1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the album "Go" (1962) :

Here's the link for the notes and backing tracks :

https://app.box.com/shared/15aqzbuz4a

It would be nice to have a backing with the bass line intro and the piano response, but we shouldn't complain .. :evil: :mrgreen:
(There are also a couple of other tempos of the same backing available on youtube.)

Here's a transcription for tenor :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBPwrJNMwzM

Enjoy the month ! :bluewink:

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
I thought for sure you'd dig up a previously recorded Peebee take ... from back in the 70's ... :mrgreen:
Still some unexplored stuff here!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I thought for sure you'd dig up a previously recorded Peebee take ... from back in the 70's
Dunno about Pete but I have posted a version of Cheesecake a couple of times here over the years but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - this was a lot harder to solo over than I expected. Trying for the Dexter vibe (ha ! what a joke .. :evil: ) and ended up sounding awkward and directionless.

Fishcake

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK - this was a lot harder to solo over than I expected. Trying for the Dexter vibe (ha ! what a joke .. :evil: ) and ended up sounding awkward and directionless.

Fishcake

Not bad!, I've never heard this tune on bari before, I was really diggin' it. Timing and intonation was pretty good throughout. BTW.....who can really do the Dexter vibe. You had your own vibe that was very good, I'd say. I would have probably passed out about half way through the tune trying to play this on bari. 😆 Nice work, especially for only having the material for a few days!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
My first reaction when I saw the song picked was "I'm not sure this is something for beginners and intermediates", but what do I know?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work, especially for only having the material for a few days!
Thanks Aaron - I've played the head before, but never looked at the structure for soloing.

My first reaction when I saw the song picked was "I'm not sure this is something for beginners and intermediates", but what do I know?
Really ? That's actually something I thought about ! :bluewink: I thought the theme would be do-able for most.
Sure keeping up with Dex is intimidating ... but a beginner could skip the improv.

Beginners post away ... there's no shame in this thread !!! :cheers:

Check out the voice version :

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That was cool. I think I'll give it a try. I've never been able to memorize songs. Always had to read. If I could sing it as fluently as the gal in the video I could play it. It wouldn't sound like Dexter but it would be better than what I've been doing. Maybe.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts

·
7,906 Posts

Fishcake
Sounding good Brendan.
I've always like Fishcakes especially Thai Fishcakes.
And I know exactly what you mean about it being hard to solo over.

Here's my attempt at Cheese Cake.
It's a little under-baked and doughey in the middle and cracked on the top.
https://app.box.com/s/fmgos8u9vjjerypzl7a0f49dyp3pe7vv

·
7,906 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
One of my favorite tunes I've never learned. Good takes so far guys...the solos aren't as doughy an full of lumps as you think. Dexter sets a higher bar than most. To everyone I'd say to revisit the melody and learn it. Everyone so far has sounded choked up on the head and that's the most important part. Stop aiming at the dots on the paper and let it sing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts