Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to play alto for couple years n gotten a 1945 conn 10m tenor, i seem to have a problem matching reeds with mouthpieces. Currently i have 3 mouthpieces, the woodwind co ny steel ebonite B6 which plays easy without effort with reeds 2 to 2.5 soft and hard.

2nd mouthpiece otto link super tone master usa metal 7 star, none of the reeds 2, 2.5, 3 soft and hard reeds will not play. Its Hard to blow, and takes to much air.

3rd mouthpiece berg larsen 105/3M metal. My reeds are a little to narrow, i am able to blow with 2 and 2.5 reeds tho they are to narrow but takes little effort and not as easy blowin as the woodwind co b6 is. Which reeds should i get to be able to use the berg? The otto link i about give up, i assume maybe 7 star is to big, is why im having problem. Any advise would help alot.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,198 Posts
Never had problems getting any reeds to work on my Berg on the 10m.

Maybe the .105 is too big for you?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
That's WAY too large a tip to be starting tenor on. Do yourself a favor and buy a Hite Premier, for $25, or so. It will have a more manageable opening, and get a 2.0 Fibracell reed. You'll have a decent beginner's mpc and a reed that you know is functional. Start with that, and play it for about three years, before you think about using anything else. Oh......and have your horn checked for leaks, before you open the mpc box!

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
i recommend that you sit down with a teacher and focus on the correct embouchure for a tenor sax. The proper tenor embouchure will differ from an alto embouchure. You can also have your instructor check your horn and mouthpieces as well. Good luck, but what you are describing does not sound like a reed-to-mouthpiece matching problem.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree about getting a good teacher. As far as adjusting the embouchure from alto to tenor it's really not that big a difference. I primarily play alto and when I do pick up my tenor I only need to warm up for about a half hour to get to where I want to be. I would also suggest trying some hard rubber mouthpieces. You also need to consider the chamber and the baffle of a mouthpiece, not just the tip opening. Personally I've never been able to play small chamber mouthpieces, I'm a medium to large chamber guy and with a rollover baffle to achieve a darker sound. If you check out the resources section on Theo Wanne's website it will explain a lot on the attributes of mouthpieces. https://theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-glossary/

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
In case your embouchure is actually ok, an ill-fitting ligature or reeds that aren't perfectly flat can also make a mouthpiece very difficult to play. So maybe try a few different ligs and make sure they're holding the reed very tight to the table and that the reeds are flat.

I'm quite surprised at your Berg issue. I've had many, many Bergs, and the reeds are always wider than those mouthpieces. Just to rule out the obvious, are you trying to use alto reeds on your tenor mouthpieces? That's not going to work very well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The tip opening of Otto Link 7* is equivalent to the Berg 105. However, I remember when I started player, it is easier to play on a Link than Berg.

If the tip is too big or the reed is too hard, you likely will have problem in the low notes, but the middle notes such as B to F should still be ok.

The best way is to try it out. Firstly, I will try different reeds from different brand of strength 2. Find a store that sell reeds by pieces. E.g. Vandoren Java filed 2, Rico Jazz select 2S ... etc.

Secondly, make sure there is no leak.

If these doesn’t work, then try a mouthpiece with smaller tip opening at a store to see if it is really a problem of tip opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres a pic of a DAddario 2 tenor jazz reed, on the berg larsen n my other reeds are doi g the same being narrow, as you can see theres a little space on each side and yes im using all tenor reeds not alto.
I see a bunch of options from the comments and ill be trying them out.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thanks for the pic and confirming the type of reed. I've never seen a Berg that wide before. But it doesn't look wide enough to hurt anything. You may have one of those infamous "inconsistent" Bergs that was very poorly made. It even appears to get wider on the right side where the cut starts then gets narrower. Not a good thing at all.

Just to make sure you're putting the reed on correctly, the tip of the reed should not go past the tip of the mouthpiece as it appears in your pic. That will also make it harder to play. What works best for me is placing the tip so I can see a tiny sliver of the tip of the mouthpiece, so not quite to the end.

I apologize if this is all basic stuff you already know, but I've seen a few self-taught players do some unorthodox things just because they've never been told otherwise.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That’s weird! Although I never play a D’Addario reeds, but I’ve never seen a situation like this. Try a Vandoren reed. If it is the same, then it is the problem of the mouthpiece.

Also, as pointed out, the reed is too far out. I am taught that when you press down the tip of the reed, it should just touch and align with the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the reed back a little, where it aligns better at the tip but still narrow on sides all the way down. I Tried regular rico. Rico jazz, vandoren reeds also and all are the same way. I never seen such. I know im a beginner and had about 5 mouthpieces in my life span , i was thinking, are all tenor reeds the same width?
I notice when i tighten sides of mouth more, i can play that berg and sounds great, just concerned, how the reeds are narrow

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I used to play alto for couple years n gotten a 1945 conn 10m tenor, i seem to have a problem matching reeds with mouthpieces. Currently i have 3 mouthpieces, the woodwind co ny steel ebonite B6 which plays easy without effort with reeds 2 to 2.5 soft and hard.

2nd mouthpiece otto link super tone master usa metal 7 star, none of the reeds 2, 2.5, 3 soft and hard reeds will not play. Its Hard to blow, and takes to much air.

3rd mouthpiece berg larsen 105/3M metal. My reeds are a little to narrow, i am able to blow with 2 and 2.5 reeds tho they are to narrow but takes little effort and not as easy blowin as the woodwind co b6 is. Which reeds should i get to be able to use the berg? The otto link i about give up, i assume maybe 7 star is to big, is why im having problem. Any advise would help alot.
Make sure that the reed is attached correctly. See the article by Santy Runyon:

Getting back to putting the reed on the mouthpiece in the right way--I had mentioned that the larger the facing the farther over the tip of the mouthpiece the reed should be placed to compensate for the shortening of the reed that occurs as the reed follows the curve of the mouthpiece facing. If the reed (when you press it down) covers the entire tip rail, you will observe that the tone becomes clearer and more solid--even a little darker. In turning the mouthpiece around (looking at the top of the mouthpiece), and pressing the reed down with the finger, you should see a miniscule hairline of the reed sticking out. It also tells you if the tip of the mouthpiece has been shaped to fit the contour of the reed properly. However, the tips of the reeds are not all the same, so it really doesn’t matter as long as the reed covers the entire tip rail. If it only covers a tiny amount of the tip rail--result--squeaks, no doubt.

Sincerely,
Santy Runyon
https://www.saxontheweb.net/Learning/SantyReeds2.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
That's WAY too large a tip to be starting tenor on. Do yourself a favor and buy a Hite Premier, for $25, or so. It will have a more manageable opening, and get a 2.0 Fibracell reed. You'll have a decent beginner's mpc and a reed that you know is functional. Start with that, and play it for about three years, before you think about using anything else. Oh......and have your horn checked for leaks, before you open the mpc box!
The OP says he has a woodwind co B6, which works well and has a small tip. He does not need the hite, even tho that would be a nice piece for anyone to try.

"Currently i have 3 mouthpieces, the woodwind co ny steel ebonite B6 which plays easy without effort with reeds 2 to 2.5 soft and hard."

He wants to learn to play his larger tipped mpcs as well as the more narrow tip Steel Ebonite WW co. one.

By the way, I agree with you that it might well be best for development to stick with the more narrow tip for a year or so before experimenting.

Since he is a new tenor player and has already found a mpc that "plays easy without effort" I would say his troubles were over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it maybe the reeds and how i was aligning the tip. i tried the suction test n the rico select jazz 2soft which it failed, it had pop but leaks really bad on the sides. I switched over to d'addario filed 2h and no leaks, great loud pop, also adjusted the tip for better alignment. The sound is definetly clear now. Thank you all for the great help. Id learned alot just from the comments.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think it maybe the reeds and how i was aligning the tip. i tried the suction test n the rico select jazz 2soft which it failed, it had pop but leaks really bad on the sides. I switched over to d'addario filed 2h and no leaks, great loud pop, also adjusted the tip for better alignment. The sound is definetly clear now. Thank you all for the great help. Id learned alot just from the comments.
Hold on!! There is something players overlook very often. What's the condition of the neck cork? It could be the fact that you are not used as to a tenor as others have said, but you are describing one of the effects of having a leak right there. Reed pickiness, dull sound, unnecessary resistance with average size reeds....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts