Sax on the Web Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
We need a new host for July, so please let me know through this thread or by pm if you're interested to host our next month B&I TOTM.
Gentle reminder. :)

Anyone interested?

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok, so I said I would post a recording this month despite my reluctance because of the really nice playing that gets posted on the these Beginning and Intermediate ToTM threads. It occurs to me that rather than a recalibration my levels of what a “beginner” or “intermediate” player is, what I really need to to do is recognize that “beginner” doesn’t mean “lousy”.

Having said that, this month’s endeavor has shown that after starting to learn saxophone ten years ago and playing for a few years, laying off for a few years to get desperate enough to make some lifestyle changes and now coming back to play in earnest and just having a blast… I am still such a rank beginner. Ok, possibly lousy… but ah, what the heck.

Listen to the recording I am posting and you understand that this is not just some sort of false modesty. Shoo whee is it a stinker. But I learned so much in committing to post a recording. I finally figured out how to blend a soundtrack into my Zoom H6 along with trying to another mic along with the stereo mic that comes with it. And then mix it down in Audacity, and then add too much reverb. This required finding SD cards that were compatible with the Zoom and my older MacBook, resetting up my practice room, much wincing upon hearing a few of my tries, etc.

My tone sounds like something between a mellophone and a bleating goat lost in the fog, the intonation is off, the palm keys notes are pinched horribly (really horribly!), the notes in general come more or less randomly, the tonguing is harsh— it goes on and on. For like 7 minutes and 15 seconds, no less. But it was fun and was sure instructive and productive in many ways. I’m going to practice with headphones into a mic more often for one thing.

I ran across this video about halfway through the month and it convinced me to follow through and post something on this thread: https://www.ted.com/talks/simone_giertz_why_you_should_make_useless_things

So maybe this recordings is useless, maybe my pursuit of music is a useless endeavor, but if nothing else here is something to set the bar so low that other players that blur the line between beginner and lousy can feel a little better about floundering along and having fun as well.

*takes a breath*

ok, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-372629349/sunny-kil-6-29-18

·
Registered
459 Posts
The recording most definitely is not useless! I think you're being overly harsh on yourself, which is fine: I do it all the time. Objective listening of your own music is one of the hardest things that you can do.

First off: glad you had fun! There's no point playing music if you don't enjoy it. Second by having a recording you can now benchmark improvement. I would suggest picking one of the things that you're unhappy with, but only one for the moment, and go away and spend some time working on that aspect. Then do another recording, and pat yourself on the back when you realise how much you'll have improved! And I guarantee you will have improved, just because you'll be aware of the aspect of your playing you don't like and be actively making a conscious effort to correct it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for comments Mrblackbat! Yes, recordings are brutally honest and revel so much difference between what I am hearing in my head and what is actually being produced. So much harder to sound pretty than when just blasting my fool head off with a blues/rock band. (Although simple recordings we make of our jams are also very revealing of stuff we all have to work on, my blasting included!)

Per your suggestion to focus on one aspect, I'm going to do some core/embouchure long tones work and get those palm notes and the others cleaned up and solid.

Really great listening to all of the other submissions! Of course Stanley Turrentine is sublime, but our members also really have some just great tones and ideas. Having tried it myself, my listening skills are so much more appreciative-- yet another great reason to join in the fun!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
@claxton, I'm glad you come up with a take. Not useless at all. You have the hardware in place now and made a good start with mixing and recording. Lot too learn, but you're on your way (Rome wasn't build in one day either!). You have a nice and mellow tone and played the theme well. Solo not to bad either, but try to leave a bit more space at places and to make some variation in the length of your sax runs. Good take and hope to be witness of your growing process here in the TOTM threads. Don't mind about your level (you are an advanced beginner in my ears), it's here on SOTW about learning and having fun.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
With the end of the month almost there I would like to give a big thanks to Keith for picking and hosting this thread. Also thanks to all contenders, we need that to keep this TOTM stuff alive!

The host for July with post the new thread soon.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,426 Posts
Ok, so I said I would post a recording this month despite my reluctance because of the really nice playing that gets posted on the these Beginning and Intermediate ToTM threads. It occurs to me that rather than a recalibration my levels of what a “beginner” or “intermediate” player is, what I really need to to do is recognize that “beginner” doesn’t mean “lousy”.

Having said that, this month’s endeavor has shown that after starting to learn saxophone ten years ago and playing for a few years, laying off for a few years to get desperate enough to make some lifestyle changes and now coming back to play in earnest and just having a blast… I am still such a rank beginner. Ok, possibly lousy… but ah, what the heck.

Listen to the recording I am posting and you understand that this is not just some sort of false modesty. Shoo whee is it a stinker. But I learned so much in committing to post a recording. I finally figured out how to blend a soundtrack into my Zoom H6 along with trying to another mic along with the stereo mic that comes with it. And then mix it down in Audacity, and then add too much reverb. This required finding SD cards that were compatible with the Zoom and my older MacBook, resetting up my practice room, much wincing upon hearing a few of my tries, etc.

My tone sounds like something between a mellophone and a bleating goat lost in the fog, the intonation is off, the palm keys notes are pinched horribly (really horribly!), the notes in general come more or less randomly, the tonguing is harsh— it goes on and on. For like 7 minutes and 15 seconds, no less. But it was fun and was sure instructive and productive in many ways. I’m going to practice with headphones into a mic more often for one thing.

I ran across this video about halfway through the month and it convinced me to follow through and post something on this thread: https://www.ted.com/talks/simone_giertz_why_you_should_make_useless_things

So maybe this recordings is useless, maybe my pursuit of music is a useless endeavor, but if nothing else here is something to set the bar so low that other players that blur the line between beginner and lousy can feel a little better about floundering along and having fun as well.

*takes a breath*

ok, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-372629349/sunny-kil-6-29-18
Not bad at all. Before you get all wrapped up in how good you are you always need to ask yourself compared to what? If you are comparing your self to someone you hear you need to be aware that they might have put in 1000s of hours of more practice than you, taken private lessons, gone to school, whatever. The only person worth comparing yourself to is yourself. IF you sound today like you sounded a year ago than getting better probably isn't your focus so why worry about it. If you sound only a little better than a year ago and are putting in alot of work you might want to check to see if you actually are practicing or just killing time. so I won't comment on whats good about this recording (lots) because It doesn't matter what I think if you already think you suck? Please follow my basic rule. Either have fun, learn something or get paid to do this If you don't fall into any of those categories please go find something you like to do. I thought your take was good. But once again it doesn't matter what I think, I don't have to live inside your self assessments. So I hope you do work on whatever you want better and more importantly enjoy today. I wish I played alot better but I don't so I enjoy the little bit I get better today. Thanks for posting despite your self assessment. K

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for your advice Keith, it is well taken. In writing my post I was sort of talking myself through some the flawed thinking of comparing myself to others, and my fears of what others might think of my playing. I did try to remind myself that I am indeed having so much fun playing, and that the fun is more important. In sharing the TED talk video to make the point that it is the trying and having fun doing so that is more important than the end result.

Your point that my overly critical assessment of my playing shows that I still have much work to do it that mental aspect. Even after playing in rock and blues bands for a couple of years now I get nervous about blowing a solo and have to think "well, if you're going to suck, suck loud". :)

But the main thing is that I did post it! And I feel pretty good about the fact that I overcame all of those negative emotions and did it, warts and all. Thanks for hosting the TOTM, taking the time to give it a listen and for your thoughts!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,426 Posts
I'm glad you did. I took a couple of lessons from Steve Neff years ago and when he taught me I thought Hey I'm almost as good as him. Now 5 years and 4000 hours of playing and gigs later I think a whole lot less of my playing and more of Steve Neffs and others here on the web. Its easy to have an opinion on something and much harder to demonstrate mastery of something. So we are all just working to get a little better every day. Keep posting K

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
https://app.box.com/s/rlujqz335zprmwxaex7360xafdtjojij

I looked back at some of the TOTM’s that I’ve missed since I’ve been AWOL from SOTW and I noticed this great tune and felt a try at it would be good for me.....I used the Joey Defrancesco Aebersold version which goes into that slightly annoying 70’s disco feel but it’s the only version I’ve got so it will have to do and in using it I tried to ignore the implied feel and just play it as laid back as I can get....how laid back that is I’m not sure...you can judge that....anyway I’m in at Uni today waiting on students and its still quite early (I normally get in around 5am to get a head start on the day and I try to practice what I preach....) Thanks for listening if you have time. Alex

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The TOTM threads always stay open for new submissions Alex, so good you joined. :)

The backing is indeed a bit cheesy, but your sax playing rokcs (as always). Especially like the lick around 3:44.

Thanks for sharing!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts