Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I recently decided I wanted to learn how to play sax. I'd like to have a opinion on a tenor Jupiter 587gl. I tried to search on the forum but haven't found any thread about this model, which surprised me because a guy in a big music store told me it was a solid model very recommended for students. I found a used one, bought in 2010 that only been used couple of time, for 700$. Price for a new one is about 1250$ CAN (with taxes) around here.

I'd like to know if this sax is recommended for a beginner and if the price is good. Would you recommend anything else?

Thank you,

Max

·
Registered
339 Posts
YAMAHA YAS-23

Search the forum and you find the right answer. Good luck and remember: you need a good horn, but you really need a good teacher.

K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,453 Posts
$700 can get you a nice basic, quality, used tenor.

Jupiter, Yamaha, Antigua, Kessler, etc, are all good instruments. Most important is the state of regulation of the instrument. Look to purchase a sax with the help of an instructor. Local band instrument repairmen can be a good sources of good condition used instruments. Cosmetic issues are okay, but the pads must seal all the way down and the horn must be mechanically sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally bought this yamaha yas-23 alto for 518$ including shipping. I checked lot of listings and this one looked in pretty good condition and the price seemed fair. I know I could have bought one one for a little less, but not all the sellers ship to canada.

What do you think? does it look like a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330583012910#ht_721wt_1139

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks fine, but check it with your teacher for some adjust issues. Maybe some adjust is needed before you start playing.

Good luck and congratulations!

K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts