Registered
709 Posts
Quick and dirty, playing my new Rampone & Cazzani Performance

ciao

Reactions: J-Moen

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks DrWill. If I can help in any way regarding the improv in this please do let me know. Kind regards. Alex
Perhaps you can provide some insight into how you came up with this FANTASTIC solo. Two things about it are killin (IMO), first is the lyricism, the strong lines that seem to convey some emotional content, it's hard to say what I mean, but it is the opposite of shredding (*and it seems to me most of the modern tenors whom I don't listen to too much are exclusively shredders. this perception on my part may be because I just can't hear what they're playing), I'm going to skip the lyrical examples in your solo, anyone can hear them. The other thing is the weird notes ... in particular the #4/b5 appearing here there and everywhere:
example 1 ... bar 7 - chord is Bm7, note is a ghosted F, just a hint of things to come - here it is a strong color note ... dark and foreboding .... surprising ...
2 ... bar 18 - 2nd measure in Cmaj7 section - the 16th note phrase with capitalized notes held longer - starting on g1 ending on F#2, geF#gbdf#Ag#gF# In this case the F#, i.e. #4/b5, is a target note. This is a standard feature of the solo, the use of #4/b5 as just another note in the middle of a phrase, and as a target note. This is surprising to me ....
3 ... there are several phrases like the previous one and this one, but this one takes the cake ... it's too fast for me to transcribe exactly, but I think I got the gist of it, 2nd time thru, bar 4 in first Bmaj7 section, leading to Cmaj7 -
starting on middle f#2 up to F3 ending on F#2 - f#fg#c#d#Fd#c#a#g#fc#F# with the F# being the target note for the start of the Cmaj7 section ! Cool !
My guess - you're playing the Cmaj7 as and Em7 and then the F# is just a 9, same for the Bmaj7.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Perhaps you can provide some insight into how you came up with this FANTASTIC solo. Two things about it are killin (IMO), first is the lyricism, the strong lines that seem to convey some emotional content, it's hard to say what I mean, but it is the opposite of shredding (*and it seems to me most of the modern tenors whom I don't listen to too much are exclusively shredders. this perception on my part may be because I just can't hear what they're playing), I'm going to skip the lyrical examples in your solo, anyone can hear them. The other thing is the weird notes ... in particular the #4/b5 appearing here there and everywhere:
example 1 ... bar 7 - chord is Bm7, note is a ghosted F, just a hint of things to come - here it is a strong color note ... dark and foreboding .... surprising ...
2 ... bar 18 - 2nd measure in Cmaj7 section - the 16th note phrase with capitalized notes held longer - starting on g1 ending on F#2, geF#gbdf#Ag#gF# In this case the F#, i.e. #4/b5, is a target note. This is a standard feature of the solo, the use of #4/b5 as just another note in the middle of a phrase, and as a target note. This is surprising to me ....
3 ... there are several phrases like the previous one and this one, but this one takes the cake ... it's too fast for me to transcribe exactly, but I think I got the gist of it, 2nd time thru, bar 4 in first Bmaj7 section, leading to Cmaj7 -
starting on middle f#2 up to F3 ending on F#2 - f#fg#c#d#Fd#c#a#g#fc#F# with the F# being the target note for the start of the Cmaj7 section ! Cool !
My guess - you're playing the Cmaj7 as and Em7 and then the F# is just a 9, same for the Bmaj7.
Thanks Dr Will. I can’t honestly say why this solo is the way it is. That’s not a glib remark but how a solo develops from the first to the last is never planned out in my mind. It’s a reaction from one note to the next. Couple that with my harmonic knowledge which is nowhere near as developed as some. I’m self taught. I had a couple of lessons when I started out but the teacher said to me on my 4th lesson that if he showed me the fingering for the A3 (which I’d asked him to do as I couldn’t work it out) I’d know as much as he did. Thus began my lifelong self learning process. I do try to think along melodic lines rather than as you say shred. I hold Desmond as a shining example of a player who never failed to captivate the listener and as far as I’m aware never shredded either. Your analysis of parts of my solo certainly point the way in terms of how I was hearing things. Of course the Maj7 chord with the #4 is standard jazz language although I like to imply colours as you say. The F# maj arpeggio over an Emaj7 sounds nice and leads to other colourisation. But as I said I don’t necessarily pre-plan these things. They happen. And often they don’t. Thank you so much for listening and spending time working on this. I hope we can hear more from you playing too. Kind regards. Alex

·
Registered
772 Posts
a surprisingly addictive tune, which is taking me a bit of time to work out how to approach (especially after Alex's take :) ) It's also a tune that is probably better suited to a live setting where players can react to each other rather than a play along.

having said that some really nice and different takes. Hope to get a version up soon, but have found that I am rhythmically restricted and struggling to break out of it..

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
As we are nearing the end of the month of July, I am again seeking hosts for the upcoming August TOTM and B&I TOTM.

Please shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'm happy to accomodate anyone who wants to host but may not have the backing tracks or sheet music!

This has been a very fun month and I've really enjoyed all the variety of takes. I know I owe quite a few more people some responses, and I'll get those out this soon! I've got one more surprise Video take I've been planning that hopefully everyone will enjoy! And as always, hoping for more takes, and looking forward to hearing each and every one!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Thread for my video since it features my Daughter who decided she wanted to be in my video ;) Hope you all enjoy, we had fun (mostly)!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quick and dirty, playing my new Rampone & Cazzani Performance

ciao
Massive sound coming out guido! That new horn sounds wonderful, and it really looks beautiful in the video! Love that dark gold lacquer appearance! Really seems you got right into the pocket on this tune for such a quick take! Interesting and well played motifs really kept the solo interesting and entertaining! Awesome work!

OK - after quite a few I'm not going to make much more progress..

https://soundcloud.com/madav%2Flittle-sunflower-hibiki9-add2h
all comments, criticisms suggestions welcome for those who have the time for it :)
Wonderful playing Madav! Love the sound you're getting on that Hibiki - really enjoyed the one I had in a 7 tip. Yours is just as velvety as I remember. Awesome playing throughout - love your development of the melody and the way you use it throughout your solo. All around superb playing and extremely interesting, Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Before I miss out the second month of TOTM (feeling guilty, too many things came in my way ...) a one shot recording on my new sopranino sax with my brand new pillinger mouthpiece (I plan to do a quick review next weeks)

We had a few outdoor gigs with my hobby sax quintet were the sopranino came in very handy. I was not sure if it's kind of pointless to play a Bossa in the low register on it - but with a bit reverb I like the result ;)
Best wishes to everyone!
Dirk

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Couldn't let this one pass, but then life blew up in my face. May try to record one with a bassist (duet) tonight. Hate to see summer go, but I'll be glad when I'm done with Invisalign! (September) Lip is worthless.

Little Sunflower
Absolutely wonderful Tone and richness to your sound, with a slight Coltrane-esque tinge (but better IMO :)). Tons of great purpose and inflection in your playing, really love your approach to this tune too. Beautiful use of space and a superb melodic playing on top of it. Just an all around amazing take! On top of all that, I'm sure those invisaligns are a pain with playing! Stellar Bayview!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Before I miss out the second month of TOTM (feeling guilty, too many things came in my way ...) a one shot recording on my new sopranino sax with my brand new pillinger mouthpiece (I plan to do a quick review next weeks)

We had a few outdoor gigs with my hobby sax quintet were the sopranino came in very handy. I was not sure if it's kind of pointless to play a Bossa in the low register on it - but with a bit reverb I like the result ;)
Best wishes to everyone!
Dirk
Even the Little guy gets to join in on the fun. Sopranino is sounding VERY full which I imagine is one heck of a task to keep those chops up to par! Clean tone, but holds a great full core and a rich darker sound (I assume this horn tries to pull to the bright side, so this is extremely impressive). Your soloing was absolutely stellar - felt super at home and tons of great phrases all tied together. Just sounds amazingly professional. Maybe a bit much reverb though :).

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To add - Still seeking a host for our August TOTM and B&I TOTM. Please shoot me a PM if you're interested!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Taragot will fill the duties for the upcoming B&I TOTM! Looking forward to a great month and hoping to hear more takes as we come to the end of July!

Still seeking a main TOTM host for August!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Massive sound coming out guido! That new horn sounds wonderful, and it really looks beautiful in the video! Love that dark gold lacquer appearance! Really seems you got right into the pocket on this tune for such a quick take! Interesting and well played motifs really kept the solo interesting and entertaining! Awesome work!

Wonderful playing Madav! Love the sound you're getting on that Hibiki - really enjoyed the one I had in a 7 tip. Yours is just as velvety as I remember. Awesome playing throughout - love your development of the melody and the way you use it throughout your solo. All around superb playing and extremely interesting, Thanks for sharing!
thanks Jarred - interesting that you tried the Hibiki - what did you move on to and maybe why?!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thanks Jarred - interesting that you tried the Hibiki - what did you move on to and maybe why?!
Last year I acquired one and loved it for a few months, but then I stumbled upon a Otto Link Florida No USA 7 that was amazing, really a dream piece of mine. I played that for quite a while, until I acquired the 10mfan Celebration, which was everything I was getting from the link and more. But I still think of the Hibiki from time to time - miss that velvety quality, which I don't hear in my link/10mfan piece - but I can hear a little in my Dukoff Hollywood/Phil-Tone Mosaic LTD.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts