Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to take up the reins for this months B&I TOTM!

This one is going to be a lovely ballad, one that I know so well from Dexter Gordon - Especially seeing as it is only just the day after his birthday:

Darn That Dream - It's a beautiful ballad from the well renowned Jimmy Van Heusen, originally released in 1939. Benny Goodman helped make it famous, and, unbeknownst to me, it was actually in the musical Swingin' the Dream which was apparently a broadway retelling of A Midsummer Night's Dream! I hope you will all join me in slowing things down and playing some wonderful takes this month!

Here is the lead sheets and a couple of backings:

More backings here (I really enjoy the top one):

And it has been updated and added to the index here:

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luckily I caught that right before heading to bed! Thanks Dave - link should allow access to all now

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Few More tracks for inspiration:

Billie Holiday with Ben Webster showing us how to play alongside a vocalist and a great trumpet solo from Harry "Sweets" Edison:

Tony Bennett:

Benny Goodman and his Orchestra:

Chet Baker featuring a huge group, but heres the saxes: Alto - Art Pepper, Bud Shank;Tenor - Bill Perkins, Phil Urso

And need to get both of my favorite Tenor players on here, Sonny Rollins!

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great tune.
Here’s one from me that I did a couple years ago on Baritone.
Finally had a chance to give your take a listen. That was a couple years ago?! You nailed it! Your tone was sublime, completely rocked the melody, and your solo built wonderfully into a phenomenal take! Seriously impressive!

I have played this before but it's been af few years now. This one is from this morning. :)
You definitely sounded very comfortable - I'm sure many here have played this one before. Your sound was amazingly full but hit soft, reminescent of Coleman Hawkins to me! Lovely playing, wish I was capable of achieving that :). Your solo was very well laid out - but I found it a little off beat at times, especially in your quicker runs - others may prefer it this way though, I just thought it would have been better a little more laid back. Not to take away from your amazing take though, as it sounded wonderful!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi All. I’m wondering if I ever participated in this category. Anyhow, Darn That Dream is my top favorite ballad. I’ve been playing it quite often with local bands. I suspect I cannot qualify for the “beginner” status.
You might check how far my nickname reflects my references.

Darn That Dream , recorded live Jan 2019 @ Chorus in Lausanne, Switzerland.

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All. I’m wondering if I ever participated in this category. Anyhow, Darn That Dream is my top favorite ballad. I’ve been playing it quite often with local bands. I suspect I cannot qualify for the “beginner” status.
You might check how far my nickname reflects my references.
Not sure if we'd seen you participate here - but You are more than welcome to join us! The B&I TOTM is for all, its just labeled as B&I to describe tune choice and make it less intimidating for those who may be interested.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,128 Posts
Yes! This is a tune I’ve always wanted to learn...what a great melody! I’m putting all these versions on a playlist for myself for a week so I can get it in my head along with a bunch of good solos.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Here’s my take on this one.

A different feel to what might be expected. I would call this a quick and dirty take in terms of what I normally do when preparing and recording. A good friend sent me down a solid silver Yanagisawa neck to use on my Forestone RXUL and it has pulled the horn even more together than it was before. Still waiting on a MB1 from Jennifer Price to appear from LA so in the meantime it‘s the Link and back to the BSS reeds (at least for now)

Hope joining in on the B/I TOTM is okay. It’s a great ballad and a nice one to work through.

Thanks for listening if you have time.

Alex

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

A different feel to what might be expected. I would call this a quick and dirty take in terms of what I normally do when preparing and recording. A good friend sent me down a solid silver Yanagisawa neck to use on my Forestone RXUL and it has pulled the horn even more together than it was before. Still waiting on a MB1 from Jennifer Price to appear from LA so in the meantime it‘s the Link and back to the BSS reeds (at least for now)

Hope joining in on the B/I TOTM is okay. It’s a great ballad and a nice one to work through.

Thanks for listening if you have time.

Alex
Smooooooooth Alex! Love it. Definitely hits different than the usual, starting with the raised octave! But you played masterfully as always! Love the ideas and integration! Although, the mix seems a little off and your reverb doesn't sync into the background as seemlessly as most of your tracks!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Smooooooooth Alex! Love it. Definitely hits different than the usual, starting with the raised octave! But you played masterfully as always! Love the ideas and integration! Although, the mix seems a little off and your reverb doesn't sync into the background as seemlessly as most of your tracks!
That’s what you get with quick and dirty (well at least from me anyways) it didn’t sound too out of whack through my system but I take your point.
Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Great tune.
Here’s one from me that I did a couple years ago on Baritone.
Hey B Flat, that is a challenge. I play some baritone, and tend to think ballads and lush subtoning aren’t easy on the big horn.
Your version demonstrates it not only is possible, but sounds so great.
Really nice playing on that horn.

Alex
Original approach, both the backing track, and the fact you play in the upper range of the horn. Very nice one too. Quick and dirty ? How would it sound the long and clean way ?

·
TOTM administrator
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s what you get with quick and dirty (well at least from me anyways) it didn’t sound too out of whack through my system but I take your point.
Cheers!
Oh, your quick and dirty still sounds lightyears ahead of what I'm capable of! Just sounded slightly different than your usual! I loved it though, and always great to hear things in a different light!

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Oh, your quick and dirty still sounds lightyears ahead of what I'm capable of! Just sounded slightly different than your usual! I loved it though, and always great to hear things in a different light!
Thanks J. I did go back and started to record another track on the same project and happened to notice that the channel for the backing track had a couple of unnecessary FX loaded on it. This would account for the imbalance. All good. Hope to hear more tracks on this thread soon.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts