Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

· Registered
1,244 Posts
@J-Moen Thank you Jared for commenting, very nice TOTM, you are asking me something.
For the drums it comes from a video, I put the link at the end of mine. I just played like this. I'm used to playing this way, I even played a gig with a drummer.
I had the idea one day I was watching a video from Joe Morello, he said a bass drum could emulate a bass line. So now I imagine the bass drum plays a bass line and it works since the bass drum can play any note because it just sounds like "boom".

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
@J-Moen Thank you Jared for commenting, very nice TOTM, you are asking me something.
For the drums it comes from a video, I put the link at the end of mine. I just played like this. I'm used to playing this way, I even played a gig with a drummer.
I had the idea one day I was watching a video from Joe Morello, he said a bass drum could emulate a bass line. So now I imagine the bass drum plays a bass line and it works since the bass drum can play any note because it just sounds like "boom".
Really cool idea! I didn't pay enough attention with my eyes, just used my ears. But I thought you were playing the drums too haha. Really great idea though and fun to see!

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Really frustrating month. I've worked this one as hard as I've worked any, and it just seems to get worse. Keep tabling it. I'll try for one more take before the end of the month. Failing that, I'll sift through the swill and choose the best available.

Lionelsax - duet w/guitar. I like the simplicity of the two piece arrangement. The sparseness allows your tenor town to show through. The only thing absent is the interaction of the musicians, which can't be helped in this format. I felt like I lost the thread of the melody towards the end of the solo, but when the outchorus rolled around you were right there.

duet w/drums. I actually like this quite a bit. I've done a few sessions with just drums/sax (and even a live set of a 2-horn quartet where the bassist couldn't make the gig due to an injury). It's a LOT harder than people realize. Particularly when using a backing, the harmony and time fall squarely on YOU, and you pulled it off nicely. When you seemed unsure, you found the melody -- SMART!

Jammer Edition. One thing working against you here, man -- I loathe electric bass. #IAmADinosaur Loopers fascinate me. I've seen them used to great effect, but when I play around with them, I just seem to create a turdnado. At 2:00, I was waiting for you to come in with a horn section! :D You seems to have strong facility on guitar (is that your main axe?). Really appreciated the chord solo (second solo, as ID'd in the slide bar; also a neat idea). I've spent worse days during a snow storm.

Alex Nyman - nice intro. Had a very Charles Lloyd vibe to it, with a slight taste of Take the A Train showing through. Really beautiful rendition.

Humbardi - That unmistakeable Mark VII core.

ufosax - You worked into the improv nicely; a little quote, then off to it. Seems like you use the occasional quote to ground yourself before diving in again -- I like that. About 1:42, really working the low register nicely. You varying the rhythm nicely throughout. About 2:25 seemed like you went a bit outside of yourself for a bit -- a mistake I repeatedly find myself making (leave that zone to Charles McNeal! :D ) I like where the head went around 3:15. Glad you got in under the wire.

Sax Panther - Nice, full, warm tenor sound. Kudos to puling off this style. I can't negotiate the gypsy style to save my life. Your facility as you glide into the solo is admirable. Your time is spot on -- I'd find myself tripping over my tongue here, but you stayed right in that pocket. Nicely done.

madav - Man! You are NAILING Charlie Rouse's sound! It's a need idea to reserve the head for the end. I'm too chicken because, whatever else happens, if I've started there, you have a frame of reference to get back to. I was missing that while listening in a couple of spots. That said, you always managed to pull it back in and help us find where we were.

pontius - ooooooo! Shiny! Looking forward to hearing that mic in action!

· Registered
3,467 Posts
I am enjoying this thread. As a beginner, may I ask a naive question? Would I be correct in believing that most of you, if not all, are holding onto the melody in your head while improvising?
great question! I'll only speak for the gent who watches me shave, but I would say as a matter of course, with age, I have tried to consciously do that, yes. What I find is, when I struggle with a take, I'm NOT doing. In my head, I'm hearing a Dexter-ish 8th note attack, but on the playback, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. The "answer" always seems to be to look for the melody (or an adjacent phrase that feels similar).

· Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm amazed you can even hold the Bari after what you've been through recently! But to make it sound like that, seriously impressive. I really enjoyed your approach to the head, and of course your soloing is fantastic!

This track is so cool! Great choice on the Leonard. Also phenomenal job blending with the trumpet on there - I've never been able to match up with the players on these tracks that well! Love being along for a 'Sonny' walk :D. Great choice of licks, but maybe you're feeling Pent-Up in your House? :p Awesome!
Glad someone picked up on that. I heard it in there as I was doing a take before this and actually worked at it to get it in. I still hate where/how it sits, but finding a line like that is a zen gift and you don't fight it.

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Alright, man. This is it. Self-analysis, I get too damned gallopy with this background. I tried to force myself to break out of it, but I feel like I just keep bouncing off that stiff bassline. It is what it is. It's a two-tenor take.

10M Left Channel (Durga3 7*, Rico #3)
Mark VI Right Channel (RPC .120B, Rico #3)

All Of Mush

· Registered
3,787 Posts
Alright, man. This is it. Self-analysis, I get too damned gallopy with this background. I tried to force myself to break out of it, but I feel like I just keep bouncing off that stiff bassline. It is what it is. It's a two-tenor take.

All Of Mush
player wont play for me. shows up, but wont play

· Registered
1,244 Posts

All Of Mush
This Conn 10M sounds really really good, bright and accurate, I think you feel more comfortable on this sax, the Selmer sounds good but I feel it's a bit... How can I say ?... It reacts slowly compared to the Conn.
Both are good. The only thing I can say in you impro, sometimes it seems you play on one mode, so the chords cannot be heard properly.
You play good, great dynamics, articulation, it's in tune in all registers.
You quoted Take The A Train on the Mark VI... excellent !
I really enjoyed it !
Great stuff !

· Registered
3,467 Posts
This Conn 10M sounds really really good, bright and accurate, I think you feel more comfortable on this sax, the Selmer sounds good but I feel it's a bit... How can I say ?... It reacts slowly compared to the Conn.
Funny thing about that. I went on a mad search for a Mark VI about 15 years ago. Had a SerieIII that I just didn't love. Tried many Mark VIs, but got this one off eBay. Thought close to the holy grail, but still liked my Kings. Got a Silver Sonic and had it overhauled, but again, just didn't love it. I swapped it with Les Arbuckle for this 10M, which was his personal horn. Nobody that plays this horn does NOT fall in love with it. It's ridiculous. It plays itself. You can whisper, you can peel paint. Adding the Theo Wanne mouthpiece added a new layer of love. I have to force myself to play the VI these days. If I could do it all over again, I might never play a horn besides my first Zephyr -- be less heartbreak in it. ;)

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Funny thing about that. I went on a mad search for a Mark VI about 15 years ago. Had a SerieIII that I just didn't love. Tried many Mark VIs, but got this one off eBay. Thought close to the holy grail, but still liked my Kings. Got a Silver Sonic and had it overhauled, but again, just didn't love it. I swapped it with Les Arbuckle for this 10M, which was his personal horn. Nobody that plays this horn does NOT fall in love with it. It's ridiculous. It plays itself. You can whisper, you can peel paint. Adding the Theo Wanne mouthpiece added a new layer of love. I have to force myself to play the VI these days. If I could do it all over again, I might never play a horn besides my first Zephyr -- be less heartbreak in it. ;)
17 years ago, I was jamming, there was a guy who played an old tenor saxophone, from 1923, it was a Conn.
During the evening we exchanged our saxophones, I only played the alto (Yamaha YAS-23), when I played his tenor, everything came easy and it was a very light instrument, at first I didn't feel so comfortable because of my thumbs you may imagine why but after a few minutes, I felt like if it were my own instrument.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

All Of Mush
That's some tight sync with those two tenors! Gorgeous sound. Love when you started harmonizing. I concur with the 10m being your suitor :). Some great swingin' going on there and really some lovely playing on both horns!

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
And, I couldn't let this one go without singing it - i've been singing it all month, so really just recorded it this time :p. I also played some solo tenor sax in there. Hope you all enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fappall-of-me
Thanks again to everyone for such great participation in this standard. I thought this would be less active due to how often your hear rattled on about it being overplayed. Fantastic to hear so many great takes!

That said, if anyone would like to host for B&I TOTM for February, reach out and I'll be happy to get that set up with you!

· Registered
3,467 Posts
And, I couldn't let this one go without singing it - i've been singing it all month, so really just recorded it this time :p. I also played some solo tenor sax in there. Hope you all enjoy.

Thanks again to everyone for such great participation in this standard. I thought this would be less active due to how often your hear rattled on about it being overplayed. Fantastic to hear so many great takes!

That said, if anyone would like to host for B&I TOTM for February, reach out and I'll be happy to get that set up with you!
Nice, man! Even though I was one of those critical of the tune (but NOT the pick -- to be clear), I have to admit, I've really enjoyed getting to know this tune. I remember I tried singing a tune once... once. :D You fared much better than I. Most importantly, sounds you like you actually had a great time. Curious, did you record the vocals first? If so, did that help you to keep your improv more melodic? I find that if I focus on the lyrics, the improv tends to make more sense. One thing that drives me batty is hearing a tenor player take liberties on a head and accenting/holding-to-an-exagerrated-extent the word "the" because they don't know the lyrics. :D

This was certainly one of the most active tunes in terms of the TOTM in my recent memory (spotty as it may be).

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Nice, man! Even though I was one of those critical of the tune (but NOT the pick -- to be clear), I have to admit, I've really enjoyed getting to know this tune. I remember I tried singing a tune once... once. :D You fared much better than I. Most importantly, sounds you like you actually had a great time. Curious, did you record the vocals first? If so, did that help you to keep your improv more melodic? I find that if I focus on the lyrics, the improv tends to make more sense. One thing that drives me batty is hearing a tenor player take liberties on a head and accenting/holding-to-an-exagerrated-extent the word "the" because they don't know the lyrics. :D

This was certainly one of the most active tunes in terms of the TOTM in my recent memory (spotty as it may be).
Always fun to sing :) it's definitely something I enjoy, but not something I'd ever practice (as probably shows haha). So, I actually recorded the sax first. I attempted to record the vocals first, but deleted the first takes of both (I also tried to play some harmony on sax and failed). Then laid the sax line and then sang. But yeah I wanted to stay closer to the melody, which I've always thought worked better when playing with vocals.

· TOTM administrator
7,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·

· Registered
954 Posts

All Of Mush

An interesting comparison, they both sound good I think, I like the 'thicker' sound of the VI, but the Conn has an appealing directness and exuberance. I have to say that long ago I took the decision not to try a Conn - I have my VI and my Buffet, and I am not prepared to go through the whole process of comparing, reevaluating, finding Mpcs / reeds, possibly fingerings.. but it bugs me like hell that I haven't tried one :)

· Registered
954 Posts

Brave man ! nice :)

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.