Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Jared, Guido, thanks for kind words... I recorded yesterday a bit late and just posted.
When listened today, I was "shocked" by how the sax loudness and crippy edginess of my so called "sound" pops up above the beautiful orchestra track.

I reduced the volume of sax track... and feel some relief :) . It sounds much better than was the original upload.
Don't want to ask to spend your time again, but if you will decide to do it, I guess you'll find it more pleasant than the first one.
it is better, from good to better (y)

Reactions: pobeda

·
Registered
243 Posts
here is my non holy baby... after Guido's gipsy swing version, I did what I did ... kind of ballad.
A beautiful and heartfelt version Michael. The melody sounds gorgeous when played at that tempo and your tone and control were even more gorgeous! Bravo!

Bill

·
Registered
243 Posts
Totally forgot to share! I took a quick stab at this for a mouthpiece test!
Hey Jared,

That is a very solid first effort and I like the sound of the mouthpiece you are using. It has a warm, even tone, and you sound very comfortable playing it. I agree with Guido that I think you could find a backing that would give you a bit more space, perhaps something at a slower tempo which would allow the melody to breathe and let you relax a bit more when playing the head. But that minor quibble aside I enjoyed your take and heard some interesting ideas in your solo that I might have to steal for my recording!

Bill

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
A beautiful and heartfelt version Michael. The melody sounds gorgeous when played at that tempo and your tone and control were even more gorgeous! Bravo!

Bill
Bill, I appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
...from first notes wonderful mellow tone. I find that you create a special character to the tune. Very, very pleasant Bill.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I’m the host and need to start the game.

Here is my very quick and very dirty take on Bari:

Ciao and keep you safe.
Guido, listened again your track. Love the sound. Some real charming moments. The lines not always as charming... but I guess because you just played it without some going to deeper practice.
Sorry for critic :). I remember that after I said something similar you did another track super. Any intention to push you to redo. It is your business :) ...

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Hey Jared,

That is a very solid first effort and I like the sound of the mouthpiece you are using. It has a warm, even tone, and you sound very comfortable playing it. I agree with Guido that I think you could find a backing that would give you a bit more space, perhaps something at a slower tempo which would allow the melody to breathe and let you relax a bit more when playing the head. But that minor quibble aside I enjoyed your take and heard some interesting ideas in your solo that I might have to steal for my recording!

Bill
Jared, I agree with Bill.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Dear TOTM-Fellows,

I'm glad I played some Bari this evening instead of watching the german soccer team - 0:5 against spain...... So time well spent.
I didn't know the tune - thank you for the inspiration, Guido!

All the best

Dirk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dear TOTM-Fellows,

I'm glad I played some Bari this evening instead of watching the german soccer team - 0:5 against spain...... So time well spent.
I didn't know the tune - thank you for the inspiration, Guido!

All the best

Dirk
That is a very cool and swinging interpretation Dirk - well done!

Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have found this to be quite a tricky piece to play and have experimented with different tempos and backings to try and come up with the best version I could. I'm still not happy with it, but I doubt that I will be able to come up with anything better than this before the end of the month - so here it is!

Bill

https://soundcloud.com/user-826011730%2Fmy-melancholy-baby
what sound do you have! I love it, I magically found myself in the roaring 20s (y)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Guido, listened again your track. Love the sound. Some real charming moments. The lines not always as charming... but I guess because you just played it without some going to deeper practice.
Sorry for critic :). I remember that after I said something similar you did another track super. Any intention to push you to redo. It is your business :) ...
I hope to find time to do better, I think the track I recorded with the tenor is slightly better but I would like to try to make one with the bass clarinet (on which I'm not very capable, it could be a danger to your ears :))

Ciao and thanks for your listening.

·
Registered
243 Posts
what sound do you have! I love it, I magically found myself in the roaring 20s (y)
Thank you Guido! Thanks also for choosing such a terrific tune for this month. I knew it only vaguely before, but now find myself humming it all the time!

Bill

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Jared,

You certainly sound more comfortable with the melody on this recording, and I like the sound you are getting out of your tenor. My only criticism is that I thought you were a little low in the mix - I'd rather hear a bit more of you and less of the backing. Well done!

Bill

·
Registered
243 Posts
here is my version ( on Soprano sax ) of this month song. My Melancholy Baby... Sorry, I do not know to improvise..
I enjoyed your version a lot - you have an excellent tone and played the piece very well. There is no need to apologise for not improvising by the way. Not all of us have to be jazz oriented!

Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 43 Posts