Sax on the Web Forum banner

Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for January 2020 - Night Dreamer

5K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
Happy new year my dear friends.

I'm honoured to host this month's tune and I have made a little bit challenging choise: Night Dreamer, a tune written in 1964 by Wayne Shorter. This tune was TOTM in 2011 but I think enough years have passed to bring it back:

Here scores a some backings:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xh87h7qu8jpjwil/AACi3EFmg32rWHXdLI6PDXv3a?dl=0

And now ... go with your contributions.

Ciao

#2 ·
#4 ·
Hey folks! I don't normally comment in this manner, but this is a great tune by my very favorite musician of all time, and I had a couple thoughts.

Firstly, just a wee date correction, and it may have just been a typo in the OP: Night Dreamer was released in 1964, not '84, so we can assume Wayne wrote it around then or maybe a little earlier! :)

Secondly, I was surprised to see this in the beginner/intermediate TOTM since the harmony on this tune can be challenging for many students. But it's a wonderful tune, so by all means, everyone will benefit from studying it and exploring that harmony! Just know that if you're frustrated making sense of the changes with a linear melody, you're not alone, and it's worth taking some time getting used to those shifting key centers.

Happy new year to all!

#5 ·
Hey folks! I don't normally comment in this manner, but this is a great tune by my very favorite musician of all time, and I had a couple thoughts.

Firstly, just a wee date correction, and it may have just been a typo in the OP: Night Dreamer was released in 1964, not '84, so we can assume Wayne wrote it around then or maybe a little earlier! :)
Thanks, I have corrected the typo.

Secondly, I was surprised to see this in the beginner/intermediate TOTM since the harmony on this tune can be challenging for many students. But it's a wonderful tune, so by all means, everyone will benefit from studying it and exploring that harmony! Just know that if you're frustrated making sense of the changes with a linear melody, you're not alone, and it's worth taking some time getting used to those shifting key centers.

Happy new year to all!
Yes, it is a challenging tune and I lose the path when I try to improvvise on it but I like it :) ... happy new year.

#6 ·
Just found back two old recordings from July 2011, when this tune was picked as main TOTM.

As always two quick and dirty recordings without any relevant practice or preparation, just hit and record takes. First take is a big chaos, second take a bit more controlled, but both can be scheduled under chaotic free Jazz improvisations with very limited reference to the original tune (which I don't regret, I don't like this kind of stuff too much)!

Anyhow, here are the links to my two old 'PeeBee style classics':

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 1 (full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875649

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 2 (less full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875660

Please don't listen without proper ear-protection :bluewink:!

#7 ·
Hi Peter.

"Full chaos" ? not so bad, I like it. :)

Ciao

#9 ·
A lot of work is still to do but here is my first attempt:

I have used an Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon Classic MS, differrent and softer than my usual.

Ciao

#12 ·
#18 ·
@Brendan

No bad: accurate on the time, well the theme and reasonable the impro ... some whistle to avoid, check the ligature.

Be careful, we shiny bald heads are everywhere :),

Ciao

#27 ·
Yes, every time I like Pobeda a little more! Bravo :bluewink:

#28 ·
such a huge compliment :)

After participating in a Blusette TOTM, I thought I will not even touch Night Dreamer... But just by listening Wayne, decided to put fingers on Dreamer... It was absolutely easy and I felt I did really not bad (sure better than in recording).
Usually, when I see Shorter's tune offered in TOTM it is a bit scary... but then in short tune you find so many interesting things. It is his speciality.
Great tune and I am sure I will include it in my repertoire, after playing it more often I will discover something more meaningful than happened in the recording and then I will record it.
Finally, I don't hate the recording... but it was under pressure of limited time and desire just to do this TOTM.

I saw Wayne once at our jazz fest. It was a duo concert with Herbie. He played soprano (if not mistaken, no tenor at all).
Big dark venue with 2 spotlights only on them. And not easy to digest music. But was very good experience. I saw Herbie multiple times in different presentations.

#29 ·
Hi everyone! I confess that I am not a beginner, even though improvising on Wayne Shorter tunes makes me feel like it sometimes. So I might not be supposed to post in this thread... but Wayne Shorter is my all-time hero and I absolutely love this tune, so I went ahead and made a little recording playing over a few choruses. I'm also in the process of overhauling my home studio with some new fun gear, so I enjoyed taking my new microphone for a spin on this and Bluesette. I hope you enjoy!

#32 ·
welcome Brian, it was time for some new face to come!

I liked your interpretation, precise and clean and ... nice microphone!

Ciao

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

#31 ·
well done Lionel; in a couple of years you have made a remarkable journey.

Ciao

#33 ·
My take on bari:

Ciao

#34 ·
@guidocreo : that’s a nice performance on baritone but I feel you’re a bit too flat on the high register, it gives the feeling you are tired although you are not. Maybe a problem of reed, I don’t know, I know nothing about baritone saxophone. I prefer your sound on the medium register.
I’ve just listen to your rendition on tenor, maybe the reeds you use are too weak, not enough resistance so the sound goes away.
You made a good choice, I’m not a big fan of Wayne Shorter but with this forum I begin to like him.

@HeavyWeather77 : this is a very modern sound, very accurate articulation, very modern, a lot of patterns and some blue licks, cycle of fourths sometimes, like quartal harmony and modal jazz. If I were you and if I had all the skills you’ve got, I would stay very straight into the harmony then I would add tensions and transposed patterns like you did… I think Woody Shaw (the trumpeter) used to do it ! But I’m not you.
Very good technique !!! I loved it despite I prefer things that are not so accurate, something less improved, less « neutral » and perfect.

@B Flat : I liked it, nice solo, a lot of feelings, a sound which is alive. I feel sometimes you were lost on the changes, no matter, it adds something fresh. On the other hand I’d rather you played less pentatonic scales, I know it’s difficult.

@pobeda : very weird sound but you know what you do, you are not lost in the changes, interesting to listen, there is something.

@Brendan : yes, you did it and it’s not so bad, you know. At 2:10 you should do this more.

@mrpeebee : full of humour, I love it !!! The second rendition was better. Experimentation is good.

Did I forget someone ?

#35 ·
@guidocreo : that's a nice performance on baritone but I feel you're a bit too flat on the high register, it gives the feeling you are tired although you are not. Maybe a problem of reed, I don't know, I know nothing about baritone saxophone. I prefer your sound on the medium register.
I've just listen to your rendition on tenor, maybe the reeds you use are too weak, not enough resistance so the sound goes away.
You made a good choice, I'm not a big fan of Wayne Shorter but with this forum I begin to like him.
Hi Lionel, thanks for your hear and for your comments.
Yes I'am flat on the high register and I have to work on this weakness; on tenor, instead, I was testing a different reed softer than my usual.

Ciao

#36 ·
A new take on tenor:

T Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz - JodyJazz Giant 7* - Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao

#37 ·
Only a few days left till the end of this month.

*** So we need a new B&I TOTM host for the upcoming month! ***

Please let me know in this thread or through pm when you're interested.

#38 ·
Hi to all,

it's not too late to post your contribution.

I'm looking forward to hear your takes.

Ciao

#40 ·
Thanks to all the contributors.

Ciao.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.