Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keith Ridenhour will host this month B&I TOTM and provided all backings and scores to me. I'm just assisting posting this thread.

The B&I TOTM for June 2018 will be: Sunny.

Keith provided all information in the original key of E minor (concert key), which is F# minor for Bb instruments and C# minor for Eb instruments.

This is the analyses text Keith asked me to share with you:
You can get by with the C# blues scale on alto or the F#blues scale on tenor for most of the songs. (I recorded it in the original Key) It really has the same 4 bar repeated pattern for 3/4 of the song. Then you do have to make sure and hit the V7 in the Bridge that is "out".

The song is not as tough changes as most tunes so try to focus on the melody initially and then go into lines/motifs etc but try if you can reference the melody once in a while and Id challenge you to do a solo that builds over 3 or 4 choruses, so don't play your third chorus on your first go around , save it.

Also myself included most soloists play not stop without brakes in the lines, time for the listener to keep up. So I encourage you to add more down time to your solo. Also, you can get away with the minor pentatonic and minor blues scale in the parent key but if you land on chord tones on strong beats your solo will sound more melodic.

Have fund guys and gals I'm excited to hear your take on this song.
Ksaxman.com
Here you can find the scores for Bb and Eb instruments, two backings and an example recording, all provided and created by Keith:
https://app.box.com/s/3opxa9y4mhru09d63r1kvzrs0l6ycbsi

I also found 'Sunny' in Realbook 3, but in A minor (concert key), which is B minor for Bb instruments and F# minor for Eb instruments.
Many backings can be found on YouTube, for those who also want to try the song in this key.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sunny+backing+track

I would like to thank Keith for the preparation of the scores and backings and am looking forward to many postings. :)

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Great song for B&I-TOTM!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
I found that i Youtube and share :)

Stanleys tone is killing and his inflections are so right on. You can tell he spent much time listening to the Bobby Hebb recording. Also, when I perform this song at one of the 4 convalescent hospitals I do weekly if I have a live back up I'll keep going up a half step each chorus to force me to stay awake. Stanleys solo is So Great. he puts chops in but you don't feel like its an exercise. You can clearly hear all the changes. Thats the goal K

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sunny (Am) :faceinpalm:
Rosedale TS-500G; Zinner 62B; Vandoren jZZ 2.5
https://soundcloud.com/user2929757/sunny-3
You're sounding great these days Francisco ! Quite soulful. :)

he puts chops in but you don't feel like its an exercise. You can clearly hear all the changes. Thats the goal K
So this is exactly what you're talking about ... and what not to do :evil:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13735727

Running up and down the minor pentatonic ... landing wherever ... ugh :evil:

I need to :

- get a better backing track with more feeling
- pace myself and phrase better
- practice more (30 minutes on this tune and it shows)
- needs to sound a lot more like jazz

I knew what I was in for - it sounds the same when I play Sugar.
The simpler the structure the worse it is - that soulful blues phrasing is always just out of reach, it's ultra frustrating !! :mrgreen:

·
5,387 Posts
Thanks guys for trying the song. I'm always reminded of something in a Steve Coleman interview that he said. He said he hesitates to comment on what other artists do because he doesn't know what their goal/mission is. That probably is great advise. So, heres what I tried to do when I recorded it. 1) I wanted to get the vocal aspect of the song. and Its an odd song in that with a title like sunny you'd think it would be major? But it has kind of a melancholy aspect to it in my ears. 2) I always record with a tuner on the stand so i'm careful of pitch even if I can't hear myself clearly (you'd be amazed what you can't hear when you record) 3. as far as tone quality goes, theres days when I like myself and days when I don't and cant find what I'm looking for. So I do do a long tone warmup before I do anything else. Actually for that matter I always play at least an hour before I gig/play out/do anything. Just me. I know people who don't warm up before gigs and I can sometimes hear that. . 4] I always go for chord tones first and foremost. So its fine to run scales (which I do) but the chord tones are the foundation of any house you care to build IMO. 5.)A tune like this where you don't have tons of changes really highlights the ability to add inflections to your lines. I"ve been working on this for months now, I"ve lately been copying Alicia Keys and would die for some of her ability to bend a note. 6) If you plan on playing more that one chorus its not a bad idea to think about what you are going to build. I recorded low and slow and then built up the intensity over a few choruses in my solo. 7) Space Space Space. I really try hard to not play too much and I seem to fail at that. I've been on a few recordings where they do a few takes, then say thanks, we'll take your solo, cut out half of it and it will sound great?
so to get back to my original statement. I'd advise us all to look at Sunny or any song not as how good or bad it in in the grand universe but did we or did we not do what we wanted to do. So, if I wanted to leave space , did I? If I wanted to put some new inflections in my lines did I? If I wanted to have my lines hit chord tones on strong beats , did I? so record whatever you want and just be aware that we all are learning and getting better and unless you are getting paid to do all this (I don't think anybody is) have fun. Thats my motto, either I am learning, earning or having fun. So , nice job guys. Heres the biggest thing I"d try and get across as a teacher myself. Pick ONE THING you want to improve at a time and be happy if you change that. Its a big trap to think everything will magically improve. So im my case, I was extremely happy with my recording because we recorded it from start to finish with no cut ins or outs and I was just trying to play it and not screw it up. Theres things I hear I'd change but at the time it was a big win. Onward, lets hear some more. K

·
5,387 Posts
Hey Everybody, dont' be afraid to try this song. We are here to learn and have fun. The head isn't hard, I'd just listen to the Bobby Hebb version on you tube and copy the way he singes it. As far as soloing you can almost get by with just the minor pent 1 b3, 4, 5 and b7 so its easier than you might think K

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts

I need to :

The simpler the structure the worse it is - that soulful blues phrasing is always just out of reach, it's ultra frustrating !! :mrgreen:
Thank you Brendan, I'm really glad you liked it. Yours it's very good, well done.

·
5,387 Posts

·
5,387 Posts

·
5,387 Posts

I need to :

Its so refreshing to hear a bari solo for me. You are very well thought out in your lines. You do a good job of matching chops to not running lines all the time. I was struck with your version , just like the others I've heard with how different you all interpret the melody. I think its wonderful. I've played this song 100s of time at my convalescent hospital gigs and fallen in to some ruts and all you guys are giving me ideas on things to add. K

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ok, I really like this tune and I think I 'm going to make a serious run at laying something down for this one. When I've listened to previous TOTM submissions in the past I've had to recalibrate my scale of what a "beginning and intermediate" player is; they all seem so good. So I am a bit reluctant. However, the worst that can happen is that I lower the bar enough that others who may have been shy about posting theirs can say "well, at least I'm not nearly so bad as that Claxton guy, what the hell."

When coming up with something, I really would like to try just listening to the Bobby Heeb version without listening to other members or to masters like Stanley Turrentine- just so I can feel it without worrying that I'm just copying their approach. On the other hand, I'll miss out on so much inspiration and guidance from listening. What are others' thoughts on this (especially yours, Keith)? Maybe I'll just try it both ways...

·
Registered
48 Posts
At times your vibrato seemed too wide
It's definitely too wide. I don't know if it's because I've switched to softer reeds or if I picked up some bad habits over the years.

·
5,387 Posts
Ok, I really like this tune and I think I 'm going to make a serious run at laying something down for this one. When I've listened to previous TOTM submissions in the past I've had to recalibrate my scale of what a "beginning and intermediate" player is; they all seem so good. So I am a bit reluctant. However, the worst that can happen is that I lower the bar enough that others who may have been shy about posting theirs can say "well, at least I'm not nearly so bad as that Claxton guy, what the hell."

When coming up with something, I really would like to try just listening to the Bobby Heeb version without listening to other members or to masters like Stanley Turrentine- just so I can feel it without worrying that I'm just copying their approach. On the other hand, I'll miss out on so much inspiration and guidance from listening. What are others' thoughts on this (especially yours, Keith)? Maybe I'll just try it both ways...
This is all for fun. You aren't getting paid to do this and we are all on our own learning paths. I think that your idea to make up your own version before you copy people is a great idea. Everybody starts somewhere and then we refine based on what we like or notice. I was playing sunny today at a Con job and I was trying to remember the ways you guys were playing the tune. Im kind of bored with what I'm doing. So by all means put you version down and have fun. K

·
5,387 Posts
It's definitely too wide. I don't know if it's because I've switched to softer reeds or if I picked up some bad habits over the years.
But in all honesty after you did it a few times I thought that might be a stylistic thing he wants to do to set himself aside from other players. So I started enjoying that. Vibrato is so personal and really more a part of your /our voice than many realize. Both Sanborn and Alicia Keys (people I copy) have that narrow buzz vibrato almost always going on. Is it bad or just their voice?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I did a really fast blow through of this one because it's an old favorite.

https://soundcloud.com/seanwintersax/sunny

Not a perfect score. Little finger slip in the middle. Couple of spots where I got too close to the mic and it clips a bit. But I think it sounds good enough to post.

Nice versions so far. I'll post my impressions after I've gotten through them a few times.

·
5,387 Posts
I was smiling. Love your alt and lines. Like I said I've played this so many times it refreshing to hear others phrase. You have some real nice double time licks. K
I did a really fast blow through of this one because it's an old favorite.

https://soundcloud.com/seanwintersax/sunny

Not a perfect score. Little finger slip in the middle. Couple of spots where I got too close to the mic and it clips a bit. But I think it sounds good enough to post.

Nice versions so far. I'll post my impressions after I've gotten through them a few times.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts