Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for September 2018 – Speak Low

Firstly, thanks to Mrblackbat for hosting the August B&I TOTM, as well as to mrpeebee for his ongoing commitment to managing the TOTM forums.

For the September 2018 B&I TOTM I have chosen the song “Speak Low” (music by Kurt Weill with lyrics by Ogden Nash) from the 1943 broadway musical “One Touch of Venus”. This tune has been adopted into the jazz repertory by numerous artists and as been recorded in a variety of jazz styles and tempos.

“Speak Low” charts for C, Bb and Eb instruments as well as a variety of backing tracks can be downloaded via this link:

https://app.box.com/s/o86gjizxzz7o1uvkw1l094ulm8dadyll

Notable recordings that are worth a listen:

Coleman Hawkins All Stars (New York, February 28, 1961)

The Art Of Coltrane (Sonny’s Crib 1957)

Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker (1953)

Shelly Manne (1962 TV broadcast with Richie Kamuca on tenor sax))

Phil Woods & The Japanese Rhythm Machine (1975)

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Don't really have this one down yet (so what else is new .. :bluewink: ), especially the bridge.
Solo was going nowhere, so I faded it out quickly (mercifully).

Will post one of the faster ones later in the month. :whistle:

Speak loudly on the phone so everyone can hear ...

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not familiar with this tune, found this female vocal backing on my disc concert C. Wanted to try out a new mic [ISK DM55] a Shure copy. Cheap Chinese horn D'Addario Jazz Select Special Edition Marble D6M, 2H JS reed. Single take impro not so hot gave up on bridge. A little reverb added in Reaper software.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Francisco,
Thanks for being the first person to post. At this slow tempo, it might better not to hold the sustained notes as long and to add a little embelishment to the melody. Also, although the chords are relatively easy – it's not the easiest progression to solo over. Thanks again for your effort.

Brenden,
Thanks for taking a shot – you sound nice and relaxed on the melody. I look forward to hearing another take if you have time this month.

Guido,
I like your Bari with the chosen Backing Track (with the stops and shots). Your solo moves nicely.

Alimont,
Thanks for posting. You sound comfortable with the melody over the gently swinging backing track. Maybe you could give the solo another try, if your schedule permits.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Seems like a slow month -- which is a shame cuz Kurt Weill was a great tunesmith. I have a little listening to do.

This is a generated track @ 184bpm with a latin feel from iRealPro and done on soprano. I've decided on the BI I'm going to be doing my weaker horns, soprano and alto. For the main TotM when I do participate it'll be on tenor. The only signal processing I've done is to adjust the relative levels of soprano and the backing track and just a little reverb on soprano. WIthout it the recording seems incredibly dry.

Thanks for those that dare to listen. I've got some to do myself.

Soundcloud Soprano sound.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems like a slow month -- which is a shame cuz Kurt Weill was a great tunesmith. I have a little listening to do.

This is a generated track @ 184bpm with a latin feel from iRealPro and done on soprano. I've decided on the BI I'm going to be doing my weaker horns, soprano and alto. For the main TotM when I do participate it'll be on tenor. The only signal processing I've done is to adjust the relative levels of soprano and the backing track and just a little reverb on soprano. WIthout it the recording seems incredibly dry.

Thanks for those that dare to listen. I've got some to do myself.

Thanks for submitting your soprano take - sound nice and melodic, which works well for this tune..

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
'43 ?? .. that's even older than Peebee !!! :cool:
Watch out Brendan, I will be visiting Canada next month and know where to find you! :bluewink:

Seems like a slow month -- which is a shame cuz Kurt Weill was a great tunesmith. I have a little listening to do.[/url]
I did record some quick takes two weeks ago, but didn't have time yet to check, mix and post the best (= least worse!) one.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Francisco,
Thanks for being the first person to post. At this slow tempo, it might better not to hold the sustained notes as long and to add a little embelishment to the melody. Also, although the chords are relatively easy – it's not the easiest progression to solo over. Thanks again for your effort.

Brenden,
Thanks for taking a shot – you sound nice and relaxed on the melody. I look forward to hearing another take if you have time this month.

Guido,
I like your Bari with the chosen Backing Track (with the stops and shots). Your solo moves nicely.

Alimont,
Thanks for posting. You sound comfortable with the melody over the gently swinging backing track. Maybe you could give the solo another try, if your schedule permits.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Brendan,

You did a nice job on baritone. I especially liked you throwing in a little bit of double time near the end. Thanks for reminding me that there’s more to this art form than speed. I’ve been focusing a lot on up tempo which has helped overall, but not on playing well at slower speeds.

Francisco... it sounds like you’re struggling on this alto take. Can’t tell if it’s reed, mouthpiece, embochure, air supply or horn. Unfortunately it’s impacting your intonation as well. This is most obvious on the interval c# - f#. Your ideas are starting to develop and overall you’re making good note choices. Try to keep the 8th notes when you’re improvising to get the flow of time working for you.

Guidocreo:

You guys with your baritone takes are bad for my budget. You’re making me want to get a big horn.

Intonation is solid except except for the top of the instrument which is normal for the instrument. I really liked the rhythmic feel of your improvising. Lots of rolling 8th notes and your phrases would build so that each section ended a little higher. Overall very nice.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Saxy:

I rather enjoyed your take. I was just enjoying the fairly relaxed, right in the pocket groove you established when you were on the out chorus. On the main melody, I felt you used a bit too much ornamentation. Not liberty with the melody, but grace notes and such. Improv was very good.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Watch out Brendan, I will be visiting Canada next month and know where to find you! :bluewink:
PM me when you get here - I need to buy a few things and could use someone who qualifies for a seniors discount ... :bluewink: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This is a generated track @ 184bpm with a latin feel from iRealPro and done on soprano.
I like how you can maintain the longer passages at the higher tempo. I can't really get through more than a few bars before my brain turns to mush. :evil:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts