Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks guys, so I'll have the honor of being your host during the month of May. The song that I chose is "There Will Never Be Another You" by Harry Warren. I hope it will please everyone, I tried to choose a new theme here in the forum, not to repeat. I never played it, so I'm going to learn it too.

The Masters

and I loved this trumpet, great!

the respective sheets from the Real Book and some background tracks from youtube:

https://app.box.com/s/5if1q7iux1swntbpxnicu2aygdx0d4ej

Hope you enjoy!

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
I did found two old recordings of this song in my archive.

Here is the first TOTM I ever recorded back in November 2010, after being for only one month on my 10* Florida Otto Link (coming from an 8* EB Link). Didn't know much about recording and mixing in those days and would have loved to re-mix my old take to better levels, but I didn't save the original recordings in those times. So what's left is this bad quality 128 kbps MP3 recording of my first TOTM recording ever!

2010 - There Will Never Be Another You (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9889890

And here is a very slow tempo version recorded back in October 2016 for a German saxophone forum:

2016 - There Will Never Be Another You (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) slow:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13469263

Hope to be able to make a new one this month. :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did found two old recordings of this song in my archive.

Here is the first TOTM I ever recorded back in November 2010, after being for only one month on my 10* Florida Otto Link (coming from an 8* EB Link). Didn't know much about recording and mixing in those days and would have loved to re-mix my old take to better levels, but I didn't save the original recordings in those times. So what's left is this bad quality 128 kbps MP3 recording of my first TOTM recording ever!

2010 - There Will Never Be Another You (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9889890

And here is a very slow tempo version recorded back in October 2016 for a German saxophone forum:

2016 - There Will Never Be Another You (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) slow:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13469263

Hope to be able to make a new one this month. :)
Good start (this time I was not fast enough :) ) that altissimo, very good, I still do not know how to play so high. Thanks for the post and we are waiting for a fresh recording ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
One of the first songs I learnt years ago when learning jazz. I'll see if it's possible to get some time this month to do a take....

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Good start (this time I was not fast enough :) ) that altissimo, very good, I still do not know how to play so high. Thanks for the post and we are waiting for a fresh recording ;)
Thanks Francisco. Altissimo playing is not so easy, some get it fast and for others it stays an issue. You have to 'think' the notes high and blow in a certain way to get them out, not easy to describe (but lots of info can be found here on SOTW). For me it always came easy and it helps when you play bigger tip size mouthpieces, but that's not really required. Learning altissimo will also improve your overall tone and embouchure.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
I'm glad to let you know that Keith Ridenhour volunteered to host the B&I TOTM for June 2018, which saves us some headache to find someone later this month. :)

Let me know if you are interested to host one of the future B&I or normal TOTM threads and I can add you to the list.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'll definitely have time to record this. It's one I practice routinely, I'm working on building tempo in improvising and it's one of the tunes I think I can pull off above 200bpm. When I was younger I always struggled above 200. I have a better practice regimine than before which is often the culprit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll definitely have time to record this. It's one I practice routinely, I'm working on building tempo in improvising and it's one of the tunes I think I can pull off above 200bpm. When I was younger I always struggled above 200. I have a better practice regimine than before which is often the culprit.
It's good to know, we will wait for your take ;)

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
It's good to know, we will wait for your take ;)
Nice take Francisco. The melody sounded very relaxed and well timed, you also gave the notes the right length (not cutting them off before the end). The solo part was nicely done. In the past you often wanted to do too much notes in too short time, you stayed relaxed the full tune. Well done!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
@mrpeebee: I liked the faster take more, mostly because I am used to hearing this tune at a faster tempo.
Also liked the altissimo section, something I am really not great at.
@Guido: As Peter mentioned you are getting a nice tone from your alto and you did well over this tune.
I'm curious as to whether you still have that Keilwerth Baritone?
@Francisco: Nicely played Francisco, Timing was very good and you seemed quite relaxed through this.

I hope to get a chance to give this one a shot at some point.

Nick.

·
Registered
640 Posts
@Guido: As Peter mentioned you are getting a nice tone from your alto and you did well over this tune.
I'm curious as to whether you still have that Keilwerth Baritone?

Nick.

Thanks Nick; yes, I still have the Keilwerth Baritone and, after a general overhaul, it sound better than ever :): I hope to get a take on the Keilwerth until the end of month
Ciao

·
Registered
640 Posts
@mrpeebee: I liked the slower take more, it seems to me more fluent.

@Francisco: you are relaxed and obtain a nice sound on a very good timing; you play better time after time, go on so !

@BFlat: Nick what nice take and wath nice backing ! I like your sound !

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good interpretation @B Flat, thanks for posting.

Thank you Peter, Nick, Guido for the comments and nice words. Yet, I feel a little disappointed with myself, there are times when I feel myself regress, and now I am feeling that, two steps forward and one step back, maybe.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts