Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Halloween everybody,

I‘m glad to host the B/I-TOTM for November 21 and chose Spooky from Classics IV, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Dusty Springfield …..

I‘ m shure everybody knows this catshy, bluesy, groovy, spooky song.

I was inspired to take this song by this incredible sax cover by our own Rick Detroit:

David Sanborn played it too - in Fm.

(There is a short backing in this key, but the dots are all in Am. I‘m shure you‘ll figure it out for yourself – if not drop me a line and I‘m happy to send you a sheet in this key too.)

Parts in C, Bb and Eb and some backing tracks could be found here:

I‘m looking foreward for many easy groovin‘ tracks

All the best

Dirk

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,961 Posts

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
I've tried this song once in October 2016, but didn't know the genre (probably because I'm a Jazz nerd!).

So I just started the backing I got and blew something from the top of my mind (hence the title Spooky Pee-Bee!). Played a bit rough on my Otto Link Florida no USA 10* and an old Rico Royal 2 reed:

- 'Spooky Pee-Bee':

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Spooky Pee-Bee, here's screaming Dee-Bee ;)

As I said in the "big" TOTM, I noodle around on my latest horn, a (chinese) mercury curvy soprano, which is a lot of fun to play.

I took the Atlanta Rhythm Section -Track - and realized, that it's not in the key I uploaded: It starts in concert E-Minor and goes up a half step when the solo guitar starts to scream (this is karaoke world with just the singer more or less removed. I had to fight the guitar but this is great preparation for friday night rockband rehearsal). You can take the Eb-Sheet and solo with the G Bluesscale, if you are on a Bb horn.
If you want the sheets in the right key for that shoot me a message.

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried this song once in October 2016, but didn't know the genre (probably because I'm a Jazz nerd!).
Ha, good joke that you don't know the genre. Your blues playing is the genre and no one does it better! And you deserved the title "Screaming Peter" with this crazy altissimo, man!

PS: Do you have the backing track and can upload it here? I only found karaoke tracks with solo guitars and saxes and muted singers. Ok, but better to have a proper backing track

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Ha, good joke that you don't know the genre. Your blues playing is the genre and no one does it better! And you deserved the title "Screaming Peter" with this crazy altissimo, man!

PS: Do you have the backing track and can upload it here? I only found karaoke tracks with solo guitars and saxes and muted singers. Ok, but better to have a proper backing track
Thanks Dirk. :)

For me the 'genre' of this tune is more POP then Blues, but in the end it doesn't matter that much!

In the old 'Spooky' thread of 2016 this link was shared with dots and backings:
The backing track I used is listed as 'Spooky_BT_solo_removed.mp3'. You should be able to download it from the link. Please let me know in case it doesn't work.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Here’s my version Dirk.

I have a busy month ahead and I’m not sure I’ll get to Cheesecake on the other thread but I haven’t played alto for a while so I thought it would be good to get a little something down before I get onto other things.

Looking forward to hearing the other takes this month.

I really liked both Dirk’s and Peter’s approach to it. It’s a pretty simple format but to do it justice is another thing entirely and I think you both did that.

Best to everyone as always.

Alex

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@PeeBee: However we call that style - you own it!
Did not realize, that the tune was called five years ago (I was in a hurry when I suggested it) - great for everyone to have acces to better backing tracks. Thank you!
@ Alex: Great Dave Sanborn/Nelson Rangell vibe - but I like your somehow modest approach even better than the Sanborn track!
@ Randulo: This song is perfect for jamming along and that's what you did. Very nice!

· Registered
806 Posts
Funny, it was the October Song of the Month on Cafe Saxophone :)

Here are my two quick and dirty takes:

Ciao.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
Got a soft spot for ARS, though this quick-and-dirty baseline is the DS backing. Don't know why, but rock songs always confound me when I try to play the rhythm of the melody (even when I've sung it in the car for four-and-a-half decades!). So, suck as this does, it's the baseline.

Spooky (baseline)

· Registered
YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,670 Posts
I have the same problem as you Bayview. Been singing along to this for 40 years but still can't play the melody with the correct rhythm - or even all the right notes for that matter!

Bill

https://soundcloud.com/user-826011730%2Fspooky
I really liked your version.
May I ask where you got this backing track?

EDIT: Never mind. I found it, in the files that mrpeebee had provided. (Duh)

· Registered
416 Posts
I really liked your version.
May I ask where you got this backing track?
Thank you for your kind comments! Actually I created the backing track using Band In A Box. I'm a total novice with BIAB, I just typed in the chords from the lead sheet that Dirk provided and choose "Smooth Jazz" as the style. The only tricky bit was working out the stop in bar eleven which took me a while, but I got there eventually. Here is the file if you would like to use it.

Bill

https://soundcloud.com/user-826011730%2Fspooky-backing

· Registered
YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,670 Posts
Well, thanks for that billpf. I thought I had found your source as I said in my edit, and maybe that one too came from BIOB. They certainly seemed similar when I compared them, at least the intro bits. Well, whatever, now I have two to choose from. Thanks again.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
Apologies for delayed listening. After hearing everyone's takes, I really wish I'd just parked it until I had time to shed. :D #liveandlearn

mrpeebee - Nice break on that... that a G? I think we hear this similarly, but your execution is WAY better than mine. What can I say? I'm just not a rocker. :D

Taragot - "spooky sopran" might work as a "stage" name in certain circles! :D Can't believe you're getting that kind of intonation out of a Chinese horn! /hats off/ There's a certain famous soprano player who's gotten very rich saying far less than you do on this take. You nailed this. Fighting guitarists is always a challenge. Worked with a band whose leader was a REALLY strong guitarist. He was good about sharing the space, but we didn't always agree on what songs would work best for a horn (he tended to hear things in that Robert Cray horn style, I don't). Alas, had I been able to execute like you did here, we'd probably still be working together.

Alex - Ah, you went all quiet storm with it. ;) Nice take. You're nailing that pop-sound, sort of like late 70s Sanborn. Very patient, well-executed solo.

Randulo - Interesting that so many chose the higher voices on this and each take is so individual. Dig! Even though you seemed to steer more toward a more jazz approach than the others, this take really works. Again, the patience and execution were both there. I found your take to be very melodic.

guidocreo -
alto - the backing feels disconnected here (I mean the mix), but your approach works well. LOVED the stop at the break (why don't more just do that?) -- catches you by surprise and makes you listen harder.

tenor - Man, with your tenor sound I just wish you'd never put that horn down. BIG You really sound more comfortable in your approach on the tenor. Both takes are well executed, but you seem noticeably more comfortable on the tenor take. 1:40, GREAT line.

billpf - You may have had issues syncing to the melody, but your execution makes it sound like everything you did here was with intent. Liked that you stuck close to that melody line to work into the solo. A nice reminder that the wheel need not be reinvented. Nice, lyrical take. Incidentally, been using BIAB for a bit and happy to lend whatever shabby discoveries I've made. It's actually a pretty powerful software.

· Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Coooool tracks in the past few days!

Don't know why, but rock songs always confound me when I try to play the rhythm of the melody (even when I've sung it in the car for four-and-a-half decades!).
Exactly! Rock and pop isn't easy to play (self-) convincing on a sax, even if you know the song for ages and the dots look simple...
@ Guido - alto or tenor b/w or colored, I love them both. I like your improvised soli very much, better than the melody played from the dots, like speaking freely after reading a declaration.
@Bayview Sax: Very energetic playing, you're really kickin' it! Loved your break at 2:03 (wich is quite the opposite what guido did there ;) )
Thank you for your kind words - my new chinese soprano has a relative stable intonation, it's not as worth as one might think ;) )
@billpf: Very nice and tasty relaxed playing over a very nice backing!

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
mrpeebee - Nice break on that... that a G? I think we hear this similarly, but your execution is WAY better than mine. What can I say? I'm just not a rocker. :D
Thanks Thom. :)

I think the track was in Gm for tenor and I did throw in some high G's (and higher!) notes for sure. No rocker here at all either, just an amateur wannabe Texas Tenor player who is not afraid of raping a for him unknown song!

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Here’s my version Dirk.

I have a busy month ahead and I’m not sure I’ll get to Cheesecake on the other thread but I haven’t played alto for a while so I thought it would be good to get a little something down before I get onto other things.

Looking forward to hearing the other takes this month.

I really liked both Dirk’s and Peter’s approach to it. It’s a pretty simple format but to do it justice is another thing entirely and I think you both did that.

Best to everyone as always.

Alex
Real Big Boy track. Alex, sounds great! It inspired me to not to skip this TOTM... a bit busy, so thought I will not do both this month.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.