JDX6 HR, for example. Another variable is what style music the player is striving to learn and play, e.g., jazz, swing, classic, rock, blues, country(?), etc.

As your recommendations seem to acknowledge, I'd stay away from metal pieces for a beginner as they could present embouchure issues that might impede a solid beginning on the learning curve.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'll recommend that he tries out a meyer as well (I think a new meyer costs almost as much as the Holton!) Certainly a good mpc should make learning easier

1 - 4 of 4 Posts