Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year my dear friends.

I'm honoured to host this month's tune and I have made a little bit challenging choise: Night Dreamer, a tune written in 1964 by Wayne Shorter. This tune was TOTM in 2011 but I think enough years have passed to bring it back:

Here scores a some backings:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xh87h7qu8jpjwil/AACi3EFmg32rWHXdLI6PDXv3a?dl=0

And now ... go with your contributions.

Ciao

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Welcome to 2020 ... the year of the waltz ! (so far :mrgreen: )

Good call. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,078 Posts
Hey folks! I don't normally comment in this manner, but this is a great tune by my very favorite musician of all time, and I had a couple thoughts.

Firstly, just a wee date correction, and it may have just been a typo in the OP: Night Dreamer was released in 1964, not '84, so we can assume Wayne wrote it around then or maybe a little earlier! :)

Secondly, I was surprised to see this in the beginner/intermediate TOTM since the harmony on this tune can be challenging for many students. But it's a wonderful tune, so by all means, everyone will benefit from studying it and exploring that harmony! Just know that if you're frustrated making sense of the changes with a linear melody, you're not alone, and it's worth taking some time getting used to those shifting key centers.

Happy new year to all!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey folks! I don't normally comment in this manner, but this is a great tune by my very favorite musician of all time, and I had a couple thoughts.

Firstly, just a wee date correction, and it may have just been a typo in the OP: Night Dreamer was released in 1964, not '84, so we can assume Wayne wrote it around then or maybe a little earlier! :)

Thanks, I have corrected the typo.

Secondly, I was surprised to see this in the beginner/intermediate TOTM since the harmony on this tune can be challenging for many students. But it's a wonderful tune, so by all means, everyone will benefit from studying it and exploring that harmony! Just know that if you're frustrated making sense of the changes with a linear melody, you're not alone, and it's worth taking some time getting used to those shifting key centers.

Happy new year to all!
Yes, it is a challenging tune and I lose the path when I try to improvvise on it but I like it :) ... happy new year.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Just found back two old recordings from July 2011, when this tune was picked as main TOTM.

As always two quick and dirty recordings without any relevant practice or preparation, just hit and record takes. First take is a big chaos, second take a bit more controlled, but both can be scheduled under chaotic free Jazz improvisations with very limited reference to the original tune (which I don't regret, I don't like this kind of stuff too much)!

Anyhow, here are the links to my two old 'PeeBee style classics':

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 1 (full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875649

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 2 (less full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875660

Please don't listen without proper ear-protection :bluewink:!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found back two old recordings from July 2011, when this tune was picked as main TOTM.

As always two quick and dirty recordings without any relevant practice or preparation, just hit and record takes. First take is a big chaos, second take a bit more controlled, but both can be scheduled under chaotic free Jazz improvisations with very limited reference to the original tune (which I don't regret, I don't like this kind of stuff too much)!

Anyhow, here are the links to my two old 'PeeBee style classics':

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 1 (full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875649

1. - 'Night Dreamer' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium) - take 2 (less full chaos!):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875660

Please don't listen without proper ear-protection :bluewink:!

Hi Peter.

"Full chaos" ? not so bad, I like it. :)

Ciao

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of work is still to do but here is my first attempt:

I have used an Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon Classic MS, differrent and softer than my usual.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
That was relaxing Guido ... are you sure you're not related to Peebee somehow ?? :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'm sure I saw you guys around town last week :

View attachment 250500

(I can joke because I'm not far behind)

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Brendan

No bad: accurate on the time, well the theme and reasonable the impro ... some whistle to avoid, check the ligature.

Be careful, we shiny bald heads are everywhere :),

Ciao

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,591 Posts
There are different changes in the updated/ legal real book than the sheet you provided. Which set does your backing follow?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts