Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although not new to playing, I'm new to soprano, and the mouthpiece I got with my used Kessler isn't working too well for me. I'm still just starting, and don't have the budget to go nuts here, but looking for suggestions.

I can land an new Yamaha 4C for around $35 shipped. Also have a line on a used Bari 62 for similar money. My tech suggests a Selmer D* Any preferences? Most of my playing will be to double, mostly for theater pit and occasional Big Band.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Runyon (any model/material) #6 or #7. Low price, versatile, and fairly easy to control. If you want more color palette, and have considerably more money to spend, Rovner Deep V (mines a #6). For the beginner it'll take more to control, but once there, it's easier to get problem notes to stay in tune (hence the larger color palette). This piece will bend notes very far in both directions!

My recomendation for the Runyon though, is that it'll bend when needed, but much easier to center for the beginner, and, like Th Rovner, works in all elements w/a small price tag. The Bari 62 is also a very good piece. Between the Bari 62, Yamaha 4C, and Selmer D*, I'd pick the Bari. Again, a versatile piece, warm sound, and cost effective.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've always love the Selmer Soloists. They're, to me, the perfect balance of control and flexibility. I'd say the D* is about the right size. I'd personally go with an E or F, but I like a more open mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the recommendations.

I think I'm going to try the Runyon due to my perception of flexibility with the spoiler.

Guess we'll see, it's certainly not too expensive (although yes, the Yamaha 4C is definitely even less.) The theater program (and show choir) I play in seems to vary alot in what is needed, so flexibility is pretty important.

TIA,

Larry

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here is a funny story. I have a student, a teenage girl who plays alto and soprano. She loves the sop and does most of her practicing on it. She was playing on a Yamaha 4C and recently changed to a Kessler soprano mouthpiece which she likes quite a bit. Meanwhile, I have been searching for a mouthpiece on soprano to replace my Ponzol, which I like but have never been that satisfied with. I've tried many mouthpieces, all the way up to a Jody Jazz DV at $450.00. My return postage bill has been getting high. Anyway, since she no longer plays her 4C, I asked her if I could try it. Played it and loved it. I bought it from her for $15.00. You never know where you will find something. But it is a very nice mouthpiece for the price.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a funny story. I have a student, a teenage girl who plays alto and soprano. She loves the sop and does most of her practicing on it. She was playing on a Yamaha 4C and recently changed to a Kessler soprano mouthpiece which she likes quite a bit. Meanwhile, I have been searching for a mouthpiece on soprano to replace my Ponzol, which I like but have never been that satisfied with. I've tried many mouthpieces, all the way up to a Jody Jazz DV at $450.00. My return postage bill has been getting high. Anyway, since she no longer plays her 4C, I asked her if I could try it. Played it and loved it. I bought it from her for $15.00. You never know where you will find something. But it is a very nice mouthpiece for the price.
I my well find this out myself. Ordered the Runyon, hope I like it. If not, there are vendors that carry the Yamaha 4C for $35 new shipped. May well end up there, since it seems that on FleaBay they end up going for that price anyway.

·
6,831 Posts
I played on my Runyon for 8 years before discovering my Soprano sound (that darned sound in your head, you want to release ;) ) with the Rovner Deep V. The Runyon served me well :) . I gave the Runyon to a friend that plays Clarinet, but doubles on sax.

·
6,831 Posts
The Runyon and the Yamaha both have distinct sounds. You'll be glad you have both :) .

·
3,596 Posts
I've heard great things about the BARI soprano mouthpieces. I have one for alto and like it a lot.
My BARI is the most incredible soprano piece ever. I haven't tried the rubber ones but the Gold model is absolutely wonderful. It's a HUGE, medium bright, warm, edgy sound. It is just so powerful. It has some resistance but it's brilliant. :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts