Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive decided to buy a tenor sax. i saw on a website though that it is wise to upgrade the mouthpiece to mabye a yamaha as it will improve playability. can anyone give any pointers as to what mouthpice to upgrade to with a beginner/entry level sax. thanx.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Your safest bet would be a
1) Selmer S80 C*/**
2) Runyon Customs

From what I have read many sax players stay away from the Yamaha begginer pieces.

·
Registered
928 Posts
What once was considered as an appropriate beginners mouthpiece was a close tip and using a soft reed, such as 1 1/2. This is intended on giving a new student the best, and fastest, start possible. After all, there is nothing better than experiencing improvement in the shortest amount of time. :D Give yourself a chance and before you know it... When you improve you can then consider a larger tip opening mpc and a harder reed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yamaha beginner pieces are actually regarded as one of the best 'beginner' mouthpieces out there.

However, it'd still be in your best interest :D to buy a Selmer S80 C*/**. It's a very high quality universal mouthpiece that can be used for any style of playing.

Btw, 1 1/2 reeds? I'd say either #2 orange box rico reeds, or 1.5 vandoren blue box reeds. Go with the ricos though - they have more reeds that are playable out of the box.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
sod9728 said:
. . . Btw, 1 1/2 reeds? I'd say either #2 orange box rico reeds, or 1.5 vandoren blue box reeds. Go with the ricos though - they have more reeds that are playable out of the box.
I also get more consistent and playable reeds out of the box with Rico (Jazz Select) versus Vandoren (Traditional). Not everyone agrees, and Vandoren does make excellent reeds. OTOH, even though I think the added consistency of Rico's should make things easier when you are starting out, don't fall into the trap of blaming your reeds. Most of our problems are of our own making.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I play Vandoren reeds myself, but I've noticed that Rico Jazz Select and normal Rico reeds are much more consistent. Out of a box of Vandorens, I only find 2-3 "killer" reeds, while having to adjust the rest of them.

From the box of RJS reeds though, every single one of them have been good in terms of playability - providing pretty much the same result over and over again.

..which is good because I like them :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts