Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May is upon us (or nearly). So let's enjoy some wonderful Stanley Turrentine and jam out with some 'Sugar'.

Laid back, with a bit of a quick turning triplet. FYI - this part can can be played as a simple eighth rather than the triplet to make it more accessible to beginners. (I can write this out on request).

Hope to hear some fantastic takes swinging it up in here. As always, the B&I is welcome for all players, so pros, amateurs, brand new saxers, and all the in-between are welcome to share and try out this tune.

Here's some lead sheets and backings!

· Premium Member
21,128 Posts
Nice pick Jared, glad you (and the attenders) do such a good job keeping these thread alive and cicking since I left as active moderator.

As often I've done this tune before, in this case even four times. On sequence of recording year:

1. - 'Sugar' (Early Babbit 8* - La Voz medium) - 1998 - Bob Session combo rehearsal:

2. - 'Sugar' (Early Babbit 8* - La Voz medium) - Aug 2011 - piano backing track:

3. - 'Sugar' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - Aug 2011 - piano backing track:

4. - 'Sugar' (metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS - Rico Royal 2) - Dec 2017 - organ backing track:

Recording 2 and 3 where made to compare my old main mouthpiece (the EB 8*) with my in that time new main mouthpiece (the FL 10*). I like both, but still preferred the 10* because it's much louder.

Please don't feel obligated to listen to all!

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Here's a live recording from 2016 - all I remember is that I was blowing as hard as I could, because the rest of the band was LOUD ... and I should have shut the hell up during the guitar solo ! 😄

https://soundcloud.com/brendan-sax%2Fsugar

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love this tune but, That picture just grosses me out!
I'm no prude, I've been known to stick my tongue in alot of places (you can ask my wife) but
that is just too much!
Definitely should have picked a different video :)

Nice pick Jared, glad you (and the attenders) do such a good job keeping these thread alive and cicking since I left as active moderator.

As often I've done this tune before, in this case even four times. On sequence of recording year:

1. - 'Sugar' (Early Babbit 8* - La Voz medium) - 1998 - Bob Session combo rehearsal:

2. - 'Sugar' (Early Babbit 8* - La Voz medium) - Aug 2011 - piano backing track:

3. - 'Sugar' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - Aug 2011 - piano backing track:

4. - 'Sugar' (metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS - Rico Royal 2) - Dec 2017 - organ backing track:

Recording 2 and 3 where made to compare my old main mouthpiece (the EB 8*) with my in that time new main mouthpiece (the FL 10*). I like both, but still preferred the 10* because it's much louder.

Please don't feel obligated to listen to all!
Thanks Peter, happy to keep this rolling! I have definitely listened to all of your takes:) Great to hear some much of your playing. Really nice it goes all the way back to 98!

1. Lovely subdued recording, what a great sound from a full rehearsal recording. Your sound was amazing, but not as powerful here as anything I remember you playing. Guess you developed more gusto as you kept playing :). Either way, this was a great old take and really hit the feel of the song. Great playing.

2. Much different feel from the backing and intro! Almost a change of momentum, but added some liveliness! The subtone is great, but definitely less powerful than the 10*. Love stretching up into the upper register

3. Subtone even softer feeling than the EB piece, but fuller. Great approach to this one. I really enjoy the sound of this one most I believe. Some lovely ventures outside in the solo. The sense of freedom and enjoyment is superb :). Sounds like it feels like home. Altissimo rocking too.

4. Lovely organ track, this would be a great one I may try to find. The tempo is also perfect for this TOTM. A bit buzzier sounding than usual, i'll blame the Berg :). Also really enjoy the scoops, twists, and drops at this pace. Adding some grits to the sugar :) Definitely felt like you were most comfortable with the tune soloing on this one.

All 4 great takes Peter! Still wish we could hear a fresh one, but its so great you have such a huge collection and can contribute still.

Here's a live recording from 2016 - all I remember is that I was blowing as hard as I could, because the rest of the band was LOUD ... and I should have shut the hell up during the guitar solo ! 😄

https://soundcloud.com/brendan-sax%2Fsugar
Great to hear some vintage Brendan :). Awesome live group! I can definitely hear you're trying to keep up with the volume. Drummer definitely trying to give you a hernia :). Your tone and approach are great. Love the fills too. Your backing up didn't sound bad either. Really great solo here too, love the approach. Loved the line at 2:32 with the rolling rhythm there. Great playing Brendan looking forward to hearing more recent take from you!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, here's my first read of this one. No prep other than having to redo the head once after the tricky rhythm twisted my fingers up. I'm definitely going to try and pull some transcriptions and absorb some language for this tune, as I want to hear and learn more on this wonderful tune.

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fsugar-first-read

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Hello everybody,
cool tune! I knew it somehow - but not from title or who's the player. Thank you Jared for filling the gap and hosting this month with this super catchy and bluesy song!
I recorded a track on soprano. It's on a new Mercury curvy. It's definitely brighter and more strident (and a bit louder) than my straight Yanagisawa but is really fun to play.

https://soundcloud.com/taragot%2Fsugar_soprano

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,113 Posts
Hi All. Nice tune, and Mr. T is all up there on the podium of my top favorites.
Sorry, I’m gonna play it cheap. This tune was a TOTM a decade ago, it was one of my first participations, and probably my first me + me2 sax dialog. Link STM against Berg stainless steel. No video in those good old days.

Salut Stan ! Passe-moi le sucre !

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Love this tune but, That picture just grosses me out!
I'm no prude, I've been known to stick my tongue in alot of places (you can ask my wife) but
that is just too much!
First I had the same reaction as you... and called my lady... she says it's simply a baby sweet foot...
I exploded :) ... in that case it's completly insane. Seriosly, I would like to find a real sense of that pic.

Reactions: J-Moen

· Finally Distinguished
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,616 Posts
It doesn't bother me. I suppose it's what you're in to. Not a foot fetishist here but I'm more creeped out by S&M stuff fo sho.

I really like the trumpet solo on the Turrentine piece. Always wished I had learned trumpet. We had one around the house when I was growing up but I never gave much of an effort to learn it for some reason.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everybody,
cool tune! I knew it somehow - but not from title or who's the player. Thank you Jared for filling the gap and hosting this month with this super catchy and bluesy song!
I recorded a track on soprano. It's on a new Mercury curvy. It's definitely brighter and more strident (and a bit louder) than my straight Yanagisawa but is really fun to play.

https://soundcloud.com/taragot%2Fsugar_soprano
Feels a bit gypsy-jazz-esque! Love the subdued nature. The tone on that soprano doesn't feel overly bright to me, but rather very centered and warm! Love the way it fits over this backing. Your second head take was exemplary in how you pushed over the melody in your own way. The solo was a lovely adventure - bluesy but vibrant, like talking a slow walk around a lovely pond in the dusk :). Awesome take for just getting this thing started Dirk! My only problem with it is that it faded away too quick :)

Hi All. Nice tune, and Mr. T is all up there on the podium of my top favorites.
Sorry, I’m gonna play it cheap. This tune was a TOTM a decade ago, it was one my first participations, and probably my first me + me2 sax dialog. Link STM against Berg stainless steel. No video in those good old days.

Salut Stan ! Passe-moi le sucre !
Well thats a fun older take! Love the duo playing, really two distinct sounds you're getting on those two mouthpieces. Love the interchange you had between the two takes though. Absolutely superb playing, shows a masterful approach to dueting with one's self. Love the solos too, really inspiring. Love the verbiage and gritty playing throughout. Lovely growls and you're all over the horn. Just impressive all around!

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Thank you so much, Jared! I start tomorow with my walk through the tracks uploaded yet.

Reactions: J-Moen

· Registered
3,467 Posts
mrpeebee - (1998) Early Babbitt 8* — YEAH baby! When I first bought mine, all I knew was Stanley played one and I wanted that sound — I was 14. Emilio said, “What size?” Again, I knew Stanley played an 8*, so I said, “Eight star?” To which Emilio responded, “Kid, who you think you are, Sonny Rollins?” At his insistence, I tried a 6, 7 and 8*. I bought the 8*. There’s something very Benny Golson in your feel here, and I like it (of course, you wisely avoided Benny’s triple-time). Even when you go up above the staff, you’re staying within yourself and it’s really lyrical.

(2011 8*) The backing isn’t giving you anything in the way of support, here. At 1:30 — YES! Solo strikes me as quite similar, but with a less supportive background.

(2011 10*) Man, you love those open pieces! I’ve had to back off with age (and a hernia). Like the use of alternate fingers on this take. To my ear, this take is hitting a lot of those key notes in the changes (those funky symbols on the page!). Easy there, Lenny! :D. Love it.

(2017 150/2 [WHAT!?!?!?]) Does that mouthpiece come with its own oxygen tank? This backings works better than the others, but again, the solo is actually quite similar. The main difference here is that I can hear you working the openness of the mouthpiece. I think I like the early take and this one the best.

Brendan - Man, they’re off to the races with that tempo. I get what you’re saying about playing behind the guitar, but I’ve had people ask me to do this behind them when they play. It works better than it sounds to your ear, though. Man, they ARE loud. Even though you say you were blowing hard as you could, it doesn’t sound like you’re laboring and you stayed with them. 

J-Moen/grybeard - It is what it is, guys. That’s the original CTI cover (and quite likely helped them sell MANY copies). 

J-Moen - Ah! Tenor in the low register! My buddy Greg Fiske did it in this register a million years ago when we did this one for the TOTM. I liked it so much, I tried it. I’m not Greg. :D You muscled through well down there. I like the overall lyricism of the solo here. I can hear you using some… pet phrases? Not sure how to describe it. They’re YOUR lines, but they are kind of a comfort zone, rhythmically. I kind of wanted to hear you push out of that zone (which you definitely did around the three minute mark). I kill myself for repeating rhythmic phrases, and I’m not trying to extend that outward, but my ear wants to hear you push those rhythmic boundaries a bit. Solid outing.

Target - Soprano on Sugar! Gutsy call! Of course, if I had your soprano sound, I’d probably try it, too. Your improv was so seamless that I was actually confused at first, then you just pushed a bit further with each phrase. Nicely executed. Patience and space — beautiful. 

dexdex - Nice! A split personality outing! Love it! Nice conversation going on the head. The first horn (left channel?) has a warmer tone to my ear. The other has body and cut. I assume STM is the first and Berg is the second. It really does give the impression of two players, though, which is cool.

keilmer - Nice, warm tone. Opening phrase of the improv grabs me right away. I got discouraged when the keys came in, but looking at the slider, realized you must be coming back and that you did. Your use of triplets really recalls the head, which is a nice touch. Going up high around 2:45 has a nice effect, as well. 

Now, sadly, I thought I was being all coy sticking with the bari on this, but alas, Brendan and keilmer had other ideas. :D I have a bunch of older recordings of this, but pretty sure I hate all of them, so I’m starting from scratch. Calling this one the baseline of this month’s effort, but with definite plans to beat this tune like a rented mule. This is take 2. I liked what happened with take 1 until I listened to take 2. So this is my pick for the baseline.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Jared.

Please find heremy version (Baritone sax).
It is the result of a home recording project (recording & mixing by band members / fr) with a former band.
That's a wonderful group you have there! What a lovely warm velvety tone you get from that big horn! A treat to listen to, and the solo really paid great homage to the tune. Excellent rendition!

J-Moen - Ah! Tenor in the low register! My buddy Greg Fiske did it in this register a million years ago when we did this one for the TOTM. I liked it so much, I tried it. I’m not Greg. :D You muscled through well down there. I like the overall lyricism of the solo here. I can hear you using some… pet phrases? Not sure how to describe it. They’re YOUR lines, but they are kind of a comfort zone, rhythmically. I kind of wanted to hear you push out of that zone (which you definitely did around the three minute mark). I kill myself for repeating rhythmic phrases, and I’m not trying to extend that outward, but my ear wants to hear you push those rhythmic boundaries a bit. Solid outing.

Now, sadly, I thought I was being all coy sticking with the bari on this, but alas, Brendan and keilmer had other ideas. :D I have a bunch of older recordings of this, but pretty sure I hate all of them, so I’m starting from scratch. Calling this one the baseline of this month’s effort, but with definite plans to beat this tune like a rented mule. This is take 2. I liked what happened with take 1 until I listened to take 2. So this is my pick for the baseline.
Thanks very much for the kind words! I love the low register on the head here. Ideally I'd have some lows and a harmony. I may write out something fun for this one.

What a great powerhouse of a sound for this one. Full and vibrant, while keeping things laid into that chilled out beat. Awesome through the head. Solo comes out swinging! Set such a stellar tone then start ripping off some amazing lines. Very impressive and I'm envious of your control of the big horn. Love when you rip into those long lines, followed by such a succinct statement. Great!

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Here‘s my take on this one.

I used the Spectrum Intelligent Fliter Wah pedal for a couple of choruses and the out head.

Thanks for listening as always.

Alex

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here‘s my take on this one.

I used the Spectrum Intelligent Fliter Wah pedal for a couple of choruses and the out head.

Thanks for listening as always.

Alex
Another masterpiece Alex. Tone and sound just epic. And I absolutely LOVE the line you used to end the head just before kicking on the Wah pedal. You really know how to get everything out of whatever instrument or tools you're using! The Wah sounds epic and really laid perfectly over this track. Helps that the lines you played are just perfectly spot on! Love how you interlaced the Wah and Pure sax for the outgoing head. Really wonderful. I'm going to listen again... and again :D

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Another masterpiece Alex. Tone and sound just epic. And I absolutely LOVE the line you used to end the head just before kicking on the Wah pedal. You really know how to get everything out of whatever instrument or tools you're using! The Wah sounds epic and really laid perfectly over this track. Helps that the lines you played are just perfectly spot on! Love how you interlaced the Wah and Pure sax for the outgoing head. Really wonderful. I'm going to listen again... and again :D
Thank you so much Jared. Much appreciated 😎🎶🎵

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.