Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month B&I TOTM host ailmont (Al) is currently on a short holiday and asked me to start the thread for him. Here is the text he prepared:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to our previous B&I TOTM host. I have agreed to host this month and have chosen as a challenge, at least to myself, to ask for your efforts on a jazz waltz!

The song is “Alice in Wonderland” by Sammy Fain. It has famously been recorded by Bill Evans, Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck.

https://youtu.be/ywGRnFjOaxI

https://youtu.be/JemloG_boGM

https://youtu.be/IJfzTgYWfPw

But this has to be my personal favourite:

https://youtu.be/2avN8X9w-rc

Files may be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6xf46h1pw7slba/AADZRmrwanFqA6rx0giDh2UUa?dl=0

Many thanks to @mrpeebee who has agreed to post the starter in my absence as I am away until Satsurday when hopefully I will have something to listen to.

Regards Al.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm the first one ! :)

I have to test my new mpc for Alto: Jody Jazz Jet.

Lately I have neglected the Alto and I need to exercise my embouchure.

I don't know this tune ant here is my quick and dirty take:

https://soundcloud.com/guido-creo/alice-in-wonderland-20181102-a-1

A Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz - Jody Jazz Jet 7 - Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
A great way to start the month Guido. I especially like your phrasing in the solo. Are you playing four even notes per bar in places (kinda the opposite of triplets !) ?
There are a lot of ways to approach the 3/4 time.

I was thinking about a Jet mpc for the bari, but just can't seem to place the order ... :mrgreen:
Are you trying to keep the volume down ? It sounds like you're blowing softly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Many thanks @mrpeebee for initiating B&ITOTM for me in my absence. Back exhausted after a holiday! Strange that both TOTM are in 3/4 time! Like buses wait forever then two come at once.
@guidocreo thanks for kicking things off. I agree with @Brendan, sounds like you are treating your new MP with kid gloves, as all of the JJ Jet pieces I have heard will almost strip paint when pushed and are extremely loud. Nice interpretation of the melody and interesting impro, look forward to the next post. Regards Al

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back exhausted after a holiday! Strange that both TOTM are in 3/4 time! Like buses wait forever then two come at once.
Welcome back Al, hope you had a good time.

Indeed two 3/4 tunes, which actually is very efficient (once you have the feel you can do both TOTM's)!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Indeed two 3/4 tunes, which actually is very efficient (once you have the feel you can do both TOTM's)!
Later this month, Peebee plays both tunes with the same backing track ... and doesn't notice .... :mrgreen: :bluewink:

·
Registered
638 Posts
A great way to start the month Guido. I especially like your phrasing in the solo. Are you playing four even notes per bar in places (kinda the opposite of triplets !) ?
There are a lot of ways to approach the 3/4 time.

I was thinking about a Jet mpc for the bari, but just can't seem to place the order ... :mrgreen:
Are you trying to keep the volume down ? It sounds like you're blowing softly.

@guidocreo thanks for kicking things off. I agree with @Brendan, sounds like you are treating your new MP with kid gloves, as all of the JJ Jet pieces I have heard will almost strip paint when pushed and are extremely loud. Nice interpretation of the melody and interesting impro, look forward to the next post. Regards Al

Thanks.

Yes, I am trying to play very calm, otherwise Jet cracks the windows.

I am trying to use Jet on alto, tenor and baritone because I'm playing in a R&B, Rock Blues and Dance band and swap the saxes between the tunes: I need consistency in the reaction of the mouthpieces and reeds.

Jets are not my preferred mouthpieces but I like their easy blowing and their proiection and cutting.

As for my improvisation as you know I close my eyes and open my ears: only heart no mind. :)

Ciao

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Later this month, Peebee plays both tunes with the same backing track ... and doesn't notice .... :mrgreen: :bluewink:
I can't promise that won't happen!

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
@Mrblackbat, a cappella, unaccompanied, in this instance rubato? through the melody. To me given your choice of a sop gave the whole thing a rather rustic flavour. The impro seemed to revert to strict time and then waxed lyrical again, giving the take a rather quirky, down a rabbit hole through the looking glass feel.
Nice one! Regards Al

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
@B Flat nice to hear your two takes. I listened, went away had coffe came back listened again in reverse order. The bari take is great lovely laid back feel lots of space in the impro reintroducing snatches of the melody here and there a nice touch. The alto take I felt was hurried you tried to put too much in to it. Like you I struggle with 3/4 impro and have not as yet digitised my attempts they’ve been too crass. Maybe as the old saying goes less is more. Look forward to hearing your next posts. Regards Al

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The bari take is great lovely laid back feel lots of space in the impro reintroducing snatches of the melody here and there a nice touch
How about that soaring passage around the 2:20 mark .... fills my heart with joy !! :mrgreen: :bluewink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
@Mrblackbat, a cappella, unaccompanied, in this instance rubato? through the melody. To me given your choice of a sop gave the whole thing a rather rustic flavour. The impro seemed to revert to strict time and then waxed lyrical again, giving the take a rather quirky, down a rabbit hole through the looking glass feel.
Nice one! Regards Al
Well it was meant all to be in strict time from the b section, but ho hum!

Rustic: I can dig that! Still need some work up top though, the squawks when I go for (not that) high notes are a bit embarrassing....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi @Francisco Silva,thanks for the post. I approve your choice of horn, Yams are great workhorses. New new or new old? I’m not a great fan of the Yamaha Mps except for starters my personal choices on my own mkI are Selmer Artist C** for a classical sound to fit in a BB section or Jody Jazz DV for something to lead / front with.
Back to the post, the basis of the tone is there just needs some work as with any new horn. You sounded a little nervous, thinking beyond the mic? No one bites here except reeds! The impro was a bit wandering then who am I to talk my 3/4 impro sucks. Look forward to hearing you on this horn again to measure progress. Regards Al

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks ailmont, it's a new new horn, it was the best i could buy, It cost as much as a second hand car I bought recently :) So, I can rest my old Chinese horn now, and if Yamaha was a good choice for Phil Woods, it will be very good for me too :) Of course it will not do miracles, but continuing the journey ...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts