Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing back a tune that was called just over 10 years ago - for this July, I'm hoping we can all come together and enjoy some "Little Sunflower"! This should be a nice easy venture into a great beautiful modal jazz tune, by the great Freddie Hubbard! It's such a great melody, and being modal makes it fairly simple for memorizing scales/chords!

Here's a couple version's I've found that I really enjoy:

Freddie Hubbard's Original:

Everette Harp on Tenor Sax:

Christian McBride providing some beautiful changes (strings/bow?!) to what you would expect here:

And my personal favorite - Freddie and young Kenny Garrett:

There's some great variety out there, and plenty more takes to listen too! Should make for another great month filled with many great takes, as this one screams to have a variety of different versions from our wonderful variety of players!

Here is a link to the Eb/Bb sheets, alongside 4 backings I liked a lot, but there are tons out there on youtube!

Hope you all enjoy this pick! Looking forward to hearing from you all!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, I have an off-the-shelf version from a couple of years ago when I had the crazy idea that starting with the flute would be a great way of distracting from my deficiencies on the sax, little did I know....
Thanks for kicking things off for July! Normally as host, I'd have rushed a version out, but Dad-ing took over last night and I didn't even get a chance to touch my horn, or record my finale for Milestones.

You've got a superb tone here - really a lovely full sound! Your melody was sublime, and your solo was extremely pleasing as well! You tell a great story! The flute sounds great as well! Nice little combo you set up here! All around a great take and start to the month!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
I’ve always been a Freddy Hubbard fan. Got to see him live in a small intimate setting many moons ago.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve always been a Freddy Hubbard fan. Got to see him live in a small intimate setting many moons ago.
I love his writing - always found his songs to be very unique and interesting to me. This one is beautiful! It is a great chance for you to come show us your Hubbard passion with a take! :)

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
Heh nobody wants to hear my sad excuse for honking.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found out that my writing out of the lead sheets lead to an error! I have uploaded the corrected versions for everyone - just be sure to redownload (or adjust, it was just one note that was a step down)

·
Registered
346 Posts
My bluetooth headphones insisted I recharge it in the middle of that, I only heard the first half. "Intermediate players"? How long have you been playing, @sax1st? Very nice things on your soundcloud!

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
My bluetooth headphones insisted I recharge it in the middle of that, I only heard the first half. "Intermediate players"? How long have you been playing, @sax1st? Very nice things on your soundcloud!
Hi Randulo. I’m not a beginner but guys have been cross posting between B/I and the Advanced for quite some time with the blessing of the moderators. The thing is if you like the chosen tune upload your version as I have done along with many others. Little Sunflower is not such an easy set of changes to negotiate and would fit just as easily into the advanced threads as the B/I. Thanks for listening. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Little Sunflower is not such an easy set of changes to negotiate and would fit just as easily into the advanced threads as the B/I.
Songs with one or two tonalities are hard to play, musically, so it's a challenge regardless. As I have been watching this part of SOTW, I didn't realize what you said about cross posting. Where I usually submit, there's one one post for each monthly choice. I look forward to hearing the rest of the tune when the battery is charged :)

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Songs with one or two tonalities are hard to play, musically, so it's a challenge regardless. As I have been watching this part of SOTW, I didn't realize what you said about cross posting. Where I usually submit, there's one one post for each monthly choice. I look forward to hearing the rest of the tune when the battery is charged :)
Excellent news. And thanks for listening again :cool:

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YDS-150, guitar, soprano and alto. I know the photo isn't a sunflower.
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Flittle-sunflower
This is excellent work! Sounds extremely professional and really, just a great tone of all the combined instruments! The YDS does seem to be making some great sounds for you these days! Your alto tone was extremely clear and very well suited to the tune. Soprano had a soft velvety tone, which I've always found extremely hard to wrangle - so thats impressive all around! I felt you had a very melodic approach to this tunes solo - as it should be! You really let a great story out and I'm glad to have heard it! Thanks for sharing!

Here’s my short take.
Alto with and without FX.
Love the pace you chose on this one Alex! The track is another gem you've uncovered! Seriously love the vibe of this whole track, the effects perfectly melding into the backing and your stellar alto sound shining through! Beautiful!

·
Registered
346 Posts
@J-Moen thanks for listening. After I listened the next day, I heard the piano was way too high in the mix. While I was mixing, I felt the guitar was out of place and decided to rerecord using only alto. I am liking soprano a lot these days and am about to get a new one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,827 Posts
This mainly exists as a self-check on where my non-existent soprano chops are.

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This mainly exists as a self-check on where my non-existent soprano chops are.

Doesn't sound like non-existent chops to me, you've definitely got a more reedy soprano sound that has a great control, tone and core. It's quite lovely! I really enjoyed your slow melodic start, and slowly amping up the speed. It made for a great listen! Awesome playing Jason!

·
TOTM administrator
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here’s my short take.
Alto with and without FX.
I must say this is a fantastic version ! Beautiful ! I'm studying it, and some of the lines are just extraordinarily good ! Hope I can pick up a few licks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts