Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all: Happy New year for all of you, hopefully with less Covid-19 related issues than 2020.

I also wish Jared all the best with moderating the TOTM threads. As most of you have >read< I've decided to stop as moderator here on SOTW and Jared happily accepted to take over the TOTM part. But I will still be around, as you see!

This month B&I TOTM will be "Willow Weep For Me".

Find here the Bb and Eb scores from Real Book 2 and two backings (one with 2 and one with 3 chorusses):

Some YouTube examples:

Arnett Cobb 70's:

Arnett Cobb 50's:

Ike Quebec:

Richie Cole (alto):

Have fun! :)

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,031 Posts
Thank you so much Peter! I'll get all of this indexed tomorrow, and take a listen to your take (busy night :))

I can't believe I've never tried to play this tune (or that it's never been called). Wonderful choice, I love this song and am very excited to try this tune out!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Let me be the first to post my own (old) version:
Happy New Year to you too Peter, and everyone else of course!

What a great choice for this month! I love the YouTube versions you have included. All amazing, and while different from each other, what they have in common is that each artist produces the most wondrous and individual tones from their horn and then gets down and dirty with this tune. Fantastic stuff! And may I add that I think that your version follows the same formula perfectly, a great tone and beautiful soulful playing - bravo! This month will be a really good challenge.

Bill

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy New Year to you too Peter, and everyone else of course!

What a great choice for this month! I love the YouTube versions you have included. All amazing, and while different from each other, what they have in common is that each artist produces the most wondrous and individual tones from their horn and then gets down and dirty with this tune. Fantastic stuff! And may I add that I think that your version follows the same formula perfectly, a great tone and beautiful soulful playing - bravo! This month will be a really good challenge.

Bill
Thanks Bill. :)

I think this tune is a bit easier for tenor in the presented key and the ones posted are in my preferred style, but I found some other very nice examples to.

Here a fantastic version by Joey Cavaseno, featured as lead alto in the Illinois Jacquet Big Band:

And one by the great Ben Webster (a bit more gentle compared to the previous tenor versions shared):

And one of the great Dutch pro player Boris van der Lek:

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a heads up,... the pdf sheets don't show up on box, at least for me.
Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Should be corrected now!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few years ago, I played this with the local community jazz band. I hope you all like the bari!

I was just searching for an example of this song on baritone sax, so good you did post your verison here!

You have a very strong and pearsing baritone sound, which I like on bari. I hear some Pepper Adams and Nick Brignola influences in your playing, which are two of my favourite bari players. Also a good band behind you, sounded like some experienced players behind you. The solo mic was a bit loud for my taste, but that's something you can't always control during a live concert!

Very nice rendation Topher, thanks for sharing. :)

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,031 Posts
Peter's wonderful choice has been added to the B&I TOTM index!

I went through and listened to your take this morning on my way in to work. Wonderful playing Peter, it has been very missed in these threads and so glad you could host this month! Your sound was wonderful on there, and your phrases were absolutely spectactular! I'll hope to be able to follow with a similar great take!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went through and listened to your take this morning on my way in to work. Wonderful playing Peter, it has been very missed in these threads and so glad you could host this month! Your sound was wonderful on there, and your phrases were absolutely spectactular! I'll hope to be able to follow with a similar great take!
Thanks Jared and looking forward to your take. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Let me be the first to post my own (old) version:

mrpeebee: Wow, what a huge sound you have. Perfect tune for that approach. Sounds great! Thanks, also, for all you have done on this site and the encouragement you gave to me on the totms. Have a safe & healthy New Year. You probably heard this version by Gene Ammons, but if not, enjoy the Jug.
George Hicswa

·
Registered
6 Posts
So one of my goals for this year. I will try to make a take for every beginners totm this year.
So this is the first one. One clarinet, ill try one on sax later this month. No comparison possible between my attempt and the superb examples here above but thats why it's a beginners take after all.... Still hope you enjoy listening. All the best for the new year!
Johan

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mrpeebee: Wow, what a huge sound you have. Perfect tune for that approach. Sounds great! Thanks, also, for all you have done on this site and the encouragement you gave to me on the totms. Have a safe & healthy New Year. You probably heard this version by Gene Ammons, but if not, enjoy the Jug.

George Hicswa
Thanks George, much appreciated. :)

And also thanks for sharing that great Gene Ammons version, another master who knows how to play this tune in a bluesy and tasteful way.

All the best to you too for 2021 and it would be very nice if you could share a take of yourself with us this month.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So one of my goals for this year. I will try to make a take for every beginners totm this year.
So this is the first one. One clarinet, ill try one on sax later this month. No comparison possible between my attempt and the superb examples here above but thats why it's a beginners take after all.... Still hope you enjoy listening. All the best for the new year!
Johan
First of all welcome to the B&I TOTM Johan and thanks for sharing your take. :)

Always good to see new faces coming along and also very nice that you shared a version on clarinet. You're for sure not a beginner in my ears, I can hear a very nice and warm clarinet sound, played by someone who knows his instrument. Also nice to hear your free interpretation and adventurous approach, makes me feel you have some experience with playing Dixieland.

Only small advice I could give you is to play the notes in bar 4 of the A section of the theme a bit more precise. You each time skipped the triplet in the second count of that bar and replaced it by A, G#, F# (if I hear it correctly), which just sounds not as nice as what's written (in my ears that is!).

Feel free to join the main TOTM threads too if you like. We don't have a big seperation between the two TOTM's here on SOTW anyhow.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all welcome to the B&I TOTM Johan and thanks for sharing your take. :)

Always good to see new faces coming along and also very nice that you shared a version on clarinet. You're for sure not a beginner in my ears, I can hear a very nice and warm clarinet sound, played by someone who knows his instrument. Also nice to hear your free interpretation and adventurous approach, makes me feel you have some experience with playing Dixieland.

Only small advice I could give you is to play the notes in bar 4 of the A section of the theme a bit more precise. You each time skipped the triplet in the second count of that bar and replaced it by A, G#, F# (if I hear it correctly), which just sounds not as nice as what's written (in my ears that is!).

Feel free to join the main TOTM threads too if you like. We don't have a big seperation between the two TOTM's here on SOTW anyhow.
Thanks mrpeebee for listening. You are right about bar 4 i somehow had a problem getting that bar "corrrect" ... ik keep that in mind next time i play this peace.

I am not a real beginner. Been playing clarinet for more than 40 years but i still feel like a beginner. ;) I like to see myself as an enthousiast amateur...

I played lots of things in those years, Classical music, Wind band, Jazz ensembe, Big band, Musicals and so on but never dixieland...

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks mrpeebee for listening. You are right about bar 4 i somehow had a problem getting that bar "corrrect" ... ik keep that in mind next time i play this peace.

I am not a real beginner. Been playing clarinet for more than 40 years but i still feel like a beginner. ;) I like to see myself as an enthousiast amateur...

I played lots of things in those years, Classical music, Wind band, Jazz ensembe, Big band, Musicals and so on but never dixieland...
For sure not a beginner!

The Dixieland remark was made as a compliment, because of the easy way you approach your improvisation. I play in a Big Band and we have an older member on trombone who comes from Dixieland. Not the best reader (same goes for me), but a good improviser with a relaxed approach (like you).

1 - 20 of 103 Posts