Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am glad to have been asked to select the B&I TOTM for november 2020: thanks Peter.

I've chosen "My Melancholy Baby", a popular song published in 1912 and first sung publicly by William Frawley. The music was written by Ernie Burnett (1884–1959), the lyrics by George A. Norton

Scores, MP3 Backing , BIAB file and other resources are avaliable at this link:

Numerous recordings of “My Melancholy Baby" can be readily found on Youtube. I have selected some videos, among wich:

Mina, a great italian singer

A funny take by Red Pellini: Red is the man that has modified my baritone Keilwerth from LowA to LowBb

Some instrumental

"My Melancholy Baby" by Warne Marsh

some singers

and a funny family

I wish you a lot of fun with this nice tune, looking forward to many posts.

Ciao and keep you safe.

Reactions: jmoen3 and sax1st

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
One of my favourite versions of MMB by one of my very favourite players. Wishing you a very good B/I TOTM Guido😎
Alex, thx for BE and LK version... I just listen multiple big versions and didn't see this one... memories meeting Mr. Konitz a while ago came to my mind.
Adore both players.

Of course thanks to Guido for this TOTM selection.

Reactions: sax1st

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m the host and need to start the game.

Here is my very quick and very dirty take on Bari:

Ciao and keep you safe.

Reactions: Meyer65

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very nice Guido! I like the sound of your Bari and it suits this tune really well. Thanks also for choosing such a classic tune for this month!

Bill

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Guido! I like the sound of your Bari and it suits this tune really well. Thanks also for choosing such a classic tune for this month!

Bill
Thanks Bill,
a blow (one hit one take) at the end of a very busy work day.

Now that I have started I hope to hear from you all soon.

Ciao

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Very nice take Guido, fully agree with Bill on your baritone sound and approach. :)

Don't work to hard. I should say the same to myself too, did have working days of 12 to 15 hours a day this week so I'm even glad I had the energy and time to listen to your take. ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice take Guido, fully agree with Bill on your baritone sound and approach. :)

Don't work to hard. I should say the same to myself too, did have working days of 12 to 15 hours a day this week so I'm even glad I had the energy and time to listen to your take. ;)
Thanks Peter,

i am not working too much but i am not working well.

These are difficult times, we have managed to maintain our revenues for 2020 but working more at lower rates; I am very pessimistic about what we have to expect for 2021 because I believe that we will have a dramatic winter from the health point of view and, consequently, also from the socio-economic point of view.

Furthermore, we and our customers are working almost entirely remotely and honestly there has been some problems in organizing the processes.

Luckily we have our saxophones ! :)

Ciao and keep you safe.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is anybody there ? :) Here is my first attempt on tenore

Ciao and keep you safe.

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,776 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Bill
I like the sound of your tenore! That is a very nice treatment Guido.

Sorry I have been a bit busy lately but I will definitely be posting an attempt soon!

Bill
Thanks Bill, I look forward to listening to you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here is my non holy baby... after Guido's gipsy swing version, I did what I did ... kind of ballad.

long last ! I was really too alone in these parts! :)

Michael I like a lot !

Playing at so slow time is not simple and you do it very well, with great expression and phrasing.
And then I love your sound !

Reactions: jmoen3

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: jmoen3

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Jared, Guido, thanks for kind words... I recorded yesterday a bit late and just posted.
When listened today, I was "shocked" by how the sax loudness and crippy edginess of my so called "sound" pops up above the beautiful orchestra track.

I reduced the volume of sax track... and feel some relief :) . It sounds much better than was the original upload.
Don't want to ask to spend your time again, but if you will decide to do it, I guess you'll find it more pleasant than the first one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts