Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all of you.

For this month it's time for a ballad. Just about two weeks ago I wasn't all fit, had a serious cold/flu/fever and everything nice that comes with that. All of that is left behind now, but at that time I was not able to pick up the horn but upon recovery I had some extra time to listen to some albums and I came across a recording from Prisoner Of Love (Russ Columbo) by Lester Young and Teddy Wilson. Somehow the tune got to me so I started a search for some additional info, sheetmusic, backingtracks etc.

Unfortunately there is not that much going around for this great tune. Just a few recordings on Youtube and I couldn't find a backingtrack there also. The sheetmusic should be in one of the Hal Leonard books, but between all the Realbooks etc that I have myself, that one I don't have.
I did find some snippets on the internet, including some from the James Brown version. I used these to write out the music myself following the melody and chords from those pieces that I found. So it's not a transcription I did, just putting the available pieces together for Bb and Eb.

Now for the backingtrack. I couldn't find something usefull on Youtube etc. so I put everything in iRealPro to make one.

I think this is a really nice ballad, lots of the melody is made up from arpeggiated chords. This hopefully already gives a nice guideline to create something yourself even if you stay really close to the melody. Something I personally like with a ballad, although doing it in practice is another matter :).

The next 5 days I'm a bit busy and will not be at home much. It's festival time in the south of Holland where I live (and a big part of Germany also), so I'm out with my streetband going through town, playing outside, pubs and allsorts of happenings. Playing from noon to after midnight, so I'll probably need the mornings for recovery (and we are not getting thirsty all these days :whistle:). But I will try to check here, even if it's only a quick scan. As of wednesday I should have a bit more time.

Now what's in the Box,
- sheetmusic for Bb and Eb
- backingtracks in 80 bpm and 100 bpm with 3 choruses
- the same two tracks with 6 choruses in case you have to many ideas or just like to keep exploring them
- the iRealPro html file. For those of you who use iRealPro and want to tinker with the backing (tempo, style etc). As I understood the html file should be sufficient for that.

If you don't use iRealPro and you would like something changed for the backing (tempo, style for instance) just let know. I will try to accommodate, but probably not until wednesday next week.

https://app.box.com/s/irk86ylip40fha9krvx0902f8xf02teu

After I had put everything together I learned there is a version in Aebersold vol.46 I believe. I don't have that one available and if some of you do and want to use his backing please also check the chords he uses. I've found that there sometimes is a slightly different progression in the Aebersolds.

As already said, not that much on Youtube but here are a few on saxophone

Lester Young and Teddy Wilson

Coleman Hawkins

Coleman Hawkins with Ben Webster, two completely different styles in one recording.

Hopefully we will hear a lot and nice recordings from you. Don't hesitate to participate if you have the time.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Ok, so it's bloody hot here today and I left work early.
So I had a chance to quickly record this both on Tenor and on Baritone.

Tenor is a 1932 Selmer Super
Merlot 8* piece.
Rico Select Jazz 3M.
https://app.box.com/s/rj4yr3bg1jryxp25fsnfrocog7tgbafk

Baritone is 1950's The Martin Comm III.
Otto Link STM no USA 9 piece.
Fibracell 3.5.
https://app.box.com/s/ielg6jbd3b8zfs5rybmiupraz5c2ltyi

Backing is an Aebersold from vol 46 (out of this world).
Nick.

P.S. I think I may have beaten Francisco:bluewink:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for preparing this month B&I TOTM Grumpie, nice pick.

I've updated the B&I TOTM index thread with the current month:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ce-January-2010-onwards&p=3814110#post3814110

Enjoy the Carnaval festivities in South NL coming days and looking forward to many posts this month. :)
Thanks Peter, I will. With the band we only get together in this setting during these days and with about half of the members living in the west (they do have their origin here in the south) this is also some kind of annual reunion for us all. And the only thing we need to think of is having lots of fun together :mrgreen:

·
Registered
708 Posts

Merlot 8* piece.
Rico Select Jazz 3M.

Fibracell 3.5.

Nick.

You're quick! Love both takes, very nice sound. Baritone is such a cool instrument, getting some GAS again... But don't really have space for it.

Is there any way you can share the backing track?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Nick, thanks for kicking off. Two takes within 5 hours after I posted the TOTM, I think you've set a new record:)

Let's go tenor first.
Great take and very enjoyable to listen too. It's all going very fluent, nice interpretation over the melody and really nice lines over the improvisation. I kept hearing the melody and lyrics through the improv without you really playing it. So you kept it very good in the form and soundstructure wich I like very much with a ballad. You went through the changes with ease, I felt like this was not the first time for you playing it. Really smooth. Picking up the bridge was realy great with some very interesting lines. The whole song you managed to keep the listener paying attention to it. Very well done.
And what a fantastic sound you get with the Super and the Merlot, especially for this type of music. And that's with listening with my laptopspeakers now.

And the bari.
Same as above but maybe just slightly less fluent compared to the tenor. But again nice lines, the melody was there and layed down nice in the improv too. And what I liked is that the two versions were different. I have a tendency to staying close to what I first did (mosly because I don't really have a vocabulary of licks etc at hand). I like your choice of notes with some interesting lines on both takes and the way you went through the changes. Thank you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're quick! Love both takes, very nice sound. Baritone is such a cool instrument, getting some GAS again... But don't really have space for it.

Is there any way you can share the backing track?
Hi malteof, I do have the Aebersold backing now, but not the sheets in Bb en Eb. I have just added the track to the shared folder. Have fun with it and don't forget to post:mrgreen:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi malteof, I do have the Aebersold backing now, but not the sheets in Bb en Eb. I have just added the track to the shared folder. Have fun with it and don't forget to post:mrgreen:
I obviously don't condone pirating, and I've ordered the Aebersold vol 46 from Amazon, but a quick Google for
Code:
aebersold prisoner of love filetype:pdf
gives a pdf with the concert key sheet music. One can always practice transposing!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very, very nice and impressing, B Flat!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm searching for my jazz-tenor sound and trying to achieve more control down low - so this is the ideal tune for me!
This is with a robusto 7 and a classical rico reserve 3 reed, which worked best until now. But I didn't really make my homework regarding reeds on this new mouthpiece yet.

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/prisoner-of-love

·
Registered
907 Posts

Merlot 8* piece.
Rico Select Jazz 3M.

Fibracell 3.5.

Nick.

I'm not that fast anymore, or at least recently :) very good work, both, tenor and the baritone too.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thank you all for listening and for your encouraging words!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Taragot and Francisco for the recordings and the nice job you both did on it. I have only managed to get a quick listen right now, 6 hours of sleep and I have to be back downtown in an hour.

@Taragot, I also had a quick listen again to one of your older takes on the Marmaduke and I definately like your tenorsound on the Robusto more. The sound is fuller an more even across the octaves. Here and there a little glitch but that has probably more to do with finding the right reed to get you more comfortable with the mpc. Nice take overall and hope to hear some more.

@Francisco, nice take, there seems to be alot improvement in your sound and playing. Your tuning when playing a note slowly getting softer, is also improved. You made the song even slower and there was a more relaxed feeling to your playing. Very well done and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I spent most of Sunday afternoon playing through this tune, and came up with two versions to share. I think I did best on Clarinet, but since this is Sax on the web I thought I'd better share the Tenor version as well!

Clarinet: https://soundcloud.com/user-136601588/prisoner-of-love-clarinet

Tenor: https://soundcloud.com/user-136601588/prisoner-of-love-tenor (Tenor)
Beautiful tone on both! Great recordings. One small note which may be a bit subjective, I feel like you're going for a bit of a "lazy" feel hitting the notes sometimes slightly delayed (if that makes sense) but I think it'd sound better if it were tighter.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
58 Posts
@B Flat You sound great on both tenor and bari. I slightly preferred it on tenor - really nice relaxed feel and your sound suits this song perfectly.

@Taragot Very enjoyable. I liked some of the little scoops and inflections you put in :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Beautiful tone on both! Great recordings. One small note which may be a bit subjective, I feel like you're going for a bit of a "lazy" feel hitting the notes sometimes slightly delayed (if that makes sense) but I think it'd sound better if it were tighter.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Listening to myself again now I can hear what you mean about the timing!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts