Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I host both the regular TOTM and the B&I TOTM.

Should be no problem considering how little participants there are nowadays... or will I be proven wrong? :bluewink:

The tune for september will be Horace Silver's The Preacher

This was the first tune I played on a jamsession after a twelve year break from playing (yes, I even sold my sax back then), so special memories here too.

What I like about the chord progression is that you can try your best to follow the changes, or just play over the root scale, it's both much fun.

Get your files here:

https://app.box.com/s/9w9vy21dmzmad2re313goqdx0jz4cwu4

or here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wxffagitq5f4jam/AACo1WelVzxctYkWVgmoVSyaa?dl=0

Have Fun!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just added a backing track from which I cut out some solo choruses. The original version seemed a bit long, so now it's a bit more solo friendly.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,270 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A lot of Horace Silver Tunes here in TOTM - I dig them all! I'm really involved in classical practice these days, but I hope for funs sake that I can record a littly jazz tune in between...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great and classic tune, good call!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a go at this one this afternoon. The improv kind of goes nowhere, but it was a bit of fun to use both sop and tenor. Be kind!

https://soundcloud.com/user-136601588/the-preacher
Hey, thanks for joining!
Nice take. Nice that you played the second voice as well.

Your timing in the solo's is pretty good. Try to create more 'cornerpoints' in your improv, and less straight scales. I hope you know what I mean by cornerpoints, haha :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Nice that you played the second voice as well.
Yeah - I was disappointed during the first chorus ... then the harmony kicked in !! :bluewink:
Excellent !! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Fantastic rhythmic variations Spencer !
I'll try playing along with your take ... maybe some of it will rub off ! :mrgreen: :bluewink:

The pedal effect was cool too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks Brendan! I'm mostly not a jazz player (and play music typically without too much in the way of chord changes), so rhythmic stuff is something I try to be conscious of! And it's funny, I didn't start out going for a Rollins vibe, but noticed part way into the solo it was going that way, and tried to lean into it!

At work now without headphones, I'll drop back by to listen to your take later on.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
At work now without headphones, I'll drop back by to listen to your take later on.
Ha ! Maybe wait until the end of the month .. this one above is laaaaame !! :bluewink: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well I really went off the rails with this one.
Oh yeah !! Around 1:33 ... and that ending !! :cheers:
Like your melody treatment as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts