Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having trouble deciding what type of tune to pick for this month, and wanted something quite a bit different from whats normally done, but still relatively simple.

So - How about a change of pace to a Disney Calypso Tune!!

I'm sure most all of us have heard this song from 'The Little Mermaid' and its definitely got a great rhythm, and a very memorable melody! It was written by Alan Menken who wrote many of the great Disney scores to tons of the other movies. I love the feel and styling here, and the track I've provided provides ample room for soloing, but also keeps a fairly simple foray of chord changes. Really excited to hear everyone's renditions!

Here is the track based off of a great Hal Leonard arrangement and backing.

There are tons of instrumental backings out there, most of which feature key changes (from Bb to C like the original), and some in entirely different keys. I hope that everyone will jump in to enjoy this tune with me. I know my wife and daughter will be happy to hear these!

And I've added this to the B&I TOTM Index Here: SOTW Beginners/Intermediates TOTM (Tune of the Month) -...

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for hosting May. This cool tune reminds me when my children were young (33 years ago). Your take was fun. Bravo.
Thanks! My daughter is 6 months tomorrow, soon she'll be enjoying this movie (it's my wife's favorite).

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this to be a difficult choice. The calypso is not something i am used to play. This here is my Disney on clarinet...
I thought this was absolutely amazing! Doesn't really sound like you found it difficult, you navigated the head beautifully! Your clarinet sound is absolutely wonderful btw. I also loved your soloing - some great ideas and well flowing. I'm very impressed, thanks for sharing such a great take!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This song certainly wasn't everyone's cup of tea, sorry about that. Hoping to revive this in the next month with a killer tune.

That said, we need a new Host for the upcoming month! Please send me a PM if you'd like to host for June!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.