Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm just starting to learn on a tenor and I'm struggling with the low notes. I can play down to an Eb/D# but can't get a D or anything lower. The D sounds like it wants to come out properly for the briefest moment then as it starts to sound properly it comes out in the higher octave. I'm careful with my embouchure and have concentrated on opening my throat and trying for more of a fogging up a mirror than a blowing out a candle breath. I'm not sure what I'm not doing!

I haven't had my sax checked by a professional yet but I've had a good look with a light and can't see any leaks. Also because I can play the Eb/D# I'm assuming there isn't a leak at that point which would prevent me playing a D so I think this is more down to technique than anything else.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,914 Posts
There could be a leak anywhere, or there could be an issue with your mouthpiece or reed too hard. Or your embouchure. Loads of possibilities.

I don’t get the thing about blowing out candles or digging up mirrors, both involve blowing in a way that
is useful for playing the saxophone 🎷

Seems like a teacher would be very useful at this stage as could a good technician to make sure the instrument is in good playing condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts