Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All and a very happy new year to everyone.

As host for the Beginners and Intermediates TOTM for Jan 2019,
I have chose a very nice tune by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.

"You are too beautiful"

I have prepared a couple of backing tracks (Downloaded from youtube) and charts for Eb and Bb.
https://app.box.com/s/t8ci78plfz5jnzcaj1zrb5qaqivhhx7x
more backing track available on youtube.

for inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCEl4FGVR7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15qzfQ-YW8

Hope to hear all your versions of this lovely tune.
Nick.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Coltrane and Hartman recording of this is so lush. One of my all time favourite recordings.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Nice one Nick, good old-school type of baritone sound. I did hear some of the 'nervous' vibrato in the theme, that's something I didn't hear for a long time in your playing.

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one Nick, good old-school type of baritone sound. I did hear some of the 'nervous' vibrato in the theme, that's something I didn't hear for a long time in your playing.
Thanks Peter.
Yes I noticed the old “nanny goat” too when I listened back.
I think my air support is lacking lately from not playing as well as from my lack of fitness.
I’ve only just started running again after a six month break.
Also found the 9* link a little to open for my weak chops.
Should have just stuck to the Masterlink piece.
Will try a tenor version when I have time.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Thanks Peter.
Yes I noticed the old “nanny goat” too when I listened back.
I think my air support is lacking lately from not playing as well as from my lack of fitness.
I’ve only just started running again after a six month break.
Also found the 9* link a little to open for my weak chops.
Should have just stuck to the Masterlink piece.
Will try a tenor version when I have time.
Well as I see it nobody ever told any newborn how to breathe, and I have heard you talk about this nanny goat problem for years, so In an attempt to be helpful and taking into consideration that you have developed an ability to use your diaphragm ( and there are countless How to clips on YouTube) I think you should perhaps think about your bottom lip and if it is restricting your airflow.
PS. Don’t thank peter. He is not helping you at all.

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well as I see it nobody ever told any newborn how to breathe, and I have heard you talk about this nanny goat problem for years, so In an attempt to be helpful and taking into consideration that you have developed an ability to use your diaphragm ( and there are countless How to clips on YouTube) I think you should perhaps think about your bottom lip and if it is restricting your airflow.
PS. Don’t thank peter. He is not helping you at all.
I appreciate your advice.
And you are??

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The French school of singing features traditionally a big heavy vibrato. Think of La Piaf and Aznavour. This tradition carried over into their clarinet playing. I don't mean their classical musicians with their Boehm clarinets who had the individuality trained out of them at the Conservatoire. Listen to recordings made by the jazzier players or particularly by those from the francophonie internationale — artists like Alexandre Stellio from Martinique and Sidney Bechet from New Orleans. The same tradition carried over into their saxophone playing.

This is a long-winded way of saying that a "nanny-goat" vibrato is not necessarily a bad thing to have and in some societies is highly prized and deliberately developed. Far from being derived from technical deficiencies in breath production, a broad vibrato requires controlled breathing from the diaphragm with strongly developed abdominal muscles to produce the required effect. Whether you like or wish to emulate that effect is another matter, of course…

·
2,008 Posts
I love this live recording by Sonny Rollins - such a huge sound down at the bottom. And he seems to play as two different voices, changing for the bridge.

Rhys

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not that happy with this one, but it's my first recording I'm still figuring out how to do it well... I'm also getting used to the tenor, as I was mainly playing alto before. I think I come off a little nervous, and I'm not so happy with my tone - some notes have a bit of an uneven metal sound sort of. I think I sound better in real life, however not sure if this is a problem with my own perception or the recording... :)

I'm using a Røde NT-USB together with Garageband on an iPad. The mic was about 30 cm away from my sax and on my right side, facing the side of the sax. I added a little bass and some reverb. Happy for advice on this setup.

My sax is a Yamaha YTS-32.

https://soundcloud.com/malteof/you-are-too-beautiful

·
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not that happy with this one, but it's my first recording I'm still figuring out how to do it well... I'm also getting used to the tenor, as I was mainly playing alto before. I think I come off a little nervous, and I'm not so happy with my tone - some notes have a bit of an uneven metal sound sort of. I think I sound better in real life, however not sure if this is a problem with my own perception or the recording... :)

I'm using a Røde NT-USB together with Garageband on an iPad. The mic was about 30 cm away from my sax and on my right side, facing the side of the sax. I added a little bass and some reverb. Happy for advice on this setup.

My sax is a Yamaha YTS-32.

https://soundcloud.com/malteof/you-are-too-beautiful
Malteof: for a first recording, you made a nice job of it.
I used the same setup with my tenor recording (Rode NT-USB with GarageBand).
I’ve found this mic to be good for recording Baritone, but am still working out how to get the best out of it with Tenor.
Mine was recorded similar to yours but with the mic to my left a little.
I also turned the input level on GarageBand down to about 5% or so as I feel like I hear a slight distortion with any more.
Perhaps that is what you are hearing also.
Nick.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Re: Beginner & Intermediate TOTM for January 2019 - You Are Too Beautiful

Malteof: for a first recording, you made a nice job of it.
I used the same setup with my tenor recording (Rode NT-USB with GarageBand).
I’ve found this mic to be good for recording Baritone, but am still working out how to get the best out of it with Tenor.
Mine was recorded similar to yours but with the mic to my left a little.
I also turned the input level on GarageBand down to about 5% or so as I feel like I hear a slight distortion with any more.
Perhaps that is what you are hearing also.
Nick.
Thank you, I'll try reducing the level further. It's indeed some kind of distortion that's annoying me, and I don't hear in real life.

I was at about 50% gain in Garageband, only tried to avoid clipping.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts